Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Bottoming Out My Shocks....

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 01:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bottoming Out My Shocks....

I got my car out of the shop finally after a long suspension rebuild, but of course I ran into a few snags, but the one that bothers me the most is the rear suspension bottoming out the shocks.

The rear is setup with 150# 10" coil springs with jack bolts, MWC Fab9, and Edelbrock IAS rear shocks. I'm running 17x11s with 315/35 Nitto NT555 tires and at the center of the wheel arch I measure 26 3/8". But even going over smaller dips in the road I bottom out the rear shocks. I looked everything over under the car and nothing else is hitting.

Now I have seen a handful of guys that have their cars lower than mine and are still running stock style shocks. I am considering ordering new shocks that are shorter, but how can the other guys get away with it? Right now I have about 1" of travel before it bottoms out. I'm going to get a set of 175# springs on Friday and try them out, but that still doesn't solve the 1" of travel that I have.

How are the other guys getting away with it?
Old 07-31-2012, 02:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Do you not have your rear bumpstops?
Old 07-31-2012, 02:28 PM
TECH Addict

first thing I would do is check if you have the bumpstop spacers, and if you do remove them

what are you feeling exactly that you don't like? is it slamming into the bumpstops? harsh ride? I don't know much about those shocks but are they a decent match for those springs and that big heavy rear?

I don't have much more travel than that and my car rides decently, the bumpstops are a functional part of the suspension, hitting them shouldn't be dreadful
Old 07-31-2012, 03:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The top of the torque arm is hitting the body brace. Look behind the rear seatback area under the car, there is a square tube brace just above the tunnel entrance. The contact area will be very small and hard to spot unless you know to look for it.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Kevin97ss
The top of the torque arm is hitting the body brace. Look behind the rear seatback area under the car, there is a square tube brace just above the tunnel entrance. The contact area will be very small and hard to spot unless you know to look for it.
Nope not hitting, it may be touching, but not enough to take the powdercoating off the TA. I'm planning on trimming it this weekend when I put it on the lift to check all the bolts and swap in some heavier springs out back.

I don't have my bumpstops, they had to go to clear the 315s, but I have a set that are sitting on my counter that will go on the rear shocks (they didn't come in time for the maiden voyage).
Old 08-01-2012, 12:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 218 Likes on 178 Posts

as STIFF as those IAS shocks are i am surprised you are bottoming out
Old 08-01-2012, 01:00 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
as STIFF as those IAS shocks are i am surprised you are bottoming out
HAHA yeah I know, but my car is low, not quite slammed, but its low.

Here's a pic before the rear springs settled, its about 1/4-3/8" lower in the rear now. Right after the alignment was finished and I was getting ready to put on a new alt. belt, I lost it on the first drive.

Pic the night before the alignment

Old 08-01-2012, 07:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Turnin20s
Nope not hitting, it may be touching, but not enough to take the powdercoating off the TA. I'm planning on trimming it this weekend when I put it on the lift to check all the bolts and swap in some heavier springs out back.

I don't have my bumpstops, they had to go to clear the 315s, but I have a set that are sitting on my counter that will go on the rear shocks (they didn't come in time for the maiden voyage).
Actually its not the tube that touches its the jam nut. The witness mark will be small but it sounds like Thor is having a tantrum.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Kevin97ss
Actually its not the tube that touches its the jam nut. The witness mark will be small but it sounds like Thor is having a tantrum.
HAHAHAHA thats some funny **** right there.

I don't really have time during the week to get anything done to my car, when I get home my neighbors are asleep and before work I have little time. This weekend I'll put her on the lift and check it out, and trim the brace for more clearance, add the stiffer rear springs, and add bumpstops to the shocks.

