Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing converter in 98 T/A

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 07:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Installing converter in 98 T/A

Some of these bolts are a real motherf^&*er!

The top three bellhousing bolts sucked-40+ inches of extensions and a couple of swivels used.

Dipstick bolt-sucked-Wrench only, 2flats at a time.Why a 15mm bolt here?! Did it need to be over an inch long? A 10mm 1/2 long bolt would have been more than sufficient.

Starter bolt-I can see why the later years switched to 13mm.You can't get a socket on the 15mm without cutting the inspection cover.Lame....

Torque Converter-8mm Socket head capscrews must have had red loctite on them from the factory.They were HARD to break loose. I removed alot of skin from my hand breaking these loose.Thankfully I had someone around to hold a 1/2 drive,3in extension, w/24mm socket on the crank bolt to stop the engine from rotating.

Locating dowels were obviously put in as some kind of cruel joke. These were probably corrosion welded after the first rain the car saw.

I finally have everything out but I can't get the trans separated from the engine.

I sprayed some penetrant on the locating dowels and I am hoping letting them soak overnight will help.

What did you guys have to do to get the trans off the motor?
Old 03-28-2004, 08:51 PM
On The Tree

lol sounds like this write up happened about ten min after stoping for the day. Hope you have been luck.
Old 03-28-2004, 09:20 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

roy at cartek used a long skinny pry bar from a few different points to just pry it off the motor...of course he had a lift so it wasnt too bad but still took id say close to 10 minutes to get them apart...oh and i know on 98's one of hte 3 flywheel bolt holes needs to be drilled or grinded out a little bigger so check that out with one of your new bolts to see which one/ones it doesnt fit in...much easier to do it with the tranny not attached to the motor I was so happy i didnt do this install myself. Im doing heads/cam next weekend but would pay money for someone else to do a TC almost every time.

lata
Bill
Old 03-28-2004, 10:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mine was a bitch to get off the engine too. If you have the plastic covers off the sides, you can pry it with a big screwdriver...just be careful. It took me about a half hour to 45 minutes to get my trans off the dowels.

I'll tell you what though...when you get the converter in and you drive it for the first time...you'll see that it was all worth it. Trust me!
Old 03-29-2004, 01:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I had almost all the same problems you did.
The driver side let go easy, but the passenger side would'nt budge.
I used a prybar, raising and lowering the tranny and an hours worth of patience.
Old 03-31-2004, 07:15 PM
Staging Lane

Wear those scars one your knuckles with pride man. I did it last weekend replacing my stock flex plate with a TCI one. I think my blood helped lubricate those dowel pins.
Old 03-31-2004, 07:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

No need to undo the dip stick tube bolt. Leave the tube attached to the head and drop the tranny. Just reinsert the tube in the tranny as you raise the tranny back up. I've pulled so many trannys I've lost count and I always leave the tube attached to the head.
Old 03-31-2004, 09:00 PM
11 Second Club

You have to shake the $hit out of the tranny and pry from a couple different spots the first time it's apart. Mine comes apart much easier now I've had it apart so many times. I also went out and bought a 36" extention that works very well for the top bellhousing bolts.
Old 04-01-2004, 05:37 PM
TECH Addict

Wow,this TC swap is a little more involved than I had expected.

I haven't had more than a few minutes to work on the car since last sunday. I have went out there everyday and sprayed some penetrant on the pins. I also check to see if the trans has decided it woud like to come off
(I was kicking and shaking it violently yesterday). It hasn't.

I broke out the 4ft prybar to see if I could persuade it to get the hell off my engine block but it's a no go with the amount of time I have available.

The only good place I have found to pry is where the inspection cover/starter goes. Where else should it be pried from?

Just to _triple_ check. There are 8 bolts holding the trans to the engine right? I have taken out 8 of them. But it will hardly even budge when I try to get it off.It seems like I missed a fastener but I can't see anymore.

Last edited by lerajie; 04-01-2004 at 05:45 PM.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:45 PM
12 Second Club

Yep 8 bolts. I thought there were 9 and spent 2 hours looking for the lost one....checked the bellhousing about 10 times just to make sure (because mine was a PITA to get off too)...but yes...I removed/replaced 8.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:00 PM
TECH Addict

I think i'll be paying someone to do my TC swap. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 04-02-2004, 03:31 PM
Launching!

Default Damn thing is stuck!

Changed my t/c. Really a piece of cake, except getting off those damn
dowel pins. Used a pry bar in the small groove at the bottom of the bellhousing to get it started and then was able to pry on both sides
and POP she was apart.
Old 04-02-2004, 07:12 PM
TECH Addict

OK!

I got it off. I really had to step up on the force I was using to get it off. First I hit the pins with an air hammer.I was hesitant to pry real hard on the bellhousing because everything is made of AL. Did it anyway and it started to come off.

Now it's out and the converter is on the bench. Flexplate has been drilled. Checked fitment. Cleaned things up. Going to install trans temp gauge tomorrow and then get things buttoned up.

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 04-02-2004, 09:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

For the top 3 bolts on the bellhousing (which are a PITA), I took a piece of 36" bolt stock and welded it to an extension. Then I welded a nut on the end to have something to turn. Now the top ones are a piece of cake! Plus, I can honestly say that I have the longest extension on my block!