LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Optispark Woes

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 08:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Optispark Woes

First timer here, but I've used this forum over the past several days for troubleshooting. So I decided I'd post my experience. I have a 95 LT1 in my 64 impala SS, car was running great until a couple weeks ago. After then engine would heat up it would randomly die on me. Replaced the ICM, replaced the coil. Still died. My last resort; replace the optispark. Now when I installed the engine in the impala, I am certain I put a new cap and rotor in it. Upon removal of my opti it seems that there is quite a bit of slop in the bearing. If I give it a slight jostle, something moves around inside. For my replacement piece i decided upon a new cardone optispark

Got the Cardone opti installed and let the car heat up in the drive way, this would previously cause a failure. Car heated up and ran fine, Good news. Decided it was time to take the car for a test ride, Bad news. All I can say is CAR-DONE!

I Was driving about 35-40 mph than WOT, engine spun up and proceeded to fall on its face. Car didn't stall but tried to. It was running OK after for about 3 miles. however, when I arrived at my destination and shut the engine off I was unable to restart it. Not even the slightest sputter. Towed it home and measured the ac voltage at the "B" terminal of the connector on the ICM, nothing.

So I think that I've shredded something inside Cardone optispark. Good thing its got a warranty. It's been a while since I opened an opti up but with no signal coming from the opti, what would be the likely failure mode?

Should I waste my time and get another cardone or should I tell them to shove it and refund my money. My options at this point are:

-try another cardone

-refund my money and get an delco reman

-refund my money and get an MSD optispark

-or drive my car into a tree and collect insurance. (hard to do without fixing it first)

I am really curious about the MSD opti though. I have read a lot of bad things about it. however, i realize this is the internet and people are more likely to bitch about something give positive feedback.

Comments, questions, feedback?
Old 07-30-2012, 08:23 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Anything done to the engine? Specifically the cam? Reason being is if it's an aftermarket cam I'm wondering if the cam's centering hole is slightly off causing the center shaft on the opti to wobble...
Old 07-30-2012, 08:27 AM
TECH Regular

I have a less then year old delco vented opti for sale if you're interested. you'd just need an msd or new stock cap/ rotor. pm me if you're interested.

Last edited by Formula WS6; 07-30-2012 at 08:34 AM.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:24 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Anything done to the engine? Specifically the cam? Reason being is if it's an aftermarket cam I'm wondering if the cam's centering hole is slightly off causing the center shaft on the opti to wobble...
Yes I did put a cam in it. Cc503 if my memory serves me correctly. Any way to check this? I wouldn't think there would be much I could do short of installing a new cam. Should I have greased the pin on the cam?
Old 07-30-2012, 10:29 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Formula WS6
I have a less then year old delco vented opti for sale if you're interested. you'd just need an msd or new stock cap/ rotor. pm me if you're interested.
Thanks I'll keep it in mind, I'm going to see what AZ is going to do for me
Old 07-30-2012, 10:48 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by losixfor
Yes I did put a cam in it. Cc503 if my memory serves me correctly. Any way to check this? I wouldn't think there would be much I could do short of installing a new cam. Should I have greased the pin on the cam?
Only way to check if it's true is to remove the cam and have it spun.
Originally Posted by losixfor
Thanks I'll keep it in mind, I'm going to see what AZ is going to do for me
Last Autozone opti I bought I immediately returned before leaving the store. Spun it and it sounded like the rotor was scraping on everything it could. Good luck.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will find a Cardone Opti that works well once every 1000 years under a blue moon while your Jewish stepmother sings Native American songs. And the ones that do work well, don't work as well as a Delco. Ask me how I know.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Only way to check if it's true is to remove the cam and have it spun.
I think I will inspect the part of the opti that the pin goes to on my original. I will take some photos maybe we can tell if there was something out of line.

meanwhile I called AZ I'm going to return my cardone and go with the MSD. They don't carry a Delco one so this is my best option thus far.

I should have just done a 24x conversion. Just recently find out about this. Any links to any conversions? Looking at the EFI connection site it would cost a pretty penny and my 95 trans electronics wouldn't work. If any one knows of any good sites, I like to read
Old 07-31-2012, 03:11 AM

Should look into these guys:
Bailey
Old 07-31-2012, 08:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

"ALL" Optis are a hit and miss, Yes even AC Delco, I purchased one from a chevy dealer, installed it, and the car would not start, pulled it off, took it apart and the the rotor spline was pressed in 180* out. If you do a poll, people have had from good to bad luck with MSD, Dyna Spark, Chandler ect...
Old 07-31-2012, 08:23 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by moehorsepower
"ALL" Optis are a hit and miss, Yes even AC Delco, I purchased one from a chevy dealer, installed it, and the car would not start, pulled it off, took it apart and the the rotor spline was pressed in 180* out. If you do a poll, people have had from good to bad luck with MSD, Dyna Spark, Chandler ect...
That's probably true, but as a percentage of optis installed, I would be willing the bet there are far fewer issues with AC Delco/Delphi units.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by BTC
That's probably true, but as a percentage of optis installed, I would be willing the bet there are far fewer issues with AC Delco/Delphi units.
You're probably right, it seems like back in the day for what ever reason, the GM optis lasted a long time, Friend of mine use to rev his to 7000 grand and his opti lasted until he sold the car and it had 100,000 miles. Don't know if it because like every other company that either went to cheaper parts or have them built in a foreign nation..
Old 07-31-2012, 11:23 AM
Teching In

Thanks for all the responses guys, I realize i'm beating a dead horse bring up the opti subjuct. I pulled the cardone last night, only took me 45 min! I guess once you do something two or three times you get used to it! I think I'll put the MSD in and take it easy for a while.

One question I have is, the harness that came with the cardone did not plug into my engine harness. Whats up with that?

What other conversions are out there like the 24x? anyone attempt this on their own?
Old 07-31-2012, 01:14 PM
Staging Lane

There is a difference between the vented and unvented harness I believe.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:41 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1Bad93Z
There is a difference between the vented and unvented harness I believe.
That's what I figured, but it was a vented opti. Perhaps they sent the wrong harness. Anyway that pile was returned and I now have the MSD opti installed.

The instructions wanted you to take the cover off to install it. I couldn't figure out why so I just bolted it on. One thing I did notice that there was the a very small amount of "slop" in the bearing of the part that mates to the cam. It was a small movement in the axial direction only. Not sure if it is supposed to be this way or not. Wasn't near as much as my worn Delco unit.

Car has not broke down on me yet, but it's been less than 24hr. At first it seemed to take a little longer to start, but it fired right up this morning. The car runs really well, but sometimes it sounds like I might have the slightest miss while driving (not accelerating)

Quick Reply: Optispark Woes