Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

WELD RTS innerwheel etched?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 03:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Default WELD RTS innerwheel etched?

Went to pickup my rear wheels and tires (weld 15x 10 and 275 M/T's) and the inside of wheel(like where brake/rotors sit) it is all etched with some brown stuff looks like from when put together and almost looks like rust.Left them there and not taking like that and waiting to hear from weld right now.My fronts dont have nothing like that they do have a dull finish but can live with that just wonder if anyone else have same problem
Old 04-10-2012, 04:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Well I havent had that problem. But one of my rears was slightly bent. They couldnt be properly balance, But I really didnt feel like dealing with sending it back and blah blah, so I just said **** it
Old 04-10-2012, 04:32 PM
11 Second Club

I hear ya lucky I'm not ready to take out yet and would of said same. Heres pic
Old 04-10-2012, 05:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yuck ... I wouldn't have been happy with that either. Mine were perfect right out of the box, although, I was missing one mag lug washer. A quick trip to O'Reilly's fixed that though.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:29 PM
11 Second Club

Nice stance!!!!
Old 04-10-2012, 06:04 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 01badbird
Nice stance!!!!
... thanks. I am installing rear coil overs now, so the rear may come down a bit for the track (whatever gets me hooking) and a whole lot with my ZR1's for the street when I get my front coil overs. That photo is the stock height with the hose mod and an S60.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:11 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would have sent that back, weld lives on there high quality , im sure they will make it right,honest a lil polish would more than lokely take that right out,but why should you polish brand new wheels, camarodude, im glad you finally got a set of welds but the last thing i want is a bent drag wheel, at such a high rate of speed that is the last thing i want to have an issue with
Old 04-12-2012, 07:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Especially at that price! Welds arnt cheap at all and I think if I was sent a bent wheel from them I would be sending.it back and get a % off for inconvenience. When you buy something at a high price like that you are buying a quality name and they should stand behind it. And when you buy a quality name you are supposed to be avoiding this type of problem and should be able to bolt right on and go. Not be down for a week or so waiting for them to fix their problem. I am disapointed with weld after reading this. This type of thing should never happen from a huge company like them. Doesn't anyone look at them before they go in the box? I'm not polishing a brand new rim. Weld can polish it lol!
Old 04-12-2012, 07:38 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by evilz99
Especially at that price! Welds arnt cheap at all and I think if I was sent a bent wheel from them I would be sending.it back and get a % off for inconvenience. When you buy something at a high price like that you are buying a quality name and they should stand behind it. And when you buy a quality name you are supposed to be avoiding this type of problem and should be able to bolt right on and go. Not be down for a week or so waiting for them to fix their problem. I am disapointed with weld after reading this. This type of thing should never happen from a huge company like them. Doesn't anyone look at them before they go in the box? I'm not polishing a brand new rim. Weld can polish it lol!
To Weld Racing's defense, it is unlikely that someone packed a bent rim. Anything can happen in transit. It would be easy for one of these boxed wheels to fall on a floor and bend. I do agree that Weld Racing should be contacted, the wheel sent back and a new wheel sent without fuss.

Now the staining is a whole different story ... I see no defense for that.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:15 PM
On The Tree

They use a heavy lube so that the inner will release from the die after being drawn, that with the heat associated with the draw/die has burnt some of that lube into the top of the aluminum.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jjordan
They use a heavy lube so that the inner will release from the die after being drawn, that with the heat associated with the draw/die has burnt some of that lube into the top of the aluminum.
Hmmmm ... interesting fact.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:50 AM
11 Second Club

Was also told that was due to process but come on sending out wheels like that? Getting disappointed with the whole process I orderered thru local dealer so I could check rims b-4 tires mounted for fitment because once mounted they are yours and found this stuff. This started monday and still haven't heard what weld wants to do.Guy at shop said maybe they will have polished but I won't accept unless entire set is polished (they are a dull finish)sent weld message about problem and link to this site/topic so don't know if they will look but hope the responses will back up my concerns.Thanks guys
Old 04-13-2012, 06:12 AM
Captain Double Post

Badbird now im just asking but have ya tried a lil metal polish on a spot? I m totally on your side and new wheels should be perfect but if they will clean up it might make life easier for ya
Old 04-13-2012, 08:00 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 01badbird
Was also told that was due to process but come on sending out wheels like that? Getting disappointed with the whole process I orderered thru local dealer so I could check rims b-4 tires mounted for fitment because once mounted they are yours and found this stuff. This started monday and still haven't heard what weld wants to do.Guy at shop said maybe they will have polished but I won't accept unless entire set is polished (they are a dull finish)sent weld message about problem and link to this site/topic so don't know if they will look but hope the responses will back up my concerns.Thanks guys
Call them directly .... when I sent in my RT-S rebate form last year, I left off my zip code. I received a call from them asking for it so they could send it to the correct address. I was impressed they took the time to call me and they were very nice!
Old 04-13-2012, 04:34 PM
11 Second Club

Would try to polish but soon as I do anything to wheels they are mine (suggested that i would try) so sending back to weld and gonna cost me lil more but insides will look like outsides.Everyone involved is working with me but they assume most use is for racing and most don't care.Don't know if you've seen car but I've put to much work into the details to go with the dull looking insides (almost paint like? wish I had betterpics)Prob will be set back 1-2 weeks here is set when I got home to check fitment.Thanks again for the input!!!
Old 04-22-2012, 07:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Well I will be sending weld a message just for ***** and giggles about my bent rear rim. I mean the car is stateside and im back over seas so I cant send the wheels back at this moment, I will let you guys know about any update.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:13 AM
Captain Double Post

Yeah bud for sure i would not want a bent drag wheel,and if there still in the boxes send them back, badbird i understand how much detail you have put into your car so i understand totally where your coming from, and as soon as you use polish the others will never match,the last rims i got new were some 24s for my truck and they came in boxes that honest i could never see any damage happening during shipping, they had lip protectors,wood frame etc, but its a bigger/heavier wheel
Old 04-22-2012, 09:10 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BOBS99SS
Yeah bud for sure i would not want a bent drag wheel,and if there still in the boxes send them back, badbird i understand how much detail you have put into your car so i understand totally where your coming from, and as soon as you use polish the others will never match,the last rims i got new were some 24s for my truck and they came in boxes that honest i could never see any damage happening during shipping, they had lip protectors,wood frame etc, but its a bigger/heavier wheel
I wholeheartedly agree ... send the bent wheel back, but these are not packed like you described your 24's were. I am not saying they WERE bent in shipping, but I could certainly see how they could have been. One drop on the shelving in the UPS truck at the right angle and yes, bent!
Old 04-22-2012, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Mine were fine, my fronts just fit like ***... when I ordered I guess they only had 1 back spacing, I understand there are a few choices now?
Old 04-23-2012, 07:57 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BLWN1
Mine were fine, my fronts just fit like ***... when I ordered I guess they only had 1 back spacing, I understand there are a few choices now?
Not that I have found ... Weld only lists one bs for the '93-'02 fbody-5 on 4.75" and that's a 1.5" in a medium pad height with a 26x4.5-15 recommended tire size. Is that what you have?

Do your fronts look like this?