Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loudest place to put cutouts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 05:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Loudest place to put cutouts?

I'm looking into getting dual cutouts. I want to know where is the loudest place to put them. I have seen the QTP dual cutout y pipe and that would be pretty cool to have but probably over my budget. Can you get a y pipe and take it to a fabricator and maybe they can do that? I plan on getting 2 e-cutouts. I want it to come from a stock exhaust sound with headers and with the flip of a switch just have it outrageously loud and annoying sound. Any suggestions? And can someone show me a full exhaust system from longtube headers to the y pipe to the tips that is not attached to the car?

Last edited by Joshua101994; 04-05-2012 at 05:50 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

right after the headers would probably be your best bet
Old 04-05-2012, 05:31 PM
Launching!

if you have ay pipe you dont need 2 cut outs,, one should be enough..
if you put them before the cats then yeah, its so loud and you need 2!
i wanted to that with mine!
Old 04-05-2012, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had dual cutouts on my old car...right after the longtube headers on the straight sections of the ypipe. Its very loud, just like open headers. It also changes your a/f ratio alot so you will need to tune with them open, then be a little rich with them closed. My a/f changed almost a whole point from 13.4 to 12.6 open to close. You dont want to be at like 13.1 or so closed, then go open and be close to 14:1! I also picked up 21 rwhp over a magnaflow catback on the dyno in back to back pulls.

I suggest getting the regular cutouts, replacing the wingnuts with lock washers and regular nuts, and not using electric cutouts, unless you can swing the DMH low profiles. There isnt much space between the bottom of the headers and the ground as is. The cutouts will sit very low and the electric cutouts even a little lower on the mouth of the cutouts, and they will take alot of abuse compared to using just one back under the rear seats in that opening. I had mccord dual electric cutouts and they were great for 3 months at a time, but kept tearing up. Its not a great place for them. I just used the normal plates, and kept a wrench in the car to open and close them. they are pretty easy to reach right off the headers. I had this setup for at least 4 years...trust me, its abusive on the electric cutouts.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by moeZ28
I had dual cutouts on my old car...right after the longtube headers on the straight sections of the ypipe. Its very loud, just like open headers. It also changes your a/f ratio alot so you will need to tune with them open, then be a little rich with them closed. My a/f changed almost a whole point from 13.4 to 12.6 open to close. You dont want to be at like 13.1 or so closed, then go open and be close to 14:1! I also picked up 21 rwhp over a magnaflow catback on the dyno in back to back pulls.

I suggest getting the regular cutouts, replacing the wingnuts with lock washers and regular nuts, and not using electric cutouts, unless you can swing the DMH low profiles. There isnt much space between the bottom of the headers and the ground as is. The cutouts will sit very low and the electric cutouts even a little lower on the mouth of the cutouts, and they will take alot of abuse compared to using just one back under the rear seats in that opening. I had mccord dual electric cutouts and they were great for 3 months at a time, but kept tearing up. Its not a great place for them. I just used the normal plates, and kept a wrench in the car to open and close them. they are pretty easy to reach right off the headers. I had this setup for at least 4 years...trust me, its abusive on the electric cutouts.
Thanks for the heads up just might save me $400 plus like $300 install. Can you show me a picture of where exactly to put the cutouts? What was your exhaust setup?
Old 04-05-2012, 06:32 PM

lol let me know how this works out bro. im in Manvel and just picked up a Z28 ls1 and was also interested in cutouts.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DirtyLs1
lol let me know how this works out bro. im in Manvel and just picked up a Z28 ls1 and was also interested in cutouts.
will let you know as soon as its done and will probably make a youtube vid of the exhaust sound when i get it
Old 04-05-2012, 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep, right behind the headers. Thats where i have I have mine, i love the sound.

Quick Reply: Loudest place to put cutouts?