Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my car so far - 4 Door Chevelle (picturessss)

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 09:32 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my car so far - 4 Door Chevelle (picturessss)

ive had the car about a year so far and it's my first car. 19 then(20 now) and on a college budget i decided to by a car that was running/drivable, then turn that into my daily driver/project car. the chevelle came with a 350tbi/700r4, body panels seemed straight, and was/is covered with a poor paint job.

the police caprice 350 seemed like it would have been fast(i didnt know what fast was) and it had enough torque on the test drive, so i brought it home. everythings ran great but it was slow as hell after 2nd gear (horrible highway runs :/

I started buying little things here and there(intake, longtubes, etc) and really it all didnt help much. I got around to saving up and my dads a bit of a gearhead himself(grow up in punjab, modifying his tractors lol) so we decided to look into a little top end kit(and a carb conversion) to install/learn with. my brother suggested for me to just rip out everything and do a lsx swap(he has a procharged ls1 camaro ss)... we all decided that would be the best bang for the buck given my car is daily driven/my only car. being my first car i didnt know much about working on cars hands on, but it was all very simple stuff once i got the ball rolling(plus ive grown up in the hardware store since i was a few years old). i started looking around and with lots of help from this section i was able to get just about everything i needed. i learned everything as i went along and did my whole install by myself(firewall work, engine/trans install, an hoses, etc.) in the back yard of my dad's hardware store. its taken my 5 months, working on the car on weekends and reading up on everything between classes on the weekdays... money has been super tight but this is how it all sits so far. so far no major problems - ive been driving it around everyday for a few weeks now

LQ4(30K miles) and a 4L80E Trans(picked it up for $350 with everything on it)

Future plans: S60 rear end, shaved handles, interior and get the body all straight/repaint

Taken today:

Some random photos throughout the process:

Some of the car:

What I want it to look like ONE DAY: (just with the same blue and the glasstek cowl im running)

a little video from the other day (stock 10 bolt/one tire fire):

http://www.facebook.com/v/286273541449335

Last edited by SIKHS 5; 04-06-2012 at 10:18 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:41 PM
On The Tree

Good lord that thing looks I wish I had your college budget you are be every lucky
Old 04-06-2012, 09:45 PM
On The Tree

looks great. the firewall smoothing turned out well.

Why did you cut the holes in the trans tunnel for the cooling lines? Did you build something to go back over it?
Old 04-06-2012, 09:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by camfreak
Good lord that thing looks I wish I had your college budget you are be every lucky
haha yes, my dad helped with getting the engine itself. there's no way i would have been able to save up enough anytime soon.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Killer. I am in my 3rd year of college and doing a muscle car as well but no LS (yet).
Mine is slowly nickel and diming me to being a classic broke college student.

Good luck
Old 04-06-2012, 09:50 PM
On The Tree

Man don't ever sale that car man I wish I could find one
Old 04-06-2012, 10:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by rfrankb4
looks great. the firewall smoothing turned out well.

Why did you cut the holes in the trans tunnel for the cooling lines? Did you build something to go back over it?
Thanks it was my first shot at body work, evercoat metal2metal helped alot/was by base for everything. I had to skim everything at the end lightly with bondo to get a smooth finish(metal2metal alone wasn't sanding too smooth)

i had to cut the holes in the trans tunnel to get to the cooler lines, i still need to put something together to cover it all. im guessing a humped plate i can rivet on then seal will silicone and sound deadner?(just incase i need to let to the cooler lines again)
Old 04-07-2012, 04:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by SIKHS 5
im guessing a humped plate i can rivet on then seal will silicone and sound deadner?(just incase i need to let to the cooler lines again)
Don't use silicone to seal sheet metal, it will cause it to rust, instead, get you some good quality seam sealer, urethanes are the best.