Thanks for the response
Old 08-02-2012, 01:13 AM
TECH Addict

Took the car out for a spin before work today (about 30 miles) and didn't bottom the rear once. I guess it's beating itself into shape haha, I'm going to put it on the lift and notch out the rear seat brace and add the bumpstops for a little insurance. Just feels good to get to drive it again, it's been quite a while
Old 08-05-2012, 09:52 PM
Staging Lane

The car sits real nice, man. That's the stance I'm aiming for. Have you thought about doing the heater hose mod for your rear end that way you don't have to add the bumpstops?
Old 08-06-2012, 01:21 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks man, and I don't have a stock spring setup in the rear anymore.

Its setup with a "weight jack bolt" and 2.5" ID 10" tall 150# springs. I have another set of 175# springs, but haven't tried them yet. I would like to see the rear come down just a touch, but its just not possible with the MWC rear axle and I definitely don't want it to sit any higher

On a side note I put the car on the lift and it is the jam nut on the rear seat brace. I didn't feel like cutting on the car today, but I did put some poly bumpstops on my shocks and it really softened the blow. It still needs to be trimmed, but I just didn't have time today.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Are you sure you were actually bottoming out on the shocks?
Old 08-06-2012, 12:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by z28bryan
Are you sure you were actually bottoming out on the shocks?
Read the above post
Old 08-06-2012, 02:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Sorry I'm a little slow. So it was this then?

Old 08-06-2012, 04:28 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Do u have a link to the bumpstops u bought to put on your shocks? My bumstops are gone as well and i want to lower my car
Old 08-07-2012, 12:48 AM
TECH Addict

Look up energy suspension or prothane bumpstops. I bought them at Autozone for ~$6. They are 1 3/16" tall. I cut them in half and slid them over the shock rod and put the boot back on.

I am still hitting the torque arm jam nut on the rear seat brace, but the bumpstops cut the harshness at least 50%. Now instead of it sounding like Thor is having a tantrum back there it just sounds like hes stomping his feet. I will trim the rear seat brace when I have the time. I'm probably going to be changing the gas tank and will trim it when I have everything removed for that project.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Its setup with a "weight jack bolt" and 2.5" ID 10" tall 150# springs. I have another set of 175# springs, but haven't tried them yet. I would like to see the rear come down just a touch, but its just not possible with the MWC rear axle and I definitely don't want it to sit any higher

On a side note I put the car on the lift and it is the jam nut on the rear seat brace. I didn't feel like cutting on the car today, but I did put some poly bumpstops on my shocks and it really softened the blow. It still needs to be trimmed, but I just didn't have time today.
May want to consider upping the spring rate at that ride height; even beyond the 175#ounders. My ride sits 27 inches in the rear with a 25.7in tall tire, I'm using 185# springs in the rear along with SLP jounce spacers and z/28 factory stops and still the MWC TA will hit on occasion. While installing the 9in I put the car on a diet, went from 3800 to 3575 full tank w/ 270lb me. It started to rise like a teenager in victoria secret. After driving it a bit I'm happy it gained some more travel...dosen't look as nice but cutting up the car is off the table...at least for now. May consider a poly bump stop first.

BTW, what spring rate are you using for the front?
Old 08-07-2012, 01:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I am still hitting the torque arm jam nut on the rear seat brace, but the bumpstops cut the harshness at least 50%. Now instead of it sounding like Thor is having a tantrum back there it just sounds like hes stomping his feet. I will trim the rear seat brace when I have the time. I'm probably going to be changing the gas tank and will trim it when I have everything removed for that project.
LOL...Thor is getting lazy...hammer...too...heavy...but...must...make... NOISE!
Old 08-07-2012, 01:41 AM
TECH Addict

^^^HAHA now that's funny.

My car went on a diet too, no more rear seat, no abs, no airbags, single exhaust instead of my duals, lighter fixed seats, relocated alt & power steering pump (no more big bracket), as well as some more things I'm sure I'm forgetting. I have to put it on the scale and see where I'm sitting.

I have 650# front springs IIRC, the rear feels just a little soft compared to the front, but not too soft. I have an adjustable Hellwig hollow rear sway bar set in the middle position, maybe that has something to do with it.

Quick Reply: Bottoming Out My Shocks....