Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Don't make this mistake

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 02:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Don't make this mistake

I was washing my 02 Camaro and I opened the hood with the wipers raised and cracked the windshield. I found no warning about this in the owner’s manual but I’m still feeling very stupid.
Old 03-30-2004, 02:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yep, happens quite a bit
Old 03-30-2004, 03:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CANNIBAL
Yep, happens quite a bit
Yep, did this the same way last September. That was a nice $400 that could have been spent on something else.

Funny, I thought I was the only one to do this.

Tony
Old 03-30-2004, 03:17 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

There is acually an addendum (sp?) that they give with the Manual that says not to to that. It also says to stay away from "No-Touch" car washes because the high pressure water can blow through the T-Tops and it recommends rubbing di-electric grease (not sure on that one) into the rubber T-Top seals to make them last longer.
It says a couple other things too, but I'm not sure where it is at the moment to check.

--VIP
Old 03-30-2004, 03:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

my poor car wasnt even a couple months old and i did the same thing!
Old 03-30-2004, 03:34 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by PSU_Engineer
Yep, did this the same way last September. That was a nice $400.
Damn 400 bucks. I just replaced mine and it came to 184 labor and new seal included. But I was trying to get my wipers off when I cracked mine.
Old 03-30-2004, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

I almost did that once and luckily caught myself thanks to a post like this a while back. This thread should be stickied for a few weeks.
Old 03-30-2004, 04:58 PM
12 Second Club

That sux man, thanks for the warning.
Old 03-30-2004, 05:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RobzwickidSS
Damn 400 bucks. I just replaced mine and it came to 184 labor and new seal included. But I was trying to get my wipers off when I cracked mine.
Good ol' Safelite auto glass.
It's a funny story how I cracked the glass. I have a Z28 by the way (important to note b/c of the steel hood)
I was washing the car one sunny day and thought it would be a good idea to wash under the hood. Like Gary Z, I had put the arms up to wash under them as well. As I'm putting the hood up I hear creaking and cracking. So I think, "It's just the composite hood creaking on the metal hinges." and dismissed it as nothing to worry about. I even bounced the hood off the springs a couple of times to make the sound happen again so I can locate it.
Then about 5 min later my brain kicks in and says. Hey, you don't have an SS, that hood isn't composite!

Yet furthur proof that engineers have no common sense
Tony
Old 03-30-2004, 05:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

i've heard of this many times.

I started to open mine once, but luckily cought it.

Ryan
Old 03-30-2004, 06:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just washed my car, was detailing it, raised the hood with the windshiled wipers up and broke off the right wiper...this piece cost me $98 and a smartass remark from my wife of 9 years.....

For sale: A bad cook with a smart mouth and bad attitude, responds to everything except what you ask for, and serves as a great reminder to slow down when exceeding 40mph. Will let her go real cheap. would offer pics but she breaks cameras............
Old 03-30-2004, 06:19 PM
TECH Regular

ya, i started to do the same thing, it opened partially, i'm like WTF, so i push up VERY lightly and hear somethin so i immeadtly release pressure of the hood and drop it back down and then realized what i did, but nothing broke
Old 03-30-2004, 06:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

When I broke mine, people all over the neighborhood could hear me cussing so hard I ran out of english, It was this sickening cracking sound like a leg bone being broke real slow.... my wife walks out and sees me holding this thing like a wounded bird, and goes "what the hell did you do that for, need another reason to blow some more money on your toy?"

Note: It also works as a great boomarang...........
Old 03-30-2004, 06:43 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Joker
When I broke mine, people all over the neighborhood could hear me cussing so hard I ran out of english, It was this sickening cracking sound like a leg bone being broke real slow.... my wife walks out and sees me holding this thing like a wounded bird, and goes "what the hell did you do that for, need another reason to blow some more money on your toy?"

Note: It also works as a great boomarang...........

HAHAHAHAHA THATS GREAT a BOOMARANG!!!! hahahhahahahah
Old 03-30-2004, 07:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The only other stupid thing I will admit to when it comes to cars is that was traveling across the UP of Michigan and driving all night to get to a club date in Traverse City. Major snow storm was going on at about 5 below 0, hadn't seen another person on the road in a couple of hours, had to have a smoke and since I don't smoke in the car, got out and left the engine on with the heater running full blast and locked myself out of the Honda I was driving. Spent twenty minutes digging in the snow for a rock to knock out the vent window of the back door window....in Michigan, every mechanic I talked to gave me **** for driving a Honda.....
Old 03-30-2004, 07:11 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

Awesome UP story I can picture it...

I have 2 local friends who have cracked their windshiields the same way.
Old 03-30-2004, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joker
For sale: A bad cook with a smart mouth and bad attitude, responds to everything except what you ask for, and serves as a great reminder to slow down when exceeding 40mph. Will let her go real cheap. would offer pics but she breaks cameras............
hahaha. i could have told you to stay away from any women that are from lubbock. also san antonio.
Old 03-30-2004, 08:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My moms Z28 was a week, to the day, old when i found that out (I detailed their cars).. nice little crack from the drivers side wiper, to the rearview mirror area.. she just laughed at me..
Old 03-30-2004, 09:35 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

I know of at least 5 local guys that have cracked the windshield doing the exact same thing. I make it a point to NEVER lift up the wiper blades, I just lift them up with my hand and wipe underneath them and put them back down immediately. Just because I fear memory loss and a cracked windshield.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:35 PM
TECH Regular

I did it too but luckily just broke the wiper arm and not the windshield. Definately a sickening feeling though