LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

1995 firebird formula egr delete.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 firebird formula egr delete.

hello i am currently removing my egr while im dropping the engine in my 1995 firebird formula. I was wondering what i should do about the open ports on the headers now. My plan was to cut off the tubes that come off each header and then weld it shut. If i do this will it effect the exhaust flow? and i know i have to gel the block off plates for the back of the intake and do i have to remove the air pump if i do all the other stuff? sorry i kind of a noob at doing mods so any help is appreciated.
and how do i post pictures on a thread?
Old 06-13-2012, 06:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like you have EGR and AIR confused. The AIR system has the two lines that come off of the exhaust manifolds (not headers if we're talking stock), not the EGR, which has one single tube coming off the rear of the passenger side manifold. The block off plates for the back of the intake manifold is for the EGR.

If you're deleting the lines on the manifolds there's no need for the AIR pump, so go ahead and remove it.

Once again the AIR and EGR systems are in no way related to eachother (unless you have a 93).
Old 06-13-2012, 11:03 PM

Ok well I forgot to mention that I have headers and their is 1 air connection on each header so could I just cut them off and weld them shut?
Old 06-14-2012, 04:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, same thing.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:17 AM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 4thgenfan1995
Ok well I forgot to mention that I have headers and their is 1 air connection on each header so could I just cut them off and weld them shut?
I would find plugs for your headers rather than welding them shut.

Reason for doing this?

5 years after I installed headers I am now going with a crankcase ventilation system that utilizes the passenger side air pump fitting (exhaust scavenging). You may end up doing something like that, especially if you go FI or nitrous. Or you may end up needing to put the air pump back on at some point.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:20 AM
TECH Resident

hello i am currently removing my egr while im dropping the engine in my 1995 firebird formula. I was wondering what i should do about the open ports on the headers now. My plan was to cut off the tubes that come off each header and then weld it shut. If i do this will it effect the exhaust flow? and i know i have to gel the block off plates for the back of the intake and do i have to remove the air pump if i do all the other stuff? sorry i kind of a noob at doing mods so any help is appreciated.
and how do i post pictures on a thread?
Also as ramair said AIR and EGR are separate systems but you might want to remove EGR too especially if the headers aren't on the car or the engine is out or whatever.

AIR = two fittings in the headers, one on each side, somewhat near the front of the car. These go to a big u shaped pipe and you also have a big *** electric pump on the front driver's side of the car.

EGR = one hole in the back of the header (pass side) and two holes in the back of the intake.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:54 PM
TECH Resident

Ive got the EGR header block off in my tool box pay shipping & I will take 5 bucks for it plus fees for pay pal Just PM me
Old 06-15-2012, 05:51 PM

so i have began to delete everything for the air pump and system. the pump is out, the crossover tube is out now all i have left to do cap off that vacuum line that goes from the pump to that thing and cap off the headers. I was wodnering though what do i do with the electrical connecting that goes from the air pump to the same place where that one vacuum line goes? do i just pull it out and leave it like that?
Old 06-17-2012, 08:14 AM
TECH Resident

so i have began to delete everything for the air pump and system. the pump is out, the crossover tube is out now all i have left to do cap off that vacuum line that goes from the pump to that thing and cap off the headers. I was wodnering though what do i do with the electrical connecting that goes from the air pump to the same place where that one vacuum line goes? do i just pull it out and leave it like that?
Wrap the connector in electrical tape and maybe zip tie it to something.

Quick Reply: 1995 firebird formula egr delete.