Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Piston Order on LQ4 Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 08:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Piston Order on LQ4 Rebuild

I recently had the seal on the pickup tube fail and turned the #1 crank bearing. I own a shop and someone inadvertently moved the pistons and they got out of order.

The cracked rods do not have any piston numbers on them. Are there any other distinguishing marks to show where the pistons go on the rotating assembly.

Check out this video and see if can see the S, S1, 1S, and an S with two lines underneath, and an S with 1 line underneath.

This is my first LS type motor to rebuild and have already learned a valuable lesson on the cap numbering and direction. (1-2-3-4 face rear, 5 facing forward and the number 5 mark is on the opposite side as 1-2-3-4)

http://youtu.be/wFkRg0aFKJM

Jeff
Artisanautomotive@gmail.com
Old 05-10-2012, 09:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Unless you marked them on disassembly id say no
Old 05-10-2012, 10:42 AM
9 Second Club

Don't think there are any markings to tell the difference if there is any. I think it would be fine to throw it together (could be wrong lol). I would just check side clearance on the rods after assembly.

Also, if you're putting ARP rod bolts in, check them with a dial bore gauge after. My rods went out of round when I used ARP's in mine, I had to have the rods re sized.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:13 AM

sn2,
What about the ARP bolts cause the rod to get out of round? I will just get the GM part number bolts or put the old ones back in to avoid the hassle.

I just wanted some extra security against losing a rod cap and messing up a good engine. But I don't want to have them resized then have to by more bearings.

What makes the ARP bolts, if properly torqued, egg the rod?

Jeff
Old 05-11-2012, 09:32 AM
TECH Addict

The ARP bolts have more clampping force....if you don't want to resize the rods pickup a set of Katech bolts
Old 05-11-2012, 10:15 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Originally Posted by Artisanauto
sn2,
What about the ARP bolts cause the rod to get out of round? I will just get the GM part number bolts or put the old ones back in to avoid the hassle.

I just wanted some extra security against losing a rod cap and messing up a good engine. But I don't want to have them resized then have to by more bearings.

What makes the ARP bolts, if properly torqued, egg the rod?

Jeff
Jeff, your doing stuff that 95% of the people posting here will not; call ARP direct or one of the LS motor builders that sponsor here

listen to people that do it for a living(although sometimes they will post here)
Old 05-11-2012, 10:59 AM
TECH Addict

I didnt want to have to ever open mine up again for a LONG time, so I had everything checked, bored and refit when I put mine together the last time.....all ARP bolts here.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:23 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

looks like everyone is missing the ??, what order and do the marks identify cyl. location for each piston
Old 05-12-2012, 02:17 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

They don't...best way is to install the rings off each piston in each hole and check the end gap, and measure the piston and then measure the bore And see where they fit best according to specs.

Otherwise, bore it and install oversized pistons.

Quick Reply: Piston Order on LQ4 Rebuild