Need Help Getting Faster in the 1/8

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 04:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need Help Getting Faster in the 1/8

Went to the track for the first time yesterday and didn't want to leave!! Needless to say i'm going back in 2 weekends when they're open again!

Best pass was:

60' 1.752
330' 5.235
ET 8.125
MPH 87.02

Previous owner of the car went 7.8...I wonder where I lost 3 tenths?! My goal is to get at least a 7.8, and a 7.5 before the track closes this fall.

My current plan is to find a set of relocation brackets to help with traction ( spun hard most passes), play with tire pressure, obviously get more seat time in, and maybe put in a good cam/tune.

With your guys experience, what will be needed to get that 7.5?

Thanks! This is in the T/A btw, the Camaro won't see the track for a while with the street tires and 10 bolt lol
Old 07-09-2012, 05:56 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The DA is probably playing a part in some time lost since its one of the worst times to run around now just about anywhere. I assume your running off the bottle so I would definitley look into a good cam/tune. That will get you close to your 7.50 pass.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:40 AM
11 Second Club

Bolt ons/ weight reduction/ gears would get you to 7.5 easily, a cam set up should get your close to 7.0s just depends on where you want to spend your money and how far you want to go with the car
Old 07-09-2012, 11:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 89ROC-Z
Went to the track for the first time yesterday and didn't want to leave!! Needless to say i'm going back in 2 weekends when they're open again!

Best pass was:

60' 1.752
330' 5.235
ET 8.125
MPH 87.02

Previous owner of the car went 7.8...I wonder where I lost 3 tenths?! My goal is to get at least a 7.8, and a 7.5 before the track closes this fall.

My current plan is to find a set of relocation brackets to help with traction ( spun hard most passes), play with tire pressure, obviously get more seat time in, and maybe put in a good cam/tune.

With your guys experience, what will be needed to get that 7.5?

Thanks! This is in the T/A btw, the Camaro won't see the track for a while with the street tires and 10 bolt lol
did the previous owner have time slips?? if not id say he may have bs'd you.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Heat and DA most likely slowed you down a good bit.

I would do relocation brackets, good set of 10-way single adjustable shocks front and rear, then a cam and tune.

What tires are you running? Wheels?
Old 07-10-2012, 01:51 PM
TECH Regular

Since it was your first time at the track, more seat time will help more than anything.

Al
Old 07-11-2012, 02:04 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TransAmcoupe98
The DA is probably playing a part in some time lost since its one of the worst times to run around now just about anywhere. I assume your running off the bottle so I would definitley look into a good cam/tune. That will get you close to your 7.50 pass.
Yep just NA. I'm not going to spray the car as I would rather save that $$ for a turbo.

Originally Posted by SuperSlow02
Bolt ons/ weight reduction/ gears would get you to 7.5 easily, a cam set up should get your close to 7.0s just depends on where you want to spend your money and how far you want to go with the car
Do you think i need gears? It's shifting right at or right before the stripe, which is what you want right??

I'd like to go pretty far this year with it, and really don't want to spend more than a grand on it this year as I got enough money into the camaro lol.

As for a cam I think i'd get a TU1 or TU2...just because i know in the near future i'll do a pretty budget s480 build on it.

Originally Posted by gs462
did the previous owner have time slips?? if not id say he may have bs'd you.
I don't think it was BS? He sounded pretty sincere about it lol

Originally Posted by Fbodyjunkie06
Heat and DA most likely slowed you down a good bit.

I would do relocation brackets, good set of 10-way single adjustable shocks front and rear, then a cam and tune.

What tires are you running? Wheels?
I was hoping you'd stop in!! Relocation brackets are ordered, what kind of shocks would you get for the rear? I would like to do all 4 right away, but I think that the money from the front shocks would be better off going torwards a cam not? I'm running 255/50?/16 ET streets on welds for the rear, and MT sportman front runners.

Originally Posted by T6Rocket
Since it was your first time at the track, more seat time will help more than anything.

Al
Can't wait to get more time in the seat!! Most fun i've ever had with my pants on lol

Thanks for all the advise guys
Old 07-11-2012, 07:06 AM
11 Second Club

Since you want to go turbo, leave the gear alone. If your budget minded, cut weight out of the car, you can get a good amount out without spending any money

Quick Reply: Need Help Getting Faster in the 1/8