New to TX- have a question

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 10:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation New to TX- have a question

I just moved here to McAllen from AK and was told to change my exhaust because the loudness of it makes me a target for the gang bangers around here. Anyone know if there is any truth to this? I have the SLP loudmouth 2 with a ms3 cam so it pretty loud. Not sure what to think on this one because 2 days ago, was driving to dinner with my family and had the passenger window shot out of our Honda.....Ive only been here for 2 weeks. so lets hear you opinions.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:28 PM
On The Tree

Sounds to me like you picked a bad neighborhood. Lol. I've never heard of anything like that before. Maybe look into getting your CHL.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

With all the drug cartels and bad **** happening near the border towns I would stay away from there or at least keep a low profile.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:43 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Move north
Old 03-28-2012, 10:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1965GP
Move north
Would if i could
Old 03-28-2012, 11:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Well seeing how the window got shot out in your Honda, I wouldn't let the TA leave the garage.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:46 AM
On The Tree

I'm from the rgv...more than likely you did pick a bad neighborhood lol. The whole border thing is mostly west of mcallen (mission, rio grande city, etc.), but it is real and you'll hear about it a lot on the news. As far as the exhaust, I don't know who told you that...most lsx vehicles out here are loud. I have LT's and a y-pipe dumped before the axle. That's not gonna make you a target out here. The street racing scene is huge here in the valley btw and the racetrack should reopen very soon.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:22 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Joe Spinners
I'm from the rgv...more than likely you did pick a bad neighborhood lol. The whole border thing is mostly west of mcallen (mission, rio grande city, etc.), but it is real and you'll hear about it a lot on the news. As far as the exhaust, I don't know who told you that...most lsx vehicles out here are loud. I have LT's and a y-pipe dumped before the axle. That's not gonna make you a target out here. The street racing scene is huge here in the valley btw and the racetrack should reopen very soon.
Thanks for the input. Were getting a home here in Weslaco. I think its a little better than where were at now. Do you know of any good events in the area? Car shows, race days, etc.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:19 AM
On The Tree

Gang bangers.. I'd keep the exhaust, let me know if you want to sell it though!
Old 03-29-2012, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

I laughed when I read the words "gang bangers" but yea looks like you need to move and keep your exhaust. I don't think your exhaust makes you a target for anything, not sure who told you that but the only target you could be is to the police who sometimes like to give you crap for your loud exhaust.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:51 AM
On The Tree

Unhappy

Originally Posted by BuckNasty
Thanks for the input. Were getting a home here in Weslaco. I think its a little better than where were at now. Do you know of any good events in the area? Car shows, race days, etc.
I'm from weslaco actually haha...its nice over here and the city has grown significantly. As far as any events go, we have a forum for f-bodies here in the valley. www.southtexasfbodies.com ...any events or anything happening locally are posted there.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:55 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Chaos07
With all the drug cartels and bad **** happening near the border towns I would stay away from there or at least keep a low profile.
^^ This
Old 03-30-2012, 04:05 PM
Teching In

The valley is not a bad place to live. If ur worried that a gang banger shot ur window out. Probably not but just about everybody in da valley is carrying a gun gang banger or not. If I were u I would enroll in a CHL class and get certified to carry a gun. Better to have and not needed then need it and not have one
Old 03-30-2012, 04:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by the black02
The valley is not a bad place to live. If ur worried that a gang banger shot ur window out. Probably not but just about everybody in da valley is carrying a gun gang banger or not. If I were u I would enroll in a CHL class and get certified to carry a gun. Better to have and not needed then need it and not have one
In other words, "the valley isn't bad, just make sure to get a chl for the occasional gang banger or cartel run in, everyone else does."

Gotta be kidding with that
Old 03-30-2012, 05:06 PM
On The Tree

I would have to say its a bad neighborhood, possibly on the south side of McAllen? I use to live in McAllen and still visit, since my family is still there, and I have never had any trouble with my car being too loud. You'll start to notice all the car/truck crews, there's alot of them, especially for trucks.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:28 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How did the window get shot out?

The exhaust won't have any influence on a chuntaro wanting to steal your car or mess with it. If they're going to do the deed, they will regardless of what wheels, how loud your car is, or what color it is, etc.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm engineer for a grocery store and spend a ton of time down there working on new stores and retrofits. It's a whole different world and highly recommend packin a heater.