Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project lsx, supercharged ls1 into a 79 vette

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 01:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Project lsx, supercharged ls1 into a 79 vette

i bought a 79 vette a few months ago with only 24,000 miles on it and it had a brand new 383 stroker and 700r4 trans in it. but i wanted to make this into a drag car so i pulled the engine and tranny and got a buyer for them, and now im in the process of building a forged ls1 and ill be either procharging it with a F-1 or ill throw a whipple on it. tranny will be the 4l60e. im planning on getting up to 600-700 hp. just started the build last weekend and i plan on doing much more than just the engine and tranny swap, will be repainting and swapping out the c3 brakes for c5 brakes, will be adding sidepipes and changing the interior, plus all the gauges will be replaced with autometer custom gauges. just a few pics for now ill keep this updated as i go.

heres the vette when i first got it back when i still had my camaro

heres the motor that was in it before

heres the bay looking empty after the engine pull

got the new block, looks pretty good.

started on the center gauge cluster, not much but its a work in progress

Old 06-10-2012, 02:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I'll be watching. I've been using my 68 6.0 LSx, Richmond 6 speed, as a DD for the last few years. Great combo C3 + LSx
Old 06-10-2012, 03:54 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

http://shop.brutespeed.com/ATI-1LS10...1LS100-F1I.htm

The transplant kit would work well in your Corvette. If you want to see a copy of the installation instructions, send an e-mail to me at brutespeed@gmail.com Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 06-10-2012, 04:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subscribed
Old 06-10-2012, 05:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For future reference, don't pull torque converter like that, unbolt it from flex plate and leave it in the trans.

Cool build, ill be following.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Should be interesting to see this build come together. What are you doing to the transmission for it to hold the extra HP and abuse, and what brand torque converter are you using?

Why was the LS1 block your choice of blocks? The 6.0 cast iron blocks would hold up to the larger HP numbers you are looking to create much better than the aluminum blocks.

Also when buying a new forged rotating assembly, there is not much, if any, price difference between the stock bore and stroke and a larger stroker unit, in some cases the Stroker kits are less expensive than a stock size unit. Building from scratch it would seam to be better starting with a better/bigger block, in the end the cost would not be much more, but the HP and torque numbers would be greater.

Sorry, I'll shut up now.

Looking forward to seeing your build come together.

Riggs
Old 06-10-2012, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks all for the comments.

reason why i chose the ls1 block was because it was lighter and from what i know the ls aluminum block will hold the power im looking for. plus i got it for a great price. far as trans i havent gotten that far into it yet, prob will go with a TH400 or 350 if i cant cost effectively build a 4l60e
Old 06-10-2012, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

and thanks bob def will be calling you guys in the future
Old 06-10-2012, 09:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by usnfenix
thanks all for the comments.

reason why i chose the ls1 block was because it was lighter and from what i know the ls aluminum block will hold the power im looking for. plus i got it for a great price. far as trans i havent gotten that far into it yet, prob will go with a TH400 or 350 if i cant cost effectively build a 4l60e
Since you're still up in the air on the transmission, have you considered a 4L-80E? A converter and a shift kit should be all you need to slap on a used one to hold the power you're looking for. Bet you can get all that for less than a built 4L-60E, and hold the power better.

Quick Reply: Project lsx, supercharged ls1 into a 79 vette