Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

are they out there?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 01:31 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default are they out there?

Can I find a 98-02 WS6 with less then 100K for 9250 or less. best I have been able to find that hasnt had a salvage title or major interior/paint issues has 109K.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:58 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by black79transam
Can I find a 98-02 WS6 with less then 100K for 9250 or less. best I have been able to find that hasnt had a salvage title or major interior/paint issues has 109K.
Keep looking, shouldn't be too hard. Mine is a non-WS6, but it only had 66k when I got it, and I got it for 6.5k, clear title and all, and the 6 speed, so that gives a lot of room to pony up for a WS6, instead. Definitely don't settle for a salvage title or stop looking though, they're out there.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:45 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by brendo389
Keep looking, shouldn't be too hard. Mine is a non-WS6, but it only had 66k when I got it, and I got it for 6.5k, clear title and all, and the 6 speed, so that gives a lot of room to pony up for a WS6, instead. Definitely don't settle for a salvage title or stop looking though, they're out there.
I can find plenty of Trans AM's in my price range and have all the options I am looking for, I just cant find any WS6's. There is a nice one I test drove, all stock except for a magnaflow catback, auto, 109K miles and I'm pretty sure I can snag her for 7K and that would leave me with more then enough to do what I want to do to it(lid, LS6 intake) but I'm worried about the miles.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

I counted at least 10 possible candidates (1998-2002 WS6 models) on www.autotrader.com just now. I went right up to $11,000 because these are asking prices. You show up with $9,000 cash or so and the car is most likely yours. No one pays full price unless the car is absolutely mint with ultra low miles. There is negotiating room on every car. You will probably have to travel. These cars aren't necessarily right around the corner. Try ebay too. I didn't even look there. You should have no problem at all finding the WS6 you want in your price range but you must be willing to possibly spend a weekend in the process. Cheap motels, fast food and gas are nothing when looking for an important purchase like a WS6. Good luck!

*** P.S. My last two purchases (the GT and the Aerocoupe) were over 500 miles away from me. My average expense in picking them up was about $350 each. Worth every penny to get the right car. Lots of phone calls, pictures, Carfax etc.. will prevent you from wasting a trip. It can still happen but rarely does if you do your homework in advance. A seller will work with you every step of the way if he is honest and wants a sale.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NC01TA
I counted at least 10 possible candidates (1998-2002 WS6 models) on www.autotrader.com just now. I went right up to $11,000 because these are asking prices. You show up with $9,000 cash or so and the car is most likely yours. No one pays full price unless the car is absolutely mint with ultra low miles. There is negotiating room on every car. You will probably have to travel. These cars aren't necessarily right around the corner. Try ebay too. I didn't even look there. You should have no problem at all finding the WS6 you want in your price range but you must be willing to possibly spend a weekend in the process. Cheap motels, fast food and gas are nothing when looking for an important purchase like a WS6. Good luck!

*** P.S. My last two purchases (the GT and the Aerocoupe) were over 500 miles away from me. My average expense in picking them up was about $350 each. Worth every penny to get the right car. Lots of phone calls, pictures, Carfax etc.. will prevent you from wasting a trip. It can still happen but rarely does if you do your homework in advance. A seller will work with you every step of the way if he is honest and wants a sale.
So far I have emailed about 2 cars on autotrader.com one person I'm sure is a scam they are offering to ship from a previous deal that fell through. Told then i would show up with cash and she told me she is a stewerdess for american airlines and is never home Haha
Old 05-31-2012, 06:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is one close to me with less than 100K, bone stock for $9995. I'm sure it could be talked down to $9250.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:18 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dunno, a friend tried to buy my WS6 and I said I would help them find one instead. Looked at plenty and haven't found anything clean for a reasonable price. Most clean WS6 cars seem to be 12k+.

Even looking at LT1 cars we were very surprised how much clean examples were going for. It seems last year you could get a Firehawk or WS6 LT for about 5-6k (I paid 5 for my convertible). Now 5k gets you junk.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

also try Craigslist if you haven't yet and search under nearby cities, not just your own. Check every day, I do.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Furious1
There is one close to me with less than 100K, bone stock for $9995. I'm sure it could be talked down to $9250.
Have a link at all? Or contact information for the seller? I know were all fans of our cars but there just seem to be a bunch out there that are priced too high. The best one I have seen yet is the one in my town, auto 109K miles and I could get it for 7K. I just think that for 9K I should be able to find a car in similar shape with less then 100k

1965gp I know what you are saying, I know of some others who have scored 30th anny cars in pretty good shape for less then 10K

Marc3.4V6 I do check craigslist every day. I would say I check about 15 different cities and also a few in NC because my Dad lives in raleigh so I could always go for a visit and come home in a WS6

I did find some on auto trader that I called about but they are all at a dealer and for some reason I just don't trust dealers.

Last edited by black79transam; 05-31-2012 at 08:09 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bam.
http://chambana.craigslist.org/cto/2994479004.html
Old 05-31-2012, 09:26 PM
Launching!

