Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Car Gets Dirty Quick

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 09:08 AM
TECH Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Car Gets Dirty Quick

I just washed my car yesterday morning, it looked great after I was done...

...3 hours later, I come out and go to work and there's a nice layer of dust / pollen / dirt, laying on my car!!!?! It's horrible and makes it look like I don't care about my car.

Why does my car get so dirty so quick? Is it just the color (Dark Yellow Green Metallic)
Old 06-08-2012, 09:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's the way it works. You can definitely tell the difference from a dirty car and a clean car than has a layer of dust, etc. That means you drive it and not keep it in a bubble in the garage.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:18 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks, Is there any way to help repel the dust? Waxing it?

Last edited by xBrandonx; 06-08-2012 at 09:30 AM.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

Nothing helps and the color doesn't matter either. All my cars are 'show ready' but after just 1 hour out during the pollen season the car is covered with just what you describe. I keep a detailer (Meguiar's, Mother's, Eagle One, whatever you prefer) and micro-fiber cloth handy and usually it is just the top half of the car that is bad. It takes 5 minutes to do the Trans Am. You have to have it highly waxed though to start with.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:30 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Nothing helps and the color doesn't matter either. All my cars are 'show ready' but after just 1 hour out during the pollen season the car is covered with just what you describe. I keep a detailer (Meguiar's, Mother's, Eagle One, whatever you prefer) and micro-fiber cloth handy and usually it is just the top half of the car that is bad. It takes 5 minutes to do the Trans Am. You have to have it highly waxed though to start with.
Thanks

You have to have it highly waxed so it doesn't scratch the paint when you wipe the dirt off?
Old 06-08-2012, 09:34 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pollen is for most people seasonal Best thing you can do is keep it out from under trees. When it rains everything gets dumped on the paint.

Mag's Ultimate Quick Wax is a VERY good protective layer. I notice after just washing and trying that the layer will still be there and work naturally.

Keeping your car in a garage space is optimal as well. In Connecticut we are just out of the Pollen season so now cars stay cleaner / longer.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:41 AM
Staging Lane

Tell me about it. I was washing mine yesterday and a bunch of white fluffy seeds/pollen kept landing on it and sticking to the water
Old 06-08-2012, 10:52 AM
TECH Regular

If you have an air compressor I would just blow it off before you leave. I wouldn't reccomend wiping a quick detailer on to clean it, that will cause micro marring
Old 06-08-2012, 01:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've noticed this as well. Usually after I drive it wherever I'm going and look at the car the dust/pollen is blown off...most of it
Old 06-08-2012, 04:06 PM
On The Tree

If you don't have access to a garage invest in a nice car cover.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:41 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Andrew1989
If you don't have access to a garage invest in a nice car cover.
This. But, that would be a hassle...

Take cover off before work
Get to work, put cover on
Leave work, take cover off
Get home, put cover on

Old 06-09-2012, 08:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by xBrandonx
Thanks

You have to have it highly waxed so it doesn't scratch the paint when you wipe the dirt off?
Yes, that is one reason, and the detailers work best on a higher level of wax protection. You must spray liberally too. Don't get cheap and wipe a 'dry' car. I've owned my T/A since new and use the cleaner wax as the first level, then the 100% carnauba wax as the final coat. I like Mother's (it really 'pops') and it doesn't break the bank at $10 a bottle (less when on sale). My car is regularly shown at car events so I take the appearance rather serious. I would not tolerate a product or process that scratches my paint, not on any of my cars. I use the same on my original paint '87 Aerocoupe. No issues and it is 25 years old!
I also agree about the car covers being a hassle. I own nice ones too but just use them for longer term storage. All my cars are garage kept and that seems to be the most important protection of all.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:14 AM
Captain Double Post

California car duster /twilight have used mine for years and i love it, dont need it as much on white as i did my black car but really works, well worth every penny
Old 06-10-2012, 04:10 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by xBrandonx
This. But, that would be a hassle...

Take cover off before work
Get to work, put cover on
Leave work, take cover off
Get home, put cover on

Lol, I take my cover with me to work .. When I first started using it people would talk stuff (not car people) then after awhile they saw how clean and safe if kept my car and understood it takes 5 min for me to throw my all weather cover on! Also get a lock for it so no one steals it.. But OP if you love your car and wanna keep it clean then put some effort into it
Old 06-10-2012, 05:10 AM
Captain Double Post

I agree with post above i use to take my cover with me to work etc,people look at you like your dumb but i never cared one anyone thought then or now

Quick Reply: Car Gets Dirty Quick