View Full Version : solid motor mounts

Pseudonym
05-02-2012, 09:34 AM
Edit:
I am going to replace my poly motor mounts with solid motor mounts. I am looking at UMI and motovative. Has anyone had a problem with stress cracks or any other failure of the motovative mounts? If so, how much power were you making? If anyone has switched from motovative to UMI, was there a noticeable difference?

Update: Put in the UMIs and couldnt be happier with them.

sjsingle1
05-02-2012, 11:17 AM
i would like to know too.......since this has never been asked ........j/k

Starkey
05-02-2012, 11:30 AM
I used the UNI solid mounts on an old El Camino I had for a little while. 350 solid roller engine. The mounts stayed well, didn't crack, and fitment wasn't a real issue, but the whole car shook (to be expected with solid mounts). I did have issues with the fenders getting a bit out of whack, probably because of the vibrations.

I haven't used solid mounts since, poly mounts seem to work well for medium builds.

Pseudonym
05-02-2012, 12:57 PM
i would like to know too.......since this has never been asked ........j/k

Yeah, I know this question has been asked before. I will edit the original post to clarify.

I used the UNI solid mounts on an old El Camino I had for a little while. 350 solid roller engine. The mounts stayed well, didn't crack, and fitment wasn't a real issue, but the whole car shook (to be expected with solid mounts). I did have issues with the fenders getting a bit out of whack, probably because of the vibrations.

I haven't used solid mounts since, poly mounts seem to work well for medium builds.

I am expecting it to shake a bit, Im not concerned with that. I have polys now and I have had a strange issue with them. They melted, like this but worse.http://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/1270694-melted-motor-mount.html

Starkey
05-02-2012, 01:59 PM
Yeah, I know this question has been asked before. I will edit the original post to clarify.

I am expecting it to shake a bit, Im not concerned with that. I have polys now and I have had a strange issue with them. They melted, like this but worse.http://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/1270694-melted-motor-mount.html

Interesting post on the melted poly mounts... I've never had a problem with them, even running headers.

T3X_SS
05-02-2012, 02:27 PM
Never heard of melting motor mounts....., curious to see if anyone else has had a problem

sjsingle1
05-02-2012, 02:57 PM
running poly here for over 2 yrs with TSP LTs......no melt

Pseudonym
05-03-2012, 07:09 AM
Never heard of melting motor mounts....., curious to see if anyone else has had a problem

It was probably just me and the other guy from the thread I posted.

Anyone know of a failure of motovative mounts? Should I just spend a little extra and get the UMI mounts?

sreve
05-03-2012, 08:27 AM
i do prefer the polys. I had Moroso solids on a 396 4sp. Chevelle the left mount thru bolt
hole would wallow out and make noise changed out the left side more than once.

UMI Performance
05-03-2012, 09:36 AM
The solid mounts are going to work the same and there won't be any performance difference between the two. The main difference is weight, our mounts will weigh less and the solid aluminum constructions is the reason for the increased price.

I hope that helps,
Ryan

babbage1109
05-03-2012, 09:39 AM
Midwest chassis has solid motor mounts also. Look into those

BennyB
05-03-2012, 09:50 AM
I run umi solids. I hated the install (motor in car), but loved the results from them. Going from stock to solids I hardly even noticed them. I know you don't care about vibes I just don't get people that say they had so many vibes after solids so went to polys. I honestly think them peoPle have no experience running solid mounts. Just my 2 cents

thegroup
05-03-2012, 05:55 PM
Be sure to run a poly trans mount then or stock rubber. I've heard horror stories about solid motor and solid trans

93camaro_zzz
05-03-2012, 06:22 PM
Not to diss UMI, cause I think they are a great company, but I thought I remember some fitment issues with their solid mounts. Try doing a search on that.

Pseudonym
05-04-2012, 09:20 AM
The solid mounts are going to work the same and there won't be any performance difference between the two. The main difference is weight, our mounts will weigh less and the solid aluminum constructions is the reason for the increased price.

I hope that helps,
Ryan

Thank you for the information. The price difference is not that drastic considering the difference in shipping costs.

Midwest chassis has solid motor mounts also. Look into those

I saw those after I posted this. Thank you.

I run umi solids. I hated the install (motor in car), but loved the results from them. Going from stock to solids I hardly even noticed them. I know you don't care about vibes I just don't get people that say they had so many vibes after solids so went to polys. I honestly think them peoPle have no experience running solid mounts. Just my 2 cents

I havent run solids yet, but it seems like people who had them in older cars have more problems with them. My dad had a set, similar in style to the motovative mounts, in his 68 camaro that cracked. Thats the reason I was asking about any known failures with them. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Be sure to run a poly trans mount then or stock rubber. I've heard horror stories about solid motor and solid trans

Already have the poly trans mount installed. Thank you.

