Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Injector Comparison - BOSCH - FIC version - ID version

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 12:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Injector Comparison - BOSCH - FIC version - ID version

**NOTE : IDs are DIFFERENT part numbers, BUT yes generally speaking they are nearly the SAME BOSCH injector
*The cores are different, but BOTH are made from the same part number

On the 1000cc FIC uses the SAME part number.
On the 725 FIC uses a different pn. On the 850 same part and 2000 same part I cannot tell what Bosch PN the IDs are but these flow slightly different than each other

A LONG time ago when I was first going into forced induction, I wanted injectors that would give me some breathing room as at the time I was not very knowledgeable about all of my fueling needs and wanted to ensure I had enough. I ended up going through what it seems like everyone came across at that time and I selected 60# injectors to run with my base STS kit and my stock LS1. I had no injector data besides calculating my IFR values.

So I got the car all put together and the 60# injectors in and I flashed the car with the correct IFR and tune that I had put together getting ready for all of this. I cranked the car up and in Open Loop it ran rich for a little like normal and then heated up to closed loop and I noticed it was still rich. During idle, all I could run was rich 11.5:1; however during driving conditions, all was fine. I spent countless hours messing with it, trying to find a solution to no avail. I had no idea at the time, and even had help from people on ls1tech, still no solution. I was simply told to buy other injectors, or swap to smaller injectors.

So I read around and sold my 60# injectors and did some research and ran into Injector Dynamics and all of the write ups. Thinking these would solve all of my problems as all tuning data was provided, but heavily disliking the price compared to all other injectors of the same size. Wanting a fix I purchased them and all was fine, all problems were gone.
Pictures of ID Injectors:
Name:  DSC01795.jpg
Views: 3921
Size:  186.0 KB

Some things I noticed with them upon looking at the injector is that you can tell the part numbers have been taken off with a dremel.
Name:  DSC01799.jpg
Views: 5106
Size:  70.9 KB

I had the opportunity to own and use the ID725 injectors for quite some time now, and for some notes when I installed them, I had two O-rings that I had to replace as they didn't fit snug enough and leaked fuel, that getting fixed all was ok.

Now knowing what I know, I would have never bought those injectors, and I would have purchased the ones I have now, FIC725s. These are 69.56# injectors @ 43.5psi and I have all the data to properly tune them as well, they would have saved me some $$. FIC also included the clips to hold the top adapter piece to the injector.

I got the FIC725s and upon installation all of the O-rings were a nice snug fit, even had to put some elbow grease into a few of them to get them in. Absolutely no issues with them, they behaved equivalent to the ID injectors. The ID injectors were actually slightly smaller than the FIC injectors. ID flowed 725, FIC flowed closer to 732.
Pictures of FIC725s:
Name:  P1040427.jpg
Views: 3294
Size:  233.8 KB

Name:  P1040426.jpg
Views: 3410
Size:  109.2 KB

Name:  P1040425.jpg
Views: 3471
Size:  151.7 KB

Name:  P1040424.jpg
Views: 3263
Size:  256.4 KB

BOTH COMPARED:
Name:  tips_001.jpg
Views: 3217
Size:  102.8 KB

Name:  tips_002.jpg
Views: 3208
Size:  214.9 KB

Name:  DSC01803.jpg
Views: 3240
Size:  293.8 KB

Name:  DSC01801.jpg
Views: 3213
Size:  227.1 KB

Name:  DSC01800.jpg
Views: 3250
Size:  115.3 KB

ALSO,
the tuning data is slightly different for these as seen below, but the values WITHIN operating range of a typical vehicle are damn near identical.

