Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 1992 TYPHOON project

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 07:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question LS1 1992 TYPHOON project

hey guys i have started this project a few days ago... and looking to have a powerful and light awd car ...
im planning to start by just using rear wheel drive to save time and install the front drive shaft after all the bugs have been fixed and untill the car would be stable because the previous owner told me about the ls1 oil pan conflicts with the front driveshaft system.. when all is going right and the car is set up.. i will begin the phase of staged upgrading starting by modding the oil pan and installing the front drivetrain after..
i plan of using a thm700r4 transmission and i will also already install the transfer case.. and in the future hoping to upgrade to a ratchet shifter system
the car has a 5cm body lift installed as a result for the oil pan to fit .. but seemed unsuccesful so i would also remove that
im new to mechanics and im 14 so i need you guys to guide me through here's my list of works to do

1=change wheels for easy transport and to look decent
2=remove the whole front driveshaft
3=remove the whole front body panels for easy engine installation
4=remove the 5cm body lift installed
5=clean up the whole engine bay
6=mount on the engine and transmission
7=install engine components
8=install harnesses and electrical components
9=restore all handling parts like brakes and the suspension system
10=test drive the vehicle
11=fix any remaining bugs
12=restore body parts
and after everything is done and if i found a solution to the oil pan palroblem
i will go forward to installing the front driveshaft and run awd.
anyways please give any comment or suggestion that would help me with this project thanks..
i leave you with some pictures i took for the car
Attachment 363527

Attachment 363528

Attachment 363529

Attachment 363530

Attachment 363531

Last edited by AlhozamiAutoali; 07-17-2012 at 05:57 AM.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Couldn't get the pics to load.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:17 PM
Staging Lane

you should leave the truck alone..
Old 07-14-2012, 10:03 PM
11 Second Club

you are 14 new to working on cars and you plan to get 1-12 of those steps done in a week? HAHA. but good luck anyway. please dont screw that Typhoon up.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:55 AM
TECH Resident

Its good to see someone so young with goals, but good luck. An engine swap isn't really a "first project."

Be realistic. You'll be lucky to finish those steps a week at a time. Depending on your income and skills, it could take months per step. All the little things really add up with a swap project. I honestly thought I could do my swap in 6 months (at 19). I finished it 3 years later. Not every swap will go like that, but you really don't understand the amount of time, work, and money required until you get involved with a project.

All said, don't get discouraged. When you're done, you will have something to be very proud of.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not going to say you can't do it because you can. Well not in a week but you can accomplish the build. With enough cash and perseverance you accomplish anything. All of the info you need to make it work is right here on this forum.

Now with all of that being said I was always curious about this swap if you could use the Trailblazer SS front differential and oil pan to retain the AWD. The diff mounts to the oil pan and the driveshaft actually runs through the oil pan.

Good luck with your build.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:57 AM
Teching In

Question

Originally Posted by 10droped
Couldn't get the pics to load.
this was the only way i saw how to upload pics ... whats the correct way??
Old 07-15-2012, 06:58 AM
Teching In

Question

Originally Posted by LsxNotchy
you should leave the truck alone..
the truck already doesnt have an engine and i cant afford a turbo system..
Old 07-15-2012, 07:01 AM
Teching In

Smile

Originally Posted by jsteele90
you are 14 new to working on cars and you plan to get 1-12 of those steps done in a week? HAHA. but good luck anyway. please dont screw that Typhoon up.
the great thing is that when it got to me the typhoon was alreay ready for mounting it had all the engine mounts for the v8 just needed some small things to be done before it was ready ..
thats why i was over confident about it .. sorry bout that
Old 07-15-2012, 07:04 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by i r teh noobz
Its good to see someone so young with goals, but good luck. An engine swap isn't really a "first project."

Be realistic. You'll be lucky to finish those steps a week at a time. Depending on your income and skills, it could take months per step. All the little things really add up with a swap project. I honestly thought I could do my swap in 6 months (at 19). I finished it 3 years later. Not every swap will go like that, but you really don't understand the amount of time, work, and money required until you get involved with a project.

All said, don't get discouraged. When you're done, you will have something to be very proud of.

thanks alot because when i finished the first 3 steps in two days and when i looked at my car and it was already ready to swap so i thought i could do it .... my budget is low thats why i try to keep it simple...but im sure even if i got the engine running theres still that long process of getting the car just right...
Old 07-15-2012, 07:09 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sierrac3_s2000
I'm not going to say you can't do it because you can. Well not in a week but you can accomplish the build. With enough cash and perseverance you accomplish anything. All of the info you need to make it work is right here on this forum.

Now with all of that being said I was always curious about this swap if you could use the Trailblazer SS front differential and oil pan to retain the AWD. The diff mounts to the oil pan and the driveshaft actually runs through the oil pan.

Good luck with your build.
the truth is.. i have no cash .. but my cousin has the one who had this truck but had no time to work on it .. so i asked for it and he was very flexible with me,, and about the engines and mechanics .. my family (my brother and my cousin) have been in the car hobby for a long time now. so they, are also guiding me through this build..and i get all my stuff from them .. specifically my ls1 and trans came curtesy of my brother..
Old 07-15-2012, 07:36 AM
Teching In

Default photos

so since the photos have not worked i hope these do..

Old 07-15-2012, 10:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Wow thats a shame someone let one of those get in that condition.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:56 AM
Launching!

Your biggest problem is the oil pan. There are a couple pans out there that have been used. RPM in Cali was selling them, not sure if they are anymore. Otherwise if your helper can weld aluminum that is your next option. I used a hummer pan on my ls swap in the ty. Had to cut it and reweld the bottom and the sump area to clerear the front diff. Your next biggest problem is no money. Getting a exhaust and wiring and a few other items are not free. You might want to check out syty.net or v-8s10.com and see what's going on there.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by i r teh noobz

It took me over a year and 6k$ and I have been working on cars for 20 years. I think you bit off more than you can chew. On the other hand my first major undertaking was at 18 I swapped everything including wirring from a 76 Camaro to a 73. There was no internet back then to help me.
GL
Old 07-15-2012, 12:23 PM
On The Tree

Yea those worked, was gonna tell you to create a photobucket account, but it looks like you got it figured out. Good luck with the build, wish I had something like that when I was ur age. It will be a lot of fun when ur done.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:23 PM
8 Second Club

guys what you don't know is his brother and cousin are car nuts through and through , plus he will have my help too

if anyone can do this project, this kid would be the guy to do it .
Old 07-15-2012, 02:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Before you go too far,I would look into not running the front driveshaft,some of those viscous coupling awd transfer cases won't go anywhere without it.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:00 PM
Teching In

I finished my first S10 ls1 swap within a couple of months. The biggest issue was money, you never really understand how much money is going to be thrown into a swap project until you start doing it. Don't forget you need to do wiring, exhaust, fuel system, cooling system. If you want power steering and a/c (if applicable) it's also going to cost you.

Your best bet is to take of the radiator support to make it easier on yourself when you put the motor in. If you get the fenders off all it takes is another two bolts to take it off.

Good luck and get a job!!! hahah. I have thrown probably 15 grand into my swap project because I used good parts and took short cuts where safety wasn't an issue!
Old 07-15-2012, 06:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by tfi racing
Before you go too far,I would look into not running the front driveshaft,some of those viscous coupling awd transfer cases won't go anywhere without it.
Correct, you can not drive the vehicle with the front driveshaft disconnected without damaging the viscous coupler in the transfer case in a very short time.

Quick Reply: LS1 1992 TYPHOON project