Questions about buying a car out of state

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 12:15 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about buying a car out of state

I'm looking at an '09 Z06 that's currently in Louisiana. I've never bought a car that's out of state before, and I was wondering what all I have to do once I get it? It's for sell by owner, if that makes a difference.

I read somewhere that I'm not even allowed to drive it until I get the Texas plates in. Is that true?
Old 07-14-2012, 12:55 PM
TECH Junkie

I bought a car with California plates years ago, when I was transferring title I don't recall any extra fees or issues.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:00 PM
Launching!

I bought the 2000 WS6 in my sig from florida 2 yrs ago and I was able to drive it around Houston but I only did that for a few days till I had the chance to do the title paperwork. As far as extra fees, unless that owner filled out the required paperwork indicating he gave that car to you as a gift ($10 fee), you will have to pay a fee based on how much the car was sold for. Also, you will have to get the car inspected, whether you consider that a fee or not is up to you.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you plan on driving it from LA to TX, get insurance for it, go to the county tax office with proof of insurance and purchase paper plates for it. Last time I bought them a couple of years ago 30 day plates were like 25 bucks. They take cash only.

Take the Form 130U and have the seller fill in the needed information and sign and date it. The name on the signature needs to be exactly as it appears on the title. You can also make a Bill Of Sale, just in case. Make sure the seller signs the title. Not sure if there are any specific requirements in LA for the seller. Might want to check with the seller.

Once you are back in TX, get the car inspected and request the inspection station to give you also the green sheet. You need that when you go to the tax office to get it registered.

Go to tax office with the signed title, Form 130U and the green sheep (which is actually white, but anyway...) to apply for TX title and pay for the applicable taxes. Taxes will be assessed based on the Standard Presumptive Value. http://www.txdmv.gov/vehicles/titles...tive_value.htm

You can, of course, try to tell them you got it as a gift, but AFAIK that should only work between family members, so... The Standard Presumptive Value was created a few years ago just because of the so many cheap/gift/free cars that were registered in the past.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:05 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Texfinn
If you plan on driving it from LA to TX, get insurance for it, go to the county tax office with proof of insurance and purchase paper plates for it. Last time I bought them a couple of years ago 30 day plates were like 25 bucks. They take cash only.

Take the Form 130U and have the seller fill in the needed information and sign and date it. The name on the signature needs to be exactly as it appears on the title. You can also make a Bill Of Sale, just in case. Make sure the seller signs the title. Not sure if there are any specific requirements in LA for the seller. Might want to check with the seller.

Once you are back in TX, get the car inspected and request the inspection station to give you also the green sheet. You need that when you go to the tax office to get it registered.

Go to tax office with the signed title, Form 130U and the green sheep (which is actually white, but anyway...) to apply for TX title and pay for the applicable taxes. Taxes will be assessed based on the Standard Presumptive Value. http://www.txdmv.gov/vehicles/titles...tive_value.htm

You can, of course, try to tell them you got it as a gift, but AFAIK that should only work between family members, so... The Standard Presumptive Value was created a few years ago just because of the so many cheap/gift/free cars that were registered in the past.
Wow, that was EXTREMELY helpful. Thanks! I've never messed with the 130U form before, so I hope I get everything right on it. Or hopefully the seller knows what to fill out.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Slash8915
Wow, that was EXTREMELY helpful. Thanks! I've never messed with the 130U form before, so I hope I get everything right on it. Or hopefully the seller knows what to fill out.
Glad to help. I have bought several cars from out of state and have pretty much always followed the same process and have never had any issues. Some of the cars have never been titled again in TX, so I there was no need for the Form 130U.

Seller's contribution is needed only in items 15, 18 and 22, so as long as you have that info from the seller, you are good to go.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just a tip, take some extra copys of the form just incase something gets messed up on it.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have to get it inspected before you can transfer the title
Old 07-15-2012, 12:41 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 06colorado
You have to get it inspected before you can transfer the title
Which is why it's going to get an inspection before I take it over to G-force.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good choice!!
Old 07-15-2012, 12:46 PM
Launching!

I bought a car from West Virginia and my dad picked it up and drove it home to Tennessee (I was in Iraq at the time). I just insured it, had a bill of sale, and had the title. He didn't have any issues, but he is also the guys that drives 5 or 10 under the speed limit on the interstate so I didn't really have to worry about trouble with the cops lol.
He just thought it was loud until I took him for a ride
Old 07-15-2012, 05:15 PM
Staging Lane

Texfinn is correct. I just bought a truck in NM and had to do it just like he explained. Pretty much just get insurance and get it inspected with the green sheet(white) and you can pencil whip the rest. And tarrant county doesn't accept visa anymore for this. So bring CASH or check. I'm not sure of any other places but I know for a fact that they don't. Not sure if they accept master or discover.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:15 AM
Launching!

Be very very careful about buying LA cars. There was a known scam where they could get salvaged titles purged and have the car titles show up clean.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:16 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by ysb02
Be very very careful about buying LA cars. There was a known scam where they could get salvaged titles purged and have the car titles show up clean.
I had a buddy at a dealership pull up a VERY detailed report for me. It looks clean.