Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BBK 80MM Throttlebody, Stock MAF, SLP Lid, need compatible hose

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 04:33 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default BBK 80MM Throttlebody, Stock MAF, SLP Lid, need compatible hose

Ok, I've been trying to find a somewhat flexible hose that will fit in the 3-4 inches of space i have to play with, that reduces from (i believe) a 4 inch to a 3.5 inch... and i just can't find anything. I've found pictures of other people's engine bay with the exact same setup and I just can't find the hose in the pictures. Can anyone direct me to one? The one I see most often is a black ridged accordion looking hose, any help?

Example:

not an identical engine bay but that hose should work.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:23 PM
On The Tree

That is a pic of my engine bay. That is simply the stock hose on it. The 80mm BBK TB is 80mm on the inside, but the oustide diameter is the same as the stock TB. Just has a bigger butterfly in the TB. The aftermarket smooth bellows shoudl work as well. Cheapest route is just finding someone who wants to get rid of there stock hose.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:13 PM
Launching!

Ahh, ok. Is this the smooth bellows you're talking about?
http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...25d459053b148a

It looks like it might be a little too long to fit in the space. I have a rubber hump reducer hose that was cut to fit by the original owner in right now looks something like this:

It's garbage, and the hump is pushing the MAF forward too much, causing the intake lid to pop off almost everytime the hood is opened. Not a good situation in there.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:25 PM
On The Tree

Yeah. That was the smooth bellows I was talking about. The stock bellows/coupler is a much cheaper option that will work just as well and is much cheaper. Heck, you probably find some guys who will give you one.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:02 PM
Launching!

Ok, I don't think the smooth bellows will fit in the space I have, here's a few pictures of what I'm dealing with:

You can see where the hood is rubbing the lid because it's not seated properly. also note how bunched up the entire assembly is and how much pressure is on the hose attached to the throttlebody.

Here you can see that the hose is slipping off the TB due to the angle... very bad...

Ok, comparing this to other pictures of people's setups with SLP lids, it looks like their MAF's are WAY closer to the back of their lid than mine is. Some even look like the front of the MAF casing is inside the lid... mine doesn't fit inside it.

I don't know what's right and what's wrong here, please enlighten me.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If that is the stock mass air flow sensor try putting the maf in the slp lid. It's difficult to put in but a lil bit of wd-40 helped slide in. That will create more room for you bellow.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I took a better look at your pics and it is in the lid. Good luck lol.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:41 PM
On The Tree

A stock acordian on will probably fit once it had been squished down. Probably can find one for less than 10$.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just an idea, but try cutting 1/2" off of the SLP lid. It would help regain the space you lost with the nitrous plate.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by firemech21
Just an idea, but try cutting 1/2" off of the SLP lid. It would help regain the space you lost with the nitrous plate.
Ya know, I was thinking that same thing, and it's by far the cheapest choice.

and... nitrous plate...? what's that? Sorry, This whole setup was done by the original owner. Only thing I've changed was the lid (used to be that black lid with the red LS1 lettering)
Old 04-11-2012, 09:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TallgeeseIV
Ya know, I was thinking that same thing, and it's by far the cheapest choice.

and... nitrous plate...? what's that? Sorry, This whole setup was done by the original owner. Only thing I've changed was the lid (used to be that black lid with the red LS1 lettering)
In the first pic you posted, there is a black plate behind the TB. Is it a nitrous plate, TB adapter, or TB spacer? Either way it has moved the TB forward of its normal location, which in turn is causing your bellows issue.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by firemech21
In the first pic you posted, there is a black plate behind the TB. Is it a nitrous plate, TB adapter, or TB spacer? Either way it has moved the TB forward of its normal location, which in turn is causing your bellows issue.
That is a throttle body spacer that comes with the BBK TB's. They are meant to be used on intakes that have less than an 80mm opening. Without it the throttle body tends to whistle because of air turbulence. I didn't use the space on my TB because it has a matched 85mm opening. Wouldn't hurt to try an remove that spacer and try and adjust the throttle cable. No offense, but the more I look at the pics the more rigged up it looks. Here is my suggestion. Try these in this order.

1) Try removing the spacer. As long as the throttle cable doesn't get too much slack and can still reach full throttle when the pedal is pressed you should be good to go. Note: You may have to go buy some shorter screws.
Also Note: That throttle body should have come with two cams. One for use with the spacer and a larger one for use without it.
2) Try finding a stock accordion bellow and see how it fits.

PS. Don't cut the lid or there will not be enough room for the MAF sensor to slide all the way in without hitting the radiator shroud.

Quick Reply: BBK 80MM Throttlebody, Stock MAF, SLP Lid, need compatible hose