General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Blinkers not working..

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 02:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Blinkers not working..

Hey guys, blinker lights just went out a few days ago. Nothing comes on when I click the turn signal lever, not even the lights on the dash. My hazards work fine, DRLs work fine, brake lights/side marker lights/headlights all work fine. When it went out I checked the fuse and it was blown so I thought that was the problem, I replaced the fuse and it blew again so I replaced the flasher and fuse and then it started working but then it stopped working later that day. Now I'm thinking its either a bad relay or I need to replace the turn signal lever? Any thoughts of what it could be?..thanks
Old 07-26-2012, 02:44 PM
Teching In

Sounds like you need to replace the relay. The little cylindrical thing under the dash. I've had to do this before.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jhpeyto
Sounds like you need to replace the relay. The little cylindrical thing under the dash. I've had to do this before.
U sure that isn't the flasher?
Old 07-26-2012, 03:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Relays are square, flashers are silver cylinders.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:17 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by knight_rider
U sure that isn't the flasher?
There are relays in the DRL module, but I think the jhpeyto was talking about the flasher. The actual relays in the DRL module are shared with the hazards, so they are not a problem.

When does the fuse blow? When you actually hit the turn signal? Does it happen when you go in both directions with the turn signal? Have you done anything electrical under the dash recently. (Radio, brakes, etc.?)
Old 07-26-2012, 04:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wssix99
There are relays in the DRL module, but I think the jhpeyto was talking about the flasher. The actual relays in the DRL module are shared with the hazards, so they are not a problem.

When does the fuse blow? When you actually hit the turn signal? Does it happen when you go in both directions with the turn signal? Have you done anything electrical under the dash recently. (Radio, brakes, etc.?)
I believe it does blow when I hit the turn signal because when it first happened that's what I did and nothing happened, checked the fuse I just replaced and it was toast. It probably blows when I click it down because thats when it stopped working when I replaced the flasher. I can double check tho. I haven't done anything electrical to it either. Clutch was replaced but that was a few months ago.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:06 PM
Teching In

Maybe I got the terms confused, but this thing:

Old 07-26-2012, 05:15 PM
On The Tree

Yeah that's the flasher, I already replaced that and it worked for a bit then went out again.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:04 PM
On The Tree

Ok I replaced the fuse and the blinkers started working again, however, I found out that when I put it into reverse that's when the fuse blows. Does this mean I need to replace my reverse lights?
Old 07-26-2012, 09:07 PM
Save the manuals!

getting warmer... So, the fuse blowing has nothing to do with the turn signalls? It only blows when you put the car in reverse?
Old 07-26-2012, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Id say check the rear lamps for moisture.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:35 PM
Save the manuals!

Did a search for "reverse turn signal fuse" and a ton of results came up. This was in the first 4. You may have more luck by looking through the others:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...n-signals.html
Old 07-27-2012, 09:33 AM
On The Tree

getting warmer... So, the fuse blowing has nothing to do with the turn signalls? It only blows when you put the car in reverse?
Yes from the looks of it it has nothing to do with the turn signals but as soon as I put the car into reverse the fuse blows. I checked the reverse lights and it seems like theres no moisture in there, I'll probably open it up just to make sure.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:53 AM
On The Tree

I had a car one time where as soon as I would touch the brakes, the fuse for the brake lights would pop. Found out that a wire had worked its way loose and rubbed on a leaf spring until it grounded itself out. Maybe trace some of your wires?
Old 07-27-2012, 12:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Bacon
I had a car one time where as soon as I would touch the brakes, the fuse for the brake lights would pop. Found out that a wire had worked its way loose and rubbed on a leaf spring until it grounded itself out. Maybe trace some of your wires?
I was thinking that too..where would I find that wire tho, in the steering column? I was going to replace my reverse switch on the tranny (mine is M6) because I had a clutch swap not too long ago and I remember when I got the car back it was hard to put into reverse and while driving on the highway, whenever I would try downshifting from 6th gear to 5th it would go to reverse instead and grind (it never done that before). So I'll check that out..
Old 07-27-2012, 09:58 PM
Save the manuals!

If this only happens when you put the car in reverse, its probably the reverse switch in the transmission. I recall several threads a while back with similar issues.

Easy way to confirm - unplug switch and then test.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:11 AM
On The Tree

If this only happens when you put the car in reverse, its probably the reverse switch in the transmission. I recall several threads a while back with similar issues.

Thanks 99 for all your help...I'll get it checked out and replaced and see if that will fix the problem.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:37 PM
On The Tree

Ok I replaced the reverse switch in the transmission and blinkers started working again. So that's fixed..now my reverse lights won't go on when I put the car into reverse. It worked fine when we jumped the wires, testing to see if everything worked..any clue as to what is going on here?
Old 08-20-2012, 05:19 PM
Save the manuals!

Maybe a bad switch or loose connection? Was there any corrosion in the connector to the reverse switch?
Old 08-20-2012, 05:32 PM
On The Tree

Maybe a bad switch or loose connection? Was there any corrosion in the connector to the reverse switch?
Not sure, I'll have to check it out again..but it worked fine when I jumped the connector to rule out if there was a short in it?

Quick Reply: Blinkers not working..