Rv owners, 5th wheel or diesel pusher?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 10:09 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rv owners, 5th wheel or diesel pusher?

Im working in the oilfield industry in Ok 18-20 hr days 5 days a week and my company paid housing is temporary. Im not going to rent #1 bc its throwing away money,#2 rent is outrageous bc of it being a college town and being an oil town. my question is this. I have a reasonable budget (monthly) and am debating between a decent 5th wheel (which I can pull with the F250 very easily) or a decent 05-07 diesel pusher class a rv. i know I can get more buck if i get a 2 year old 5th wheel but Im concerned with the resale value being absolutely horrible. If i get a decent used diesel pusher its about double in price but they hold resale value way better. This will cost me more monthly by about $200 bucks versus the 5th wheel which falls on its face and is a bit harder to sale. Need to figure something out within the next 2-3 weeks so ALL advice and opinions (related to topic) is greatly appreciated thanks, I'll be checking this thread periodically throughout the day. Thanks

Mario
Old 07-30-2012, 11:31 AM
11 Second Club

I'm in the construction business and I'm gona vote 5th wheel... but my question is how long are you going to plan on living out of a trailer/motor home?
Old 07-30-2012, 12:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ask these guys:

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php
Old 07-30-2012, 12:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

I do not live out of my RV but it is nice to have. I love the RV when I go to the track because of the A/C and plenty of room for everyone.

Some like the 5th wheel is easier to pull around, set up and drive off in your truck if needed
Old 07-30-2012, 01:49 PM
Launching!

Much appreciated, I will be living in it on my off days and the few hours I get to work out shower and sleep lol. I'm thinking it's going to be for a minimal of 2-3 years at the very least tho.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a class A gas powered motorhome. If you already have a diesel truck for pulling, I'd recommend a 5th wheel. When we go to camp sites, we are pretty much stuck there. With a 5th wheel, you can adventure off in your truck if needed. Plus, a class a motorhome has an engine, transmission, extra battery, power steering pump, alternator, waterpump, fuel system, exhaust system, etc you have to maintain and/or worry about.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:09 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by mariojmoe
Much appreciated, I will be living in it on my off days and the few hours I get to work out shower and sleep lol. I'm thinking it's going to be for a minimal of 2-3 years at the very least tho.
the best thing for you is to get you a fifth wheel... ive owned an rv ever since ive been on the road working construction and its the best way to go about living when your away from home... also like others have said you can just unhook the trailer and drive wherever you want.... a motor home would suck if you were gona be in one spot for a any length of time.... they are more for traveling like the "SNOWBIRDS" lol

also it takes me about 30 minutes to hook up to mine and get gone when its time to drag up a job to go to another LOL
Old 07-30-2012, 07:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you do go the motor home route, get a beater car and a car dolly to pull it around. When we take our motorhome on Vacation thats what I'm going to do.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:29 PM
Launching!

I looked at a few 5th wheels today and I'm pretty sure I'm going that route. Found a few under my range that has most of what I'm looking for. The hit i'll take for depreciation is less than higher monthly pmt and upkeep/maintenance on a diesel pusher. As always all advice is much appreciated. I'll keep everyone updated on purchase and pics.

Thanks
Old 07-30-2012, 08:55 PM
Staging Lane

I work in the oil field and I prefer the 5th wheel. It's easier for me to hook up to it and be gone. Plus if you had a RV you would have to tow something behind it. Something like a jeep or anything that'll handle those rough lease roads.

Quick Reply: Rv owners, 5th wheel or diesel pusher?