Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about the FTRA & SLPs deal

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 08:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about the FTRA & SLPs deal

First of let me say "hi" since this is my first real post on on Tech.

Down to the nitty gritty.

I'm in the market for an induction system. I looked on the SLP site and they have their version of the FTRA system for $129, I checked out the FTRA and that is $169. Now the 40 bucks isn't a consern to me, I'm basically looking for a quality/performance difference.

hunder Racing shows the SLP verison and it says not for the Firehawk or the SS. When I talked to SLP they said whoever wrote that was full of it.

Now- Is the FTRA 40 bucks better then the SLP and does the SLP version not work with the SS?

I did a search but nothing really jumped out at me and said "I'm the answer" So if anyone has any idea, please chime in

Pork
Old 04-01-2004, 10:37 PM
TECH Resident

Do a search for the SSRA. In my opinion it's the best.
Old 04-02-2004, 03:56 PM
12 Second Club

The only reason it says that on the website is because of the "functional" hoods of the SS and Firehawks. Installing the FTRA or SLP ram air kit requires you to block off the front of the airbox with a supplied seal to completely take advantage of the unit. Doing this on the SS and Firehawk, as well as the WS6, will block the ram air from the hood. With that being said, the ram air from the FTRA or SLP unit would be better anyway than the hoods, especially true with the SS hood.

Now, there is a difference between the FTRA and SLP. First, the FTRA has the duct plus an extension plate that attaches to the duct and extends to the front air dam. The SLP does not, at least it didn't when I got mine.

Second, the FTRA seal is removable, whereas the SLP has doublesided tape on it to attach it to the air box opening.

Third, the FTRA comes with a block off plate for bad weather to negate the risk of water injestion into the motor.

Now, maybe SLP has changed the seal, made an extension plate, and now supply a blockoff plate, I dunno...when I bought mine two years ago, they didnt. Hope this helps.

BTW, I have a SLP version with a FTRA extension, making it the FT version.
Old 04-02-2004, 04:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

SLP CAI produced higher inlet air temperature (IAT)
on my SS than the SS hood alone. This is because
it's a large stainless heat absorber sitting an inch
from the radiator. There's only a little bit of it left
now, I hacked most of it off.
Old 04-03-2004, 04:36 PM
FormerVendor

Default SLP Vs FTRA

The SLP kit is a cold air kit. It simply puts a duct down under the air box that has an opening that sits half way up the radiator. There is no method to direct air directly into this duct.

The FTRA is a true ram air kit. It provides a duct and extension that routes high speed air right off the lower air deflector. The kit also is completely sealed which results in a slight pressurization of the air box at speed for better performance, throttle response and fuel economy. Lastly, as already mentioned, the FTRA includes a block off plate to disable the kit for bad weather, removable front seal, better mounting methods, better sealing, better instructions, rolled edges for better strength etc etc.
Old 04-03-2004, 04:43 PM
Launching!

well for heck of it, you could toss the SSRA in there too if you wanted, i got one of those, i like the setup, very nice. But the FTRA seems to be really nice too, so id say the SSRA or FTRA would be by far the best options since they work better(edit....perhaps more efficient would fit better, dont need to start a argument over this). but thats just my .02
Old 04-07-2004, 06:41 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Fast Toys Performance Parts
...better instructions...
I normally stay out of the "Brand X vs. Brand Y" product comparisons because I feel for the most part any difference is negligible, but the SLP CAI's instructions were horrible when I did mine. It may seem like a small annoyance, but when you're cutting up the radiator shroud on your brand new Z28 you come to appreciate clear direction.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:29 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Caswell
I normally stay out of the "Brand X vs. Brand Y" product comparisons because I feel for the most part any difference is negligible, but the SLP CAI's instructions were horrible when I did mine. It may seem like a small annoyance, but when you're cutting up the radiator shroud on your brand new Z28 you come to appreciate clear direction.
Yes! SLP instructions are about a page long with one diagram and the FTRA comes with 12 page long, detailed instructions with lots of pictures!
Old 04-07-2004, 10:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had my FTRA for about 3 years now and love it! When I got the FTRA it was right when Whisper came out w/their exact copy of Fast Toys design... I refused to buy the whisper unit for that reason alone ... fast toys did the R&D and then another company came along and ripped em off...

I don't have any experience w/the SSRA but my FTRA is awesome... I've bottomed out a few times (drag suspension and skinnies) and no damage to it (it attaches by the Air Dam), I have a WS6 so what I ended up doing is making a blockoff plate out of sheet metal and then using door insulation to block off all the openings in front...
Old 04-07-2004, 02:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

FTRA!!.it works....I did it...and we are fixing to do it on a 2002 Hawk!!....
Old 04-07-2004, 03:39 PM
On The Tree

Another vote for the FTRA. I have had mine since when they first hit the market and am very pleased. Recently I resealed the airbox with new 3/4 " window seals from home depot, I recommend this for anyone who has had it installed for more then 2 years.

mike
Old 04-12-2004, 01:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just to let ya all know. I got both, the FTRA and the SLP version just to see how different it is. The directions were short and right to the point where the FTRA look like they will be a big help. Also with the extra pieces, the FTRA looks to be the better choice. So with that being said, the SLP goes back tomorrow. Can't wait to slap it in this weekend and go. Thanks fellas.