Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Totally Bummed!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 08:09 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Totally Bummed!!

I’m totally bummed. I had Hooker Headers put in about three weeks ago. I did a dyno on Saturday and gained less than 1 horsepower and less than one pound of torque from what I had about two years ago!! I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw the numbers. It was almost identical. When they did the headers, they also did new MSD wires and NGK plugs. The fuel was rich. It showed about 11, I would prefer about 12.8 or 12.9. I probably should change the air filter. But c’mon what is that going to get me? Any thoughts or ideas? No need to update my sig, except for the headers but look there to see what I have.
Old 03-29-2004, 08:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Get it tuned, your numbers will increase. Also did you dyno at the same shop ?
Old 03-29-2004, 08:25 AM
Teching In

No, I did not dyno at the same shop. But both claim to be "right on the mark" with accuracy." I didn't really want to tune with just the headers, but do you think leaning it out would really be worth that much to the numbers?
Old 03-29-2004, 08:37 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

11 a/f is way rich, tune it at least with a MAFT and dial in the a/f ration. also take it to the track and see what she does. dont get caught up in the dyno, also what was the under he curve gain? post up the graph.
Old 03-29-2004, 11:04 AM
z98
TECH Fanatic

No, I did not dyno at the same shop. But both claim to be "right on the mark" with accuracy."
Old 03-29-2004, 12:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was flipping channels and saw they had a car on a dyno on one of the tuner shows on speed - sports car revolution or some such. Anyway, they had done an exhaust and lost hp. They put the stock exhaust on and lost a bunch of hp. When they got down to it, they had done bigger rotors and brakes at the same time and were saying the bigger rotors were robbing HP on the dyno. Sounded kinda wacky - but they are supposedly experts...
Now, to your situation - don't believe they are 'right on' w/ dyno's. Get the car tuned and I bet you'll be happy w/ it.
Dan
Old 03-29-2004, 01:14 PM
Teching In

Thanks, guys. I don't have the graphs in electronic format. Perhaps I can get them scanned in but I am at work now and do not have the printouts with me. I know what your saying about the accuracy and all, but who is going to accept 316 hp on an LS1 with headers?
How can I lean her out with this MAFT? What tools would I need?
Old 03-29-2004, 01:15 PM
Rok
TECH Apprentice

what dyno's was this on, Mustang or dynojet? Could be the difference right there dynojet's usually have higher #'s. so if the first dyno was on a dynojet and the second on a Mustang, that could explain the hp&tq #'s
Old 03-29-2004, 01:38 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by B00SS
I’m totally bummed. I had Hooker Headers put in about three weeks ago. I did a dyno on Saturday and gained less than 1 horsepower and less than one pound of torque from what I had about two years ago!! I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw the numbers. It was almost identical. When they did the headers, they also did new MSD wires and NGK plugs. The fuel was rich. It showed about 11, I would prefer about 12.8 or 12.9. I probably should change the air filter. But c’mon what is that going to get me? Any thoughts or ideas? No need to update my sig, except for the headers but look there to see what I have.
What two places did you have your car dynoed at?
Old 03-29-2004, 01:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

When was the last time you changed your air filter? I would put in a new filter (if yours is really dirty) and get the car tuned with LS1 edit
Old 03-29-2004, 02:16 PM
z98
TECH Fanatic

And post the graphs! If we overlay them it should provide some answers as to what's going on...