LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

CAI what are you running?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 12:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAI what are you running?

Im getting ready to buy the Trinity and want to get a CAI seems like the K&N is pretty popular. Are there any other ones available? I am looking for a high quality one with the best results in HP. Or should I just do a FW intake there was one a while back just dont remember who sells the kit now. I had a wizaired in my Impy SS (L67) and I thought it was a piece of garbage quality wize. So I'm pretty picky.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cold Air Inductions is what I have. Basically the same thing as the K&N but actually insulates the cone.

This is the exact one I have:
http://www.coldairinductions.com/sto...oated-black-62

Now if you really wanted to see some results you would do a Ram Air headlight modification and do a LS1/LS6 intake swap along with it
Old 04-09-2012, 02:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i got the drivers side headlight with the high beam hole already cut out and ready to go if u wanna buy it lol. could be a little sanded and clean up to look nicer but will do the job
Old 04-09-2012, 02:22 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by gxp-miller-gxp
i got the drivers side headlight with the high beam hole already cut out and ready to go if u wanna buy it lol. could be a little sanded and clean up to look nicer but will do the job
I'm interested pics and pricing?
Old 04-09-2012, 02:52 PM
TECH Regular

Im running the K&N CAI system
Old 04-09-2012, 02:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lVloses
Cold Air Inductions is what I have. Basically the same thing as the K&N but actually insulates the cone.

This is the exact one I have:
http://www.coldairinductions.com/sto...oated-black-62

Now if you really wanted to see some results you would do a Ram Air headlight modification and do a LS1/LS6 intake swap along with it

You happy with the quality? Is it a direct bolt in? Now the dumb question: is it really loud? Im getting the tuner soon so I can get rid of the DOD and want to get a custom tune with the CAI so Im not messing with it again and my wife is gonna be driving it for the next few months till we get her something else.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:03 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by steves ls6
You happy with the quality? Is it a direct bolt in? Now the dumb question: is it really loud? Im getting the tuner soon so I can get rid of the DOD and want to get a custom tune with the CAI so Im not messing with it again and my wife is gonna be driving it for the next few months till we get her something else.
Quality is really great I think. Pretty much unhook your old box and throw in the new one. It's a snug fit but it fits. All your sensors just bolt into the new box. And as for loudness I couldn't tell a difference, but then again I did the exhaust at the same time so my exhaust may drone out the sound the air filter causes. I also saw about a 2.5-3mpg increase compared to my stock filter and air box. It comes with everything you need to switch out the stock air box and will take you 20-30min to swap out. If you can afford it I would buy it.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lVloses
I'm interested pics and pricing?
its more of something you would only use for the track to be honest. not a fashion statement by any means.
5 bucks and whatever shipping is and you can have it. i have no use for it. i was gonna sand it down more to make it have a cleaner look but my drill died on me and dont have the time for it.
if u actually want it just pm me.

i used it a few times going to the track, its convenient because i can have a driver side light there and back and while on the track
Old 04-09-2012, 03:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

cold air inductions is what i have. Its by far the nicest and install only took 15minutes or so. I would stay away from k&n i fell like they suck the heat from the engine bay in. The cai has an isulated box to keep the heat out.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:06 PM
Launching!

I built this:

it has a plexi lid and everything. it is double wall and between those 2 sheets of metal are 2 layers of header wrap. it is painted with the high temp ceramic paint. I have about 200 bucks including header wrap and all welding supplies.

Another benefit is this is setup as all 4" with the exception of the MAF and TB obviously. I plan on an upgrade to a FAST 90 and 90mm TB with a matching MAF. I wanted it all to be ready to rock. i change 2 couplers and i'm golden like a retriever.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by fubar569
I built this:

it has a plexi lid and everything. it is double wall and between those 2 sheets of metal are 2 layers of header wrap. it is painted with the high temp ceramic paint. I have about 200 bucks including header wrap and all welding supplies.

Another benefit is this is setup as all 4" with the exception of the MAF and TB obviously. I plan on an upgrade to a FAST 90 and 90mm TB with a matching MAF. I wanted it all to be ready to rock. i change 2 couplers and i'm golden like a retriever.
Very cool. Too bad for me IDK how to weld but Im good a writing checks LOL.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:23 PM
Teching In

I used the same elbow as he did when i made mine... But mine looks stock and any body can do it....

45* silicone elbow, and a K&N drop in filter is basically all it is... but cut the front of the air box out to match the opening in the metal support behind the head light. I used some weather stripping foam to seal the cut factory air box to the support so that it sucks all the air form behind the head light and non from the engine compartment. People that dont know better think its stock... it cost me like $45 to make too.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Cold Air Inductions for me.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CAMyers720
I used the same elbow as he did when i made mine... But mine looks stock and any body can do it....

45* silicone elbow, and a K&N drop in filter is basically all it is... but cut the front of the air box out to match the opening in the metal support behind the head light. I used some weather stripping foam to seal the cut factory air box to the support so that it sucks all the air form behind the head light and non from the engine compartment. People that dont know better think its stock... it cost me like $45 to make too.
Pictures?
Old 04-10-2012, 08:57 PM
Launching!

of modifying the stock airbox...not recommended. well it is in a sense...but the panel filters do not flow as well as a cone and the stock airbox and intake tract is massively prone to heatsoak which pulls additional timing that really shouldn't be pulled...
Old 04-11-2012, 09:26 AM
Teching In

Cold Air Inductions
Old 04-11-2012, 09:49 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Cold Air Inductions on mine....

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 04-11-2012, 10:18 AM
TECH Addict

I modded the stock airbox on mine, seemed to free up some extra flow.

Quick Reply: CAI what are you running?