Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans. Problem!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 03:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Trans. Problem!!!!!!!

I recently had problems with my trany not shifting right... When the car is cold.. When you turn the car off for a min. or two it will shift fine...Well i hooked my OBDII to it while ago & I have a PO785 code. "Shift/Timing Solenoid malfunction"........... Is this serious, What does it mean & how can I fix this problem?
Old 03-26-2004, 02:00 PM
10 Second Club

Anybody?????????????
Old 03-26-2004, 02:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Van,
Have the 3-2 shift solenoid repalced.This is the source of your problem.

Tony
Old 04-13-2004, 08:50 AM
10 Second Club

I replaced the 3-2 shift solenoid, & I still have the same problem... Still throwing the same code, still doing the same thing when I go to drive the car.... Why would everything be fine after I turn the car & then back on? Do you think it could be the othe solenoid? It fells like it dosent have 1st or 4th, when I first drive, before I turn the car off & then back on.. This is really frustrating......... Does anyone have any clues?????????????
Old 04-13-2004, 09:50 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hey listen up

hey pewter Z, Hey there are several things that happen when PO785 code rears it ugly head they are as fallows: illuminates the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL), commands a soft landing to third gear, commands maximum line pressure, inhibits TCC engagement (lock up), inhibits 4th gear , freezes shift adaps from being updated, stores freeze frame and failure records, stores DTC PO785, in PCM history. Having said the following it is imparative that you remove the codes after the repair. If you don't it will contuine to go into limp in. If you've removed the codes and you are sure they are gone then and only then start looking for the following: continuous open,short to ground, or short to power in the 3-2 SS valve assembly circuit. To answer your question No I don't belive it is any other shift solenoid. I hope this helps remember you can fix this thing, thanks Dave.
Old 04-13-2004, 10:48 AM
10 Second Club

When you say get rid of codes, I erased them with an OBDII Scanner... Is that good or do I need to try something else? Also where are all the grounds located that I should be looking for? How do I check the short of power to the 3-2 SS? See it never done this until the day I had my stall installed, So its possible that a ground was left off... Ive checked all the connections already, they all seem fine. But why does the trans. act normal after you shut the car off for a min. then back on???
Old 04-14-2004, 10:10 AM
10 Second Club

tttt....
Old 04-14-2004, 10:31 AM
Banned

Hey pewter Z, Start with your case connector, disconnect it and get a mirrow see if any of your prongs are mis alinged, very common problem, check to see if your ground strap is disconnected. check for broken wires...fallow your wireing harness see if it pinched between engine and tranny, make sure your wireing harness isn't violated in any way. .....Hope this helps......Dave
Old 04-14-2004, 12:37 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks alot for all the suggestions... I hope I can find my problem... I will put it on the jack stands as soon as I get off work to start checking.....
Old 04-19-2004, 09:06 PM
10 Second Club

Ok I changed all the shift solenoids, put the trans back together.... SAME PROBLEM!!!! I take the trans back apart only to dscover this time I think I may have finally found my problem... Im not sure if it is a solenoid or not but it looks like one... its on the driver side front of the trans.. (Closest to the bellhousing) It held in by the same horse shoe shaped pin....The conector looks like it was once one piece with the solenoid, but now only the two prongs are holding it in... I know theres know possible way that its getting a good conection, Its barely conected & pulls out very easily..So My question what is this? Is this the lock up solenoid? Also Do i have to take pretty much the whole bottom section out of the trans to change this or how would be the best way to do this?
Old 04-20-2004, 08:02 AM
10 Second Club

Anyone?????????????
Old 04-20-2004, 09:45 AM
Banned

Hey Pewter, Just pull the pin out that holds the solenoid in . You do not have to remove the valve body. I hope this helps. Dave
Old 04-20-2004, 09:51 AM
10 Second Club

The pin is backwards compared to the other two on the rear... It looks like the pin has to pull from the top.... Also what is is?