View Full Version : can I run bias tires tubless?

flintwrench69
04-27-2012, 11:26 AM
I am either gonna get some ET streets or Hoosier QTPs on 15s or the 16 inch wheels I have. I found they make a tubeless bias for 17 inch wheels but is anyone running these tubeless on 15s or 16s? Thanks.

RAMPANT
04-27-2012, 11:52 AM
I tried to run QTPs tubeless and would lose a fair bit of air. I put in tubes and they were perfect, but heavy.

jmm98LS1
04-27-2012, 12:49 PM
I've never run tubes. Too much rotating weight, and to be safe you really should screw the rims with tubes. My 28x12.50x15 et streets don't leak more than a pound a month when sitting, and I didn't even soap the insides.

RAMPANT
04-27-2012, 01:25 PM
I've never run tubes. Too much rotating weight, and to be safe you really should screw the rims with tubes. My 28x12.50x15 et streets don't leak more than a pound a month when sitting, and I didn't even soap the insides.

Agreed on the screwing to the bead. I did.

flintwrench69
04-27-2012, 03:58 PM

Thanks for the info.

BrianSF-GA
04-27-2012, 04:23 PM
Here is a trick ... coat the inside of the tire with dish detergent ... use a paint brush and don't miss a spot 24+ hours before mounting. When they are mounted, have the mounter use the same dish detergent to mount them instead of their "lube".

My QTP's have not lost a pound since they were mounted the first of March. I am currently running them without screws, but have only made eleven runs with no rotation on the rim. They are marked and I am watching them closely.

Whatever you do, do NOT run tubes without screwing the rims .... if the tire and tube rotate around the rim it could shear off your valve stem ... BIG problem at 120+ MPH ... !

Camaro396
04-28-2012, 01:16 AM
No tubes here in my ET Streets, or Hoosier QTP's.

BSAWS6
05-16-2012, 04:17 PM
Any other advice for not using the screws. Somebody on another thread stated use permatex high tack sealer. Anyone else tried this. Without tubes that is

gator's 99TA
05-17-2012, 09:30 PM
9 second car here. Never screwed rims, never used tubes and never used any sealers. I always saw it as a complication. Heavy car too. They lose air, but so what. Its not like I daily drive on slicks.

28x10.5

senicalj4579
05-17-2012, 09:32 PM
I ran the et street one a few times tubeless. They were a little squirly though. I like drs.

Grn4fbody
05-18-2012, 10:13 AM
My ET Street's didn't have tube, it would lose air fast though

*Edit* like 5LBS a night

1badSS
05-18-2012, 10:42 AM
Here is a trick ... coat the inside of the tire with dish detergent ... use a paint brush and don't miss a spot 24+ hours before mounting. When they are mounted, have the mounter use the same dish detergent to mount them instead of their "lube".

My QTP's have not lost a pound since they were mounted the first of March. I am currently running them without screws, but have only made eleven runs with no rotation on the rim. They are marked and I am watching them closely.

Whatever you do, do NOT run tubes without screwing the rims .... if the tire and tube rotate around the rim it could shear off your valve stem ... BIG problem at 120+ MPH ... !

I soaped my E/T streets on the inside as well it work great.

BrianSF-GA
05-18-2012, 11:26 AM
I soaped my E/T streets on the inside as well it work great.

I doubted this at first, but now a I am a believer ... it's now May, still no loss. Currently down to 15# and have about 17 passes on them and they have sat in the garage when not at the track.

BrianSF-GA
05-18-2012, 11:41 AM

As an update, my QTP's rotated 1/2" after six 1/4-mile passes at my last trip to the track.

Soooo ... after eleven 1/8-mile passes trapping 103 mph and 1.7x 60's without a line lock or 2-Step, there was no rotation on the rim at all compared to a 1/2" of rotation after six 1/4-mile passes trapping 122 mph and 1.6x 60's with a line lock and a 2-Step launching at 4,000 rpm.

The difference in rotation could be the trap speed (103 vs. 122), the better launch from an improved burnout, higher rpm and rear DA's (hence a .10 second quicker 60's) or a drop in tire pressure from 18# to 15# .... I am thinking all of these factors. As I bring down my 60's, the rotation may increase forcing me to screw the rims.

blackls1ta00
05-18-2012, 08:08 PM
screw it you will feel much better!!