ID OFFSET TABLE
Name:  IDDATA_close.png
Views: 3797
Size:  26.0 KB

FIC OFFSET TABLE
Name:  FICDATA_close.png
Views: 3525
Size:  26.2 KB

Last edited by ZL1Killa; 06-27-2012 at 01:26 AM.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:48 PM
Staging Lane

Great post! I have the fuel injector connection 1000's a friend has id 1000, for ***** and giggles we swapped because he said his were better cause they cost twice as much, last laugh on him.. We didn't touch the tune, car ran identical, not one bit of noticeable difference. So yeah, it's a no brainier. These are only injectors and Rolex is not making them Bosch is! Both are good so I rather save and pay for my fuel pump and a few tanks of race fuel.
Old 05-20-2012, 03:21 PM
Coal Mining Director

"I got the FIC725s and upon installation all of the O-rings were a nice snug fit, even had to put some elbow grease into a few of them to get them in."

If you run a turbo system with some power (ie: HEAT) that is a mistake. They will almost weld themselves into the manifold over time. Been there, done that. It was very hard to remove the injectors after a season of racing without physically damaging the injector. An OEM sized injector o-ring doesn not need elbow grease to get into the manifold. Slight push should pop them in. I have used both types of o-rings....both coated with silicone.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by onfire
"I got the FIC725s and upon installation all of the O-rings were a nice snug fit, even had to put some elbow grease into a few of them to get them in."

If you run a turbo system with some power (ie: HEAT) that is a mistake. They will almost weld themselves into the manifold over time. Been there, done that. It was very hard to remove the injectors after a season of racing without physically damaging the injector. An OEM sized injector o-ring doesn not need elbow grease to get into the manifold. Slight push should pop them in. I have used both types of o-rings....both coated with silicone.
maybe my mistake was not coating them with silicone prior to installation, i will re-install with silicone as i have to get my oil pressure sending unit replaced...so I have to pull the intake....

Last edited by ZL1Killa; 05-20-2012 at 07:07 PM.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:51 PM
Coal Mining Director

Originally Posted by ZL1Killa
maybe my mistake was not coating them with silicone prior to installation, i will re-install with silicone as i have to get my oil pressure sending unit replaced...so I have to pull the intake....
Yep, use silicone and they should snap right in...if they do, you are golden. If you have to fight them in, I would get an oem set from GM. Some aftermarket companies are using off the shelf O-rings that are slightly bigger than OEM stock....and they are a bitch after a few heat cycles.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:55 PM
TECH Resident

i have re-edited the offset tables to better see them, specifically the numbers, and I have highlighted in red the typical operating range during operation.

ID OFFSET TABLE
Name:  IDDATA_close.png
Views: 3068
Size:  26.0 KB

FIC OFFSET TABLE
Name:  FICDATA_close.png
Views: 3015
Size:  26.2 KB

almost forgot, FIC testing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2fEPLh3ick

waiting on video from ID showing bench testing to show up.

Last edited by ZL1Killa; 06-23-2012 at 10:59 AM.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:02 AM
TECH Resident

found an ID injector break in apparatus as it is called:

Name:  13fa37aa.jpg
Views: 3045
Size:  63.2 KB

Name:  d2ca8637.jpg
Views: 3041
Size:  75.3 KB

Old 06-26-2012, 09:27 PM
TECH Resident

some interesting reading, very similar to what others agree on with regards to injector data. Information from Bosch
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Injector_Offset_by_bosch.pdf (22.3 KB, 532 views)
Old 06-26-2012, 10:22 PM
Staging Lane

some interesting reading, very similar to what others agree on with regards to injector data. Information from Bosch
So what does this mean? In laymans terms
Old 06-26-2012, 10:40 PM
TECH Resident

its square stock, rails, connectors, wheels, ball valves, pump, heatshrink, wiring & control electronics.... I think it looks great to be honest. nice and clean

Last edited by ZL1Killa; 06-28-2012 at 01:02 AM.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:45 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by onfire
Yep, use silicone and they should snap right in...if they do, you are golden. If you have to fight them in, I would get an oem set from GM. Some aftermarket companies are using off the shelf O-rings that are slightly bigger than OEM stock....and they are a bitch after a few heat cycles.
also figured I would update on this, I lubed the O-rings with silicon and the slid right in. Should have known to do this at the beginning ...as they are O-rings...
Old 06-27-2012, 01:45 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 98transbum
So what does this mean? In laymans terms
basically that a set of injectors for a car need to closely match (tolerance) each other during low pulse width periods and high pulse width periods, so that at idle, part throttle, and wide open throttle each injector is providing a known amount of fuel and there is not a large variance.