Thanks furious
Old 06-01-2012, 12:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

step 1) Get over the WS6 gimmick
step 2) Spend about $4k less on a non WS6 Formula or TA with half the mileage of a ws6 in the same price range
step 3) Buy a ram air hood, exhaust, bolt ons, and wheels with the thousands you saved
step 4) Have a car with better performance than a stock WS6, and looks exactly the same.

Optional step 5). Buy a WS9 badge from emblempros, and when people ask if it's a WS6, say "hell no, it's a WS9" (WS9=RPO code for V8 firebird, so you're not lying and the car actually IS a ws9) This bamboozles people...
Old 06-01-2012, 09:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by black79transam
So far I have emailed about 2 cars on autotrader.com one person I'm sure is a scam they are offering to ship from a previous deal that fell through. Told then i would show up with cash and she told me she is a stewerdess for american airlines and is never home Haha
Call, don't e/mail. E/mails start off the entire process by sounding like a 'tire kicker'. When I sell cars for myself or my car club collector friends I rarely take e/mails seriously unless they are follow-ups to the phone call. That's fine, no problem. It is amazing what you can learn from actually talking to someone. You will immediately weed out many uninterested parties or low-ballers. E/mails can be written by anyone including teens screwing around or scammers or anybody for that matter. I always respond to initial e/mails by telling these people to call at their convenience if seriously interested. Many times I hear nothing which equates to 'tire-kickers' and wasting my time. These phone calls benefit both buyers and sellers. Best of luck in your search! You will find what you want for your price.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:20 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Call, don't e/mail. E/mails start off the entire process by sounding like a 'tire kicker'. When I sell cars for myself or my car club collector friends I rarely take e/mails seriously unless they are follow-ups to the phone call. That's fine, no problem. It is amazing what you can learn from actually talking to someone. You will immediately weed out many uninterested parties or low-ballers. E/mails can be written by anyone including teens screwing around or scammers or anybody for that matter. I always respond to initial e/mails by telling these people to call at their convenience if seriously interested. Many times I hear nothing which equates to 'tire-kickers' and wasting my time. These phone calls benefit both buyers and sellers. Best of luck in your search! You will find what you want for your price.

I agree, I did not see a phone number listed for either of those listings and that is why I e-mailed
Old 06-02-2012, 02:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
step 1) Get over the WS6 gimmick
step 2) Spend about $4k less on a non WS6 Formula or TA with half the mileage of a ws6 in the same price range
step 3) Buy a ram air hood, exhaust, bolt ons, and wheels with the thousands you saved
step 4) Have a car with better performance than a stock WS6, and looks exactly the same.

Optional step 5). Buy a WS9 badge from emblempros, and when people ask if it's a WS6, say "hell no, it's a WS9" (WS9=RPO code for V8 firebird, so you're not lying and the car actually IS a ws9) This bamboozles people...
100% agree with this idea, after all they're extremely close mechanically, and it's pretty easy to make a Trans Am into a WS6, relatively speaking
Old 06-02-2012, 02:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by brendo389
100% agree with this idea, after all they're extremely close mechanically, and it's pretty easy to make a Trans Am into a WS6, relatively speaking
It's just a hood, 17" wheels, a power steering cooler, and a 2mm bigger front sway bar. Not even close to justify the premiums most people ask over a regular TA/Formula.

Chris1313 or fast toys ram air, long tubes, and a nice catback and you'd be worlds ahead of a stock ws6 with a standard ta
Old 06-03-2012, 01:52 PM
Teching In

Just take your time, and don't settle! I picked up my WS6 a few weeks ago for 9500. Had everything i wanted, 97k, it was local ( i would have been willing to drive a good distance for the right car) and it was from the original owner. I may not have gotten a deal of a lifetime but i dont feel as though i over paid and i got EXACTLY what i wanted so i am very happy. Dont give up or get discouraged because you cant find one right away. I looked hard for a solid 6-8 months before getting mine.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I bought my bone stock 2000 ws6 for $8,500 with 70,000 miles and in near flawless condition (only needed a console lid, has since been replaced) in South Oklahoma. If you can search in Oklahoma, they're EVERYWHERE there for around that price. Where I live (Amarillo) everyone and there dog has a 4th gen ls1 Camaro/Trans Am so everyone wants like $11,000-$15,000 for theirs with 150,000 miles on them because everyone here wants one and will pay that ridiculous amount for one.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:38 AM
Teching In

Default Virginia formula ws6

i have been watching this one for 2 months. It has dropped to $10,500 in one of the ads. Then I found another 1998 that I bought. Appears this one is still available:

http://www.autosourceofgloucester.co...hatchback.html
Old 06-04-2012, 03:49 PM
Launching!

Well I bought one, 98 Ws6 auto from the 2nd owner who has only owned it since February. Stock except for a magnaflow catback 109K miles which is more then I wanted but I got such a good deal on it and now I have 1500 I can toss into it I'm happy

Quick Reply: are they out there?