Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Few TransAm questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 11:56 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Few TransAm questions

Looking into purchasing a Formula or TransAm in the next few months.

Had a few questions I thought you guys could answer.

I really like the convertible model, and was wondering what the trade off between the models is? I know the convertible is heavier, but is there a big difference in performance? And is it noisy when the top is not dropped down? What's the price difference between a regular and convertible model?

Also, are there any years I should avoid? I'd rather get a '98 since they are cheaper, but are there any specific problems with any of the years?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-25-2004, 12:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, any LS1 is good! Im a little biased!

Anything after 2000 does not have the EGR system. Convertibles have a speed limiter if I am not mistaken, and weigh more so they are a little slower in the 1/4 mile. I would go with the t-tops because you get the same open air effect. I just like the hard t-top myself, but it is personal perference. It is a bit noiser than a t-top, becuase you have a more open envirnoment. I would say that the best year to get would be 01-02 becuase they had some time to work out the bugs and change a few things around.
Old 03-25-2004, 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

98's had the different bolt pattern , perimeter bolts instead of center bolts, 98's also had the better injectors if I remeber right. Verts are prone to leaking from what I've heard. But, when I had my WS6 the t-tops leaked too so I don't know if that matters. Just my $.02
Old 03-25-2004, 01:02 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by boos2
98's had the different bolt pattern , perimeter bolts instead of center bolts, 98's also had the better injectors if I remeber right. Verts are prone to leaking from what I've heard. But, when I had my WS6 the t-tops leaked too so I don't know if that matters. Just my $.02
01 & 02
* reverted to using the larger injectors.
* have the LS6 intake.
* have a different cam
* lots of other small changes
* a little more power (from different cam and LS6 intake)

--VIP1
Old 03-25-2004, 01:12 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by VIP1
01 & 02
* reverted to using the larger injectors.
* have the LS6 intake.
* have a different cam
* lots of other small changes
* a little more power (from different cam and LS6 intake)

--VIP1
I plan on modding the car, so cam and intake don't really matter much since they will be replaced. Any other problems?

Anyone actually own a convertible?
Old 03-25-2004, 02:14 PM
TECH Addict

I have a T-Top. However, I beleive the convertibles (besides being heavier) will require addl frame stiffening.
Old 03-25-2004, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would perfer a t-top or hard top model than a convertable. The covert weighs more and it's slower IMO.
Old 03-25-2004, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

The vert is slower. I've got t-tops and its better than a vert IMO. T-tops give you that rigid structure and open air motoring...best of both worlds.
Old 03-25-2004, 08:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tell me if im wrong, but the 98' seemed to have more of a oil consumption problem unless you upgrade the pcv system to the newer ones.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

If price is a concern, you might want to go talk to your insurance agent first. 'Verts are quite a bit more than coupes. Also, they didn't make a ls1 formula convertable.
Old 03-25-2004, 11:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a convertiable 02 WS-6 Its great, very quite with the top up or down, I often talk on the cell phone with the top down on the freeway. One big thing you do give up is storage room in the trunk. The frame and A-pillar I think are already both stiffer than the others. A lot less hassle to lower the top than to take the T-tops off.
Old 03-26-2004, 10:10 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would skip the 98 just because I don't like to buy the first model year of a new thing (eg. valve cover bolts, computer, etc...)
Old 03-26-2004, 10:21 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ackattack1
If price is a concern, you might want to go talk to your insurance agent first. 'Verts are quite a bit more than coupes. Also, they didn't make a ls1 formula convertable.
Not true they did make a couple each year. Good luck finding one though
http://www.cofba.org/users/reckless/production.html
Old 03-26-2004, 11:55 AM
Chop-Foo Director

Originally Posted by ataylors
One big thing you do give up is storage room in the trunk.

You mean, there is usable space in the non-vert trunk? I'm
having serious issues trying to find it in mine
Old 03-26-2004, 12:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I believe you have me beat in the trunk department Pendragonz

As far as the original question - what is the purpose of the car? Racing - go hard top. Daily driver w/ a little track time here and there - t-tops. Summer cruiser - go vert.
Dan
Old 03-26-2004, 12:24 PM
TECH Resident

Over 98 to 02, there were very few differences, just minor things. As far as the 'Vert vs. T-Top vs. Hard, I say T-top. I noticed someone say its easier to lower the convertible. Thats true, but its quicker/easier by a matter of seconds. It takes VERY little time to take the T's off! Plus, a t-top is faster and looks more badass IMO
Old 03-26-2004, 12:44 PM
12 Second Club

I dont kno bout you guys...but the bnack row witha convertible looks bad IMO...and those cars are a bit heavier...but like DAN (DANSLS1GTO) stated....depends what the use is...and since youll be modding i take it...youll be hitting up the tracks....and also like AckAttack1 said....insurance mayb be a factor for you....

I say T-Tops....best of both worlds....lighter then Verts...fastr then Verts...and The Pimp factor is jsut about the same lol...they all look great either way you put it if you love the F-bods....but its your opinion if you want a Vert...go for it

i never heard of sound problems with either tops up or down...
98's are nice cars....the only things you possibly would worry bout....is failure because of bugs GM didnt work out....should be good to go for Emissions control...depending where you live and all....so yeah...

GOOD LUCK
Old 03-26-2004, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I own a convertible and really enjoy it.I also race it.I've beaten every stock T/A i've raced by merely putting 3.42 gears,catback exhaust,and a lid on it.I hook up really well too,i think the added weight helps.

I'm sure it's louder inside then a non convert. car,but it doesn't bother me at all,i like being able to hear the other vehicles approaching me,you hear more while racing too.

As for getting wet inside the car all i can say is that i don't drive mine in the rain,it's not my daily driver.

http://community.webshots.com/user/eddiemuch

I get a lot of looks.
Old 03-26-2004, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

being a former convertible owner (95 gt vert), of course to get that 5.slow up to par i had to change the heads intake and cam and port the **** out of everything and add lt's...but i eventually ended up with 318 rwhp after tuning without a power adder. And i was still a bit slower than a comporablely equipped 5.0 coupe. so i just added a 125 wet shot and that pretty much cured that problem.

must dos if you are going to mod...first and foremost..subframe connectors. its a must! enough said. i've heard that a strut tower brace does help out with stiffening up the car but honestly...i used to take mine off all the time and felt no difference. so for whatever that is worth...

i've always thought of it this way...i had teh vert for cruising. I didnt race it ( i took it to the track once just to see how i could do on the juice and off the juice) it was a loud ***** getter. even had mksmwet as my license plate for a few weeks before i was "informed" i had to change it. I couldn't find a deal on a vert ls1 so i got the ttops...and i love the t-tops.

just test drive as many as you can. and see what you like.
hope that helped
Travis
Old 03-26-2004, 02:42 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the info.

This will not be my daily driver, but will also not be a track machine. I'm looking for a very fast cruising vehicle. So if a convertible is going to make me lose .2 in the quarter, it doesn't really matter. I'm not going to put slicks on it or anything, it's just for fun. I'm getting a cherokee for my driver. Most cars around here can't hang with a stock LS1 anyway.

I noticed the pricing and availabilities for the convertible aren't as good as the hard or t-tops, so that may affect my decision. I'll just have to see what comes around.

Another question, I've read that the stock rearend is crap and needs to be replaced. If I don't run it with slicks, am I still going to need a huge rearend in it? I mean, if i'm running it on street tires and not really going for a 5K launch, do I need to drop 2 grand on a rear?

Thanks again.