Ls engine builders in houston area?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 11:51 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ls engine builders in houston area?

Well starting new build and wanting to use a reputible engine builder in the Houston area. I used HKE and would love to use him again but its almost impossible to get a hold of him ot get him to answer a email. So until he answers me back I have to look elsewhere. Please if you recomened someone please share experience. Thanks
Old 07-29-2012, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This is who is building mine right now... I obviously can't vouch for its success yet but I will say I have been very impressed with the work he has done on it to this point.... VERY meticulous, very detailed blueprints and he is open to share everything with you on it....Not keeping the specs "top secret" like the other local builders... and his communication 100% above all of the rest...
http://www.hsquaredracingengines.com/

My engine will be done this thursday hopefully and we'll get it back in the car and on the dyno within the next month.

Another great Engine builder is G&G up in Tomball.... They build anything you can possibly think of... I recently had them build a vintage, #s matching 327 for my dad's vette and they did an excellent job. The only reason I didnt use them for my LS build is I wasn't sure about their build experience for big power/forced induction LS builds.... I'm sure they were more then capable but....I just decided in the end to stick with H Squared.

PS...
I also tried for HKE and couldnt get a return call...
Old 07-29-2012, 06:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I vote for HKE but also like Westside Machine Shop, they have built many LS motors and it's done quick and top notch work
Old 07-29-2012, 07:50 PM
12 Second Club

I have seen G&G motors with different pistons before. 100% trash, stay far away. HKE may be busy but there is a reason, id wait.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

+1 for westside machine
Old 07-29-2012, 09:49 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Erik's usually pretty good about answering emails, maybe not so much the phone, but his engines are top notch. Westside Machine does good work as well as Late Model Engines.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:39 PM
Staging Lane

G&G has built some bad *** motors.i believe they built seafish's motor.

Every shop has their skeletons.good luck in who you choose but i chose G&G..
Old 07-30-2012, 04:02 AM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Erik at HKE is the best LS builder available IMO. He is busy and has a decent back log because he doesn't mass produce engines. If you have the time, he's worth waiting for and usually replies to PMs and e-mails each day. If you are in a hurry, those listed above like Westside or G&G are good options.

G/L
Old 07-30-2012, 09:30 AM
Teching In

I vote LME they have in house superflow engine dyno and the ability to test each engine, and have many records in the texas mile and drag racing. Peco and brian are top notch.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:54 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by TXCAMSS
Erik at HKE is the best LS builder available IMO. He is busy and has a decent back log because he doesn't mass produce engines. If you have the time, he's worth waiting for and usually replies to PMs and e-mails each day. If you are in a hurry, those listed above like Westside or G&G are good options.

G/L
Ditto. IM Eric or send an email. He's usually good about replying back. Phone - no good!
Old 07-30-2012, 02:52 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys! By no means am I trying to bad mouth anyone especially Eric. Hes a great person and awesome engine builder but im sure hes extremly busy with what hes has going on. I will give him some time and hope we can work something out. Im just trying to know of other options. Ive have heard good things about LME but I dont know anything abouth G&G, WestSide, or h squared. I look them up Thanks!
Old 07-30-2012, 05:20 PM
Staging Lane

Im sure Eric @ HKE is a good guy and i know he has done some bad *** motors but good luck getting in contact him and good luck getting your motor back within several months/years...

I have heard great things about G&G,LME,H Squared etc as well and with them you can call,email,stop by the shop whatever and you will always have answers..and you will have your engine within a month or so..not 3,4,5,9 months for a shortblock.just my opinion.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:09 PM
Teching In

Well I was able to get a hold of him today. I odered my parts they should be in soon. He gave me reassurance and I feel alot better about the entire situation. Last engine he did my build for me took two weeks and most of that was waiting on parts. Ill keep everyone posted on the build. Thanks!
Old 07-30-2012, 09:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by moiy1983
Well I was able to get a hold of him today. I odered my parts they should be in soon. He gave me reassurance and I feel alot better about the entire situation. Last engine he did my build for me took two weeks and most of that was waiting on parts. Ill keep everyone posted on the build. Thanks!
why I am ordering the parts for my build myself, that way there's no waiting on parts when I finally get around to having my short block assembled
Old 08-01-2012, 11:37 AM
Staging Lane

City Machine in Rosenberg, Texas. Talk to Cruz
Old 08-01-2012, 01:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks like square h has sam guys.
Although erik TAUGHT alot if not most of the current good ls engine builders.
Man is busy for a reason. Erik will walk you thru what you need and reccomend. Doesnt look down on any question you have. Doesnt assume everyone are squirrels. Like most other engine builders. Who prolly dont even degree cams or know how to figure dcr. LOL!
Old 08-01-2012, 01:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Really depends how much you need spec'd. If you just need someone to assemble over the counter parts pretty much anybody can. If you want something really nasty go straight to HKE.... there's a reason shops outsource to him. Erik doesn't have fast turnaround and he is hard to get ahold of but his product is worth it IMO.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Sprayed1998
I have seen G&G motors with different pistons before. 100% trash, stay far away. HKE may be busy but there is a reason, id wait.
I would like to hear more about this. I have used G&G several times and had nothing but good luck. Maybe the motors that had different pistons were supplied with them, do you know the whole story? Probably not, lol, just hearsay.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
I would like to hear more about this. I have used G&G several times and had nothing but good luck. Maybe the motors that had different pistons were supplied with them, do you know the whole story? Probably not, lol, just hearsay.
+1

I have several buddies that use G&G for a lot of killer stuff.... One of them G&G built a 440" 18* SBC that made 900hp on motor. The car its in runs 9.00s@147 at 3600 lbs, all motor...

Tell me they don't know how to build a killer motor...

They do machine work for another buddy of mine that builds 850hp pump gas BBCs.....He uses them exclusively and swears by them..... His stuff makes big power and lasts a long long time..
Old 08-01-2012, 08:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ajrothm
+1

I have several buddies that use G&G for a lot of killer stuff.... One of them G&G built a 440" 18* SBC that made 900hp on motor. The car its in runs 9.00s@147 at 3600 lbs, all motor...

Tell me they don't know how to build a killer motor...

They do machine work for another buddy of mine that builds 850hp pump gas BBCs.....He uses them exclusively and swears by them..... His stuff makes big power and lasts a long long time..
They did all the machine work and porting on head on a 23 degree small block I build a few years back. Had some pro action iron lightening heads on it. On a 250 shot it went 5.70's Good little combo. They also build a big block for us that made a **** ton of torque. Joe is a class act. The guy that posted this bullshit is obviously not, lol.

Quick Reply: Ls engine builders in houston area?