And I have to say, I'm just glad to see a 20 year old that isn't driving a primered Honda Civic with a fart can exhaust on it! Keep up the good work!
Old 04-07-2012, 10:14 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks good. Congrats. Where did you get your mount kit from? Is that the Get Disc Brakes kit? I bought my 4 wheel disc brake conversion kit from them last year. I like them and it turned out pretty nice.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:22 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
Don't use silicone to seal sheet metal, it will cause it to rust, instead, get you some good quality seam sealer, urethanes are the best.

And I have to say, I'm just glad to see a 20 year old that isn't driving a primered Honda Civic with a fart can exhaust on it! Keep up the good work!
thanks for the tip!

i'm glad im not driving hopped up civic either haha, most people are surprised to see me(a turbaned sikh rolling around with this as my daily driver). we might only make up less that 0.38% of the world's population, but damn do i know alot of Sikh kids my age with muscle cars. When i was younger i remember all the older guys had LS1 Camaros and 03/04 Cobras, now i'm seeing alot more guys transitioning into classic muscle.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:24 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CutLS
Looks good. Congrats. Where did you get your mount kit from? Is that the Get Disc Brakes kit? I bought my 4 wheel disc brake conversion kit from them last year. I like them and it turned out pretty nice.
The mounting kit was from BRP and i also ran a LH8 oil pan on the LQ4

anddd yeahhh, it's a get Disc Brakes kit pieced together with a 9" booster - just i already '68 front disc assemblies on the car
Old 04-10-2012, 03:53 AM
8 Second Club

Awesome build. Very unique.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SIKHS 5
ive had the car about a year so far and it's my first car. 19 then(20 now) and on a college budget i decided to by a car that was running/drivable, then turn that into my daily driver/project car. the chevelle came with a 350tbi/700r4, body panels seemed straight, and was/is covered with a poor paint job.

the police caprice 350 seemed like it would have been fast(i didnt know what fast was) and it had enough torque on the test drive, so i brought it home. everythings ran great but it was slow as hell after 2nd gear (horrible highway runs :/

I started buying little things here and there(intake, longtubes, etc) and really it all didnt help much. I got around to saving up and my dads a bit of a gearhead himself(grow up in punjab, modifying his tractors lol) so we decided to look into a little top end kit(and a carb conversion) to install/learn with. my brother suggested for me to just rip out everything and do a lsx swap(he has a procharged ls1 camaro ss)... we all decided that would be the best bang for the buck given my car is daily driven/my only car. being my first car i didnt know much about working on cars hands on, but it was all very simple stuff once i got the ball rolling(plus ive grown up in the hardware store since i was a few years old). i started looking around and with lots of help from this section i was able to get just about everything i needed. i learned everything as i went along and did my whole install by myself(firewall work, engine/trans install, an hoses, etc.) in the back yard of my dad's hardware store. its taken my 5 months, working on the car on weekends and reading up on everything between classes on the weekdays... money has been super tight but this is how it all sits so far. so far no major problems - ive been driving it around everyday for a few weeks now

LQ4(30K miles) and a 4L80E Trans(picked it up for $350 with everything on it)

Future plans: S60 rear end, shaved handles, interior and get the body all straight/repaint

Taken today:

Some random photos throughout the process:

Some of the car:

What I want it to look like ONE DAY: (just with the same blue and the glasstek cowl im running)

a little video from the other day (stock 10 bolt/one tire fire):

http://www.facebook.com/v/286273541449335

I like your better then the black one,you see the black torq thruster style all the time---yours is sweet....4DSC 4 door sports coupe
Old 04-18-2012, 04:20 AM
Staging Lane

Take lots of pics and detail the project well. This will be an amazing car when you're all done.

I agree though, yours looks better then the black car.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good job, keep up the good work! Continue to take photos, you will look back one day and pat yourself on the back for your hard work.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:59 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good build man..keep us posted...proud to be sikh..
Old 07-23-2012, 07:36 AM
Staging Lane

I'm taking a similar route building up an old sedan too.
Nice work with your project!
Old 07-23-2012, 07:56 AM
11 Second Club

very nice build.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

i really like the blue/black wheel combo you have going, gives it a "stock car" look. very clean so far!

Quick Reply: my car so far - 4 Door Chevelle (picturessss)