Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solid motor mount install, talk about a nightmare!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 05:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Solid motor mount install, talk about a nightmare!

So I dedicated my weekend to do my solid motor mounts since my headers were sitting on the k-frame and rubbing the motor mount pedestals themselves. I started the install and got the driver side mount out and the solid mount in moved on to the passenger side and got the mount out. I noticed that when I unbolted the passenger side mount the whole drivetrain "popped" and shifted in direction. I didn't think much of it until I tried to align the through bolt... It was WAY off. To make a long story kinda short, I had to unbolt the pedestal, unbolt the trans crossmember and get a scissor jack in where I could to push the tails haft towards the pass. side to get the mounts to line up. I started all the bolts and it fought the whole way until I had them all completely tight. I thought I was done til I tried to bolt up the crossmember to find that now it was way off. I think my damn car is tweaked! Everything is done and good now just had to vent... Wow what a nightmare.

I've done the rear end, trans., cam, headers and a lot of other work on my car ( I do all the work on my car myself) and let me tell you I feel this was the most pita thing I've done to it.

Sorry for the long post, but I feel so relieved now.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good job man, how is it with the solid mounts now?
Old 03-25-2012, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mikh338
good job man, how is it with the solid mounts now?
Haven't got to test it out yet. I've got to do new valve seals on my driver side head then she's good to go. I should have it done next weekend, I don't get much time to do anything during the week.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:57 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BennyB
Haven't got to test it out yet. I've got to do new valve seals on my driver side head then she's good to go. I should have it done next weekend, I don't get much time to do anything during the week.
awesome well keep us posted, im going to do some kind of mounts myself. just not sure yet. would like to go with solid, the polys in the clamshells look like a real ***** lol
Old 03-25-2012, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mikh338
awesome well keep us posted, im going to do some kind of mounts myself. just not sure yet. would like to go with solid, the polys in the clamshells look like a real ***** lol
Yep this is why I went with solids. There's definetly a lot more room now without the big clamshells in the way
Old 03-25-2012, 08:42 PM
Launching!

do the solid mounts make for a rough ride ?
Old 03-25-2012, 08:48 PM
12 Second Club

I did solid motor mounts in my car after my first engine went i honestly dont feel that much of a difference from when my first engine was cammed (trex cam) with stock mounts, and current engine cammed (trex again) and solids. Yea it vibrates a little more at idle but to me its nothing major. I do love all the extra room you have from installing them thats for sure. Ive had them in for about 2 years now and approx 20k miles.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by devic
do the solid mounts make for a rough ride ?
Ive rode in multiple cars with solid motor mounts and I bet you wouldn't even notice unless you looked under the hood and saw them. That's how it was for me and I love being able to run any exhaust however close to the floor pan I want knowing that it's not going to bang around and slap the underbody anymore
Old 03-26-2012, 07:05 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I love mine as well. You kinda have to learn how to take off in 1st gear all over again, but it only takes a bit of driving to get familiar with it.

It vibes slightly taking off in first, but like I said, you learn the sweet spot pretty quick. I just like the idea of knowing all my power is getting transferred accordingly.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:21 AM
12 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What brand of solid mounts did you go with? I'm throwing around the idea of getting a pair for my engine swap.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:11 AM
The Scammer Hammer

I myself went with Spohns.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Had spohns I was going to install, but ended up selling them and buying the umi aluminum solids. I didn't like the fact that the spohns raise the motor, I have tight clearances as it is with my 1 7/8 primary headers. I think the spohns would have been an easier install though with no through bolts you have to worry about lining up
Old 03-26-2012, 01:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well my motor is coming out any way so it should be and easy install with that out of the way. Not worried about the aluminum ones cracking?
Old 03-26-2012, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nah not really concerned about the mounts cracking they are pretty thick. I'm more concerned about stressing the cylinder walls since its an aluminum block, but I think it will be fine
Old 03-26-2012, 06:55 PM
Launching!

my mount on the passenger side has gone bad you think the spohn's would be a good replacement choice ? also would they make it easier to instal header in the future ?
Old 03-26-2012, 09:34 PM
Teching In

i bought the umi mounts cause i was worried about raising the motor. got the driver side all bolted up. i ended up taking out the passenger pedestal but now i cant get the holes to line up. seems like the motor has to come forward half and inch.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by randay_redZ28
i bought the umi mounts cause i was worried about raising the motor. got the driver side all bolted up. i ended up taking out the passenger pedestal but now i cant get the holes to line up. seems like the motor has to come forward half and inch.
This is the same exact problem I had with mine! I ended up having to unbolt the trans xmember and push it to the passenger side to get my passenger side pedestal to line back up so I could get the threads started back into the k-frame. I feel your pain man trust me, but it will be all worth it once it's done
Old 03-27-2012, 01:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by devic
my mount on the passenger side has gone bad you think the spohn's would be a good replacement choice ? also would they make it easier to instal header in the future ?
The spohns would be a great replacement. Like I said the spohns are the solid motor mounts I was originally going to use, but ended up selling them and getting the umi solids due to the fact that they don't raise the motor as much like the spohns do. I have big primaries and a 3.5 inch collector so clearance is very tight
Old 03-27-2012, 07:23 AM
The Scammer Hammer

It raised my motor (Spohn's) but it doesn't bother me at all.

Here's a tip for finagaling the engine.... take your floor jack and a small chunk of 2x4 and put it sideways JUST in front of the oil pan plug. For me, with a t56, that was pretty much balanced. I could move the motor all over with one hand, easy.

Benny, trust me, as far as the pedestal bolts (4) and the 4 bolts on the solid mount, leave them loose; Just get the threads started a few rounds. (Of course you still have the 18mm bolt through the mount and the pedestal)

This will allow you more wiggle room to get the other side lined up as well. Then it's just a matter of tightening both sides slowly, lowering the jack slightly, keep tightening.... you'll get it.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well finally got the car complete and took it for the first drive with the solid motor mounts in. I really like the feel, feels much more rigid and solid. I haven't noticed any added vibes except that I can feel when I turn the motor over to fire it. Overall I am very pleased!

Quick Reply: Solid motor mount install, talk about a nightmare!