there however still is a floor, the lowest pulse width that the injector will operate and maintain a controlled amount of injected fuel, you do not want to go at or below this.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:46 PM
TECH Resident

At this point I don't care to continue the match, I got in the middle of a long, old dispute between two vendors (maybe more) and I honestly don't know who did what where and when with regards to developing an apparatus to decode injector performance and characteristics and then presented data, I really don't care about the history part, as I can't defend either side.

The point is now we are here and its 2012, electronics and computers are more advanced and people are smarter, we learn and adapt. OEMs that develop injectors are starting to provide data, aftermarket people are providing data, so I don't know exactly how to prove that vendor A and vendor B can provide injector data nor if it is a copy or interpolation of other data from other injectors (besides trying to do an interpolation myself).

If people can learn and there exists several machines that can develop all the data for tuning injectors...eventually there are going to be more and more doing so.

I don't see how either side can win, but if both sides as of now have devices that allow them to develop injector data & they can calculate various injector flows for certain circumstances, I don't know what proof it could be but pictures of flow meters and other instrumentation/devices or data compiling without giving too much away would serve better than typing on a keyboard back and forth of a he said she said crap.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:57 AM
Staging Lane

At this point I don't care to continue the match, I got in the middle of a long, old dispute between two vendors (maybe more) and I honestly don't know who did what where and when with regards to developing an apparatus to decode injector performance and characteristics and then presented data, I really don't care about the history part, as I can't defend either side.

The point is now we are here and its 2012, electronics and computers are more advanced and people are smarter, we learn and adapt. OEMs that develop injectors are starting to provide data, aftermarket people are providing data, so I don't know exactly how to prove that vendor A and vendor B can provide injector data nor if it is a copy or interpolation of other data from other injectors (besides trying to do an interpolation myself).

If people can learn and there exists several machines that can develop all the data for tuning injectors...eventually there are going to be more and more doing so.

I don't see how either side can win, but if both sides as of now have devices that allow them to develop injector data & they can calculate various injector flows for certain circumstances, I don't know what proof it could be but pictures of flow meters and other instrumentation/devices or data compiling without giving too much away would serve better than typing on a keyboard back and forth of a he said she said crap.
Thanks for the info here, but are the injectors comparable? Can't one use any data? Whatever works,, i saw the video, that's impressive to me. Why does iD run away from showing off their flow bench? I would like to see that as the injectors are the same to me I have 1000 cc and they work perfect. My tuner used his own method of tuning and it runs great.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:55 AM
Restricted User

ID's reason is the same reason that you can't find the formula to make Coke. There's SAE papers out there explaining HOW to characterize them. However, nobody makes a turn key injector characterization setup. They're all custom made.

There's a notable operating difference. Whether people care in contrast to the price of entry is another story.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:41 PM
TECH Resident

Currently investigating data and other details associated with all of this.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:40 AM
On The Tree

all i can say is i love my FIC 2000cc injectors and my car idles and drives like stock
Old 07-06-2012, 04:53 PM
TECH Resident

food for thought.

especially check out the last 30 seconds...
Old 07-07-2012, 09:58 AM
Staging Lane

food for thought.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7EIHfthUfU

especially check out the last 30 seconds...
Wow that is something! It would be cool if all the injector guys would show their flow benchs. ID says they have the best one. Lol. That Moran thing looks like a mean machine, like his cars and injectors.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:10 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dasorcha21
all i can say is i love my FIC 2000cc injectors and my car idles and drives like stock
It's all in the tune.

Quick Reply: Injector Comparison - BOSCH - FIC version - ID version