Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Help me pick out some heads!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 11:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me pick out some heads!

What's up guys. I did a quick search and didn't come up with any threads that quite fit the bill, so I was hoping that I might be able to come up with the info to get exactly what I need.

So what I've got right now is an LS3 that has been stroked out to 415 C.I.
It runs an Eagle Crank, Eagle H-Beam rods, Diamond Pistons with a -11cc dish, decent sized cam and a 3.6 litre Kenne Bell Supercharger(has the capability to run anywhere from 12-23psi.)

The heads currently used are standard casting LS3's that have been ported and otherwise not well polished units, AND FOR SOME REASON they only have a 68cc combustion chamber?! With LS9 gaskets that puts my compression somewhere around 10.3:1?

When I built this engine I expected the compression to be somewhere around 9.6:1 assuming a 72cc combustion chamber, however that wasn't the case because I did my math incorrectly, and I never could figure out why I couldn't run more than about 8* of timing at 17psi on race gas and the Intake Air Temperature would freaking skyrocket under boost..... Till I pulled out the blueprints on the heads and found that the combustion chamber was so small.

So.... Now I'm in the market for heads, and as I understand it, the Cadillac CTS-V heads (LSA) have 75cc combustion chambers to start with, and an appropriate deck for boost.

Is this the series of heads I want to go with?

Also I had intentions of this engine producing around 1100 horsepower, so that means it's run at pretty high boost whenever it's not being street driven, what kind of valves should I go with? I run no more than 6,500rpm and I use the traditional valvetrain setup (Lunati Hydraulic Roller Lifters, Yella Terra 1.7 ratio rockers, and Manley 7.4" pushrods.) Going through 1 7/8" Long tubes to dual straight 3" piping.

And who does outstanding porting work of these heads? I'm trying to keep restriction (heat) down in them as much as possible. Can the head porter (safely) enlarge the combustion chamber a bit more, say 78cc to get my compression around 9.5:1?

Oh and also, Budget isn't really much of a concern here either, I'm looking for the best. Sorry for the long drawn out explanation. Thanks guys!

Last edited by IDRIVEAG8GT; 04-09-2012 at 01:31 AM.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:13 AM
TECH Regular

Did I ask a riddle?
Old 04-10-2012, 12:12 AM
TECH Regular

Well I'm pretty much stuck on Cadillac LSA heads from WCCH. Excellent flow, and Richard informed me he could get to a 78cc combustion chamber by simply hacking a bit more meat than usual in the bowl as he ports and polishes the heads. It will be assembled with Inconel stainless steel exhaust valves, and I suppose, lightweight intake valves(hollow/sodium filled)

I also chose Lunati dual gold .660 lift springs to be assembled on to the head for my cam.

Sorry to keep beating a dead horse here, hopefully someone will drop a bit of insight?

Quick Reply: Help me pick out some heads!