Old 07-16-2012, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ignition wiring ???

Sense there is no distributor where do you hook the brown ignition wire
Old 07-16-2012, 10:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We need more information.. what are you working with and what are your trying to wire up.(details). just to make sure we give you a good answer....

Also, what is the brown wire coming from / to ?

BC
Old 07-16-2012, 11:00 AM
On The Tree

I was thinking he meant the dist coil positive. If that is what he means... I used mine to power my relays that i need hot in ignition run/start.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

The hot wire that plugs into the battery side on a distributor 'HEI".....this wire puts fire to the coil...whould this wire go to the MSD 6LS ? I'll. Be running. A Carb..
Old 07-16-2012, 02:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jaywill
The hot wire that plugs into the battery side on a distributor 'HEI".....this wire puts fire to the coil...
Factory HEI usually had a heavier ga pink wire that was switched ign. Thin brown or white next to it was tach output.

Can't help on the MSD box.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The OEM EFI system requires two types of battery power, constant 12+v and IGN 12+v.

Constant 12+ is easy enought to get wired. .

But for IGN 12+ hot and using the older OEM wiring that would have power the older coil and Distribuitor, you can use that wire to feed the PCM and any other IGN (Pink wire) 12+v hot. But you need to make sure that wire stand hot on both the Run and Start and during the transition between the two posistions.
Many have had issue with using the old Coil/Dist wire in that it cut out going from Run to start and back to run. You can id these system by a extr wire to the coil that comes from the Starter. That way it made sure you have a constand IGN 12+v all of the time and as long as the key is in Run/Start.

Check it with a volt meter. .if the wire goes dead while the key being moved from run-start-run. .then you need to find another IGN 12+ source. That stays hot.

Once youf find a IGN constant 12+ hot, you can use it to power the Pink harness wires (PCM, sensors, etc).

So, if that brown wire is the one your referring to. .then check it first. (remember other cars might have different color wires, that is why I asked in the first place).

BC
Old 07-16-2012, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

what wire will i have 2 use 2 get fire 2 the coil packs ? and where does the wires from the crank sensor hook 2 ???
Old 07-16-2012, 08:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You will use the wire that used to send power to the distributor to power the MSD box. The box will plug into the coils, crank sensor and cam sensor. If you don't have the MSD box yet, you need to get it and read the instructions. That will answer most, if not all, of your questions.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1MCSS
You will use the wire that used to send power to the distributor to power the MSD box. The box will plug into the coils, crank sensor and cam sensor. If you don't have the MSD box yet, you need to get it and read the instructions. That will answer most, if not all, of your questions.
thanks 100!!! that's what i was wanting 2 know !!!

Quick Reply: ignition wiring ???