Not to diss UMI, cause I think they are a great company, but I thought I remember some fitment issues with their solid mounts. Try doing a search on that.

I didnt see anything like that when I searched, but I will look again. Thanks.

babbage1109
05-04-2012, 10:16 AM
I have the motivative mounts and have no movement or any cracking. I've had them in for almost a year now

deerslayinrednek
05-04-2012, 12:06 PM
I've had the Spohn Solids in for a month or so and love them. Plus they look better and are 9lb lighter

babbage1109
05-04-2012, 12:38 PM
I've had the Spohn Solids in for a month or so and love them. Plus the look better and are 9lb lighter

Dont they also raise the engine height by an inch? Unless they've change their design

Pseudonym
05-04-2012, 03:31 PM
I am ordering the UMI mounts this weekend. Thanks everyone.

4U2NV-SS
05-04-2012, 03:53 PM
Keep us posted on how they worked out for you!

98camaroLS1M6
05-06-2012, 08:40 AM
I also heard installing the UMI solids is very difficult, the holes don't line up like the stock mounts do...

deerslayinrednek
05-06-2012, 11:24 AM
Dont they also raise the engine height by an inch? Unless they've change their design

I emailed them the same thing and they basically said the only way it will raise it up is if you have old saggy rubber mounts.......I took a chance and put them on worried about exhaust banging on my floor. Turns out they are perfect and I love them

Also as far as lining them up to install them, I just did 1 side at a time and they gave me no trouble at all.......It did kinda suck with the headers on the car but every motor mount will

UMI Performance
05-06-2012, 01:26 PM
I also heard installing the UMI solids is very difficult, the holes don't line up like the stock mounts do...

Installing any solid mount will be more difficult because there is no give or movement like rubber or polyurethane allows.

As for holes, our mounts are machined to the exact dimensions as the factory mounts, the hole pattern is the same and the height is also the same. The issue we did have is we engraved the word "UP" on the wrong side of a batch of mounts. This caused the customer to attempt to install them upside down. We quickly corrected this.

I hope that helps,
Ryan

butler
05-06-2012, 02:46 PM
I have solids on mine. No issues. DO NOT tighten one bolt till all are started.

Suzaku
05-06-2012, 03:21 PM
As for holes, our mounts are machined to the exact dimensions as the factory mounts, the hole pattern is the same and the height is also the same. The issue we did have is we engraved the word "UP" on the wrong side of a batch of mounts. This caused the customer to attempt to install them upside down. We quickly corrected this.

I have some umi solids going in today, is there a chance I might have gotten mounts from this batch?

My6speedZ
05-06-2012, 06:59 PM

They raise it up some yes. I had to do a bit of trimming under my cowl (just a bit) to get my factory style FAST fuel rail back in there.

I have solids on mine. No issues. DO NOT tighten one bolt till all are started.

^^this

ls1sickandtwisted
05-06-2012, 08:33 PM
I had solid mounts however it did increase my vibration I did like it I went back to poly utherane there was no difference in perfomance just vibration did went up the only benefit I see is that the solif will have a longer life kinda switchin one time and that's it but poly will last u a long long time lol

LPE 403
05-06-2012, 09:47 PM
Why go solid if you can tie the engine down ;)

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w291/lpe403/Car%20Build/68fdb7fc.jpg

98camaroLS1M6
05-06-2012, 11:37 PM
Anyone have any tips on how to install the umi solids?

My6speedZ
05-07-2012, 10:10 PM
Some people take the whole stands out so they can run the long bolt out, outside of the car. If you leave it in the car you have to take off some of the accessories.

I sold my old stands to a guy on here who swapped his in out side of the car on my old ones so he could just take the old ones out and put the new ones right in.

I did my solids with the engine in and the accessories off because they were already off at the time.

Pseudonym
05-13-2012, 02:05 PM
I got the UMI mounts 2 days ago and they are going in without an issue. I have the engine in the car, headers off, accessories on. Im doing it on ramps in my driveway with help from my dad. UMI makes an excellent piece.

azzkker
05-18-2012, 03:28 PM
What is the power limitations of the poly mounts to warrant switching to a solid mount?

Suzaku
05-21-2012, 05:31 AM
I have some umi solids going in today, is there a chance I might have gotten mounts from this batch?

Since UMI failed to answer this question, I will answer it myself.

The mounts I received were indeed part of the defective batch, the top of the mount should be the the side that is further away from hole where the motor mount bolt slides in. Double check this and don't install the first time with loctite without double checking to make sure it is the right direction.