Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Vortech Camaro vs Kenne Bell Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 05:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vortech Camaro vs Kenne Bell Cobra

This past friday my girl friend was going out with her friends and I got the "ok" to go cruz with my friends. We left my house around 8pm and set out looking for some good street racing. Didn't really find much for a few hours. Around 10pm we found a bunch of Suburas out. I raced a black WRX and pretty much mudred him from a stop light.

Then I raced a old school Turbo Legacy. This dude was cruzing next to me for a while. A few stop lights later he starts to brake boost and take off. After a few times of doing this I thought I should play. So I was in second, with my window down, listening to him brake boost and watching the front of his car. As soon as he comes off the brakes and starts to take off I hit it, and pull about 3-4 cars before I'm done with second gear. He comes up next to me at the next light with a huge smile and gives me a thumbs up

So after this race me and my friend Nick stop at the local spot (Sams Club parking lot lol) and just chilled for a while. By now its around 1am and we were about to roll home. Then four WRX's come rolling into the parking lot folllowed by a black Cobra. At this point I was pretty excited that I might get in a good race. After the guy parked I strolled over to his car and was just looking it over.

I tell my friends in a joking manner as I'm looking at his aftermarket heat exchanger "if this thing has a Kenne Bell on it hes going to rape me"

The guy comes walking up and I ask him if I could take a look at his car. He was more then happy to pop his hood and show me the car. And what do you know...it has a Kenne Bell haha. He had only owned the car for a week and really didn't know to much about it. At this point I knew I was going to get rapped (huge Kenne Bell under the hood).

He then asked "what Camaro is yours, the red one or the black one?".
Me:"The black one".
Cobra guy:"What done to it?"
Me:"Just a Vortech Supercharger."
Cobra guy:"Haha just a supercharger. Can I check it out?"

We then walk over to my car and I let him check it out. To my surpise he wanted to make some runs. His buddy states "this car would probably be better then that EVO you raced".

Me:"What was done to the EVO?"
Cobra guy:"The owner just said it was on 32psi. I pulled him about 5 cars on the top end".

At this point I was 100% sure he was going to rape me in the *** with no lube, but I was still pumped to run him. We head out on the interstate and my buddy Nick and Josh followed in Nick's Camaro.

My car:
1999 Z28 M6
Vortech G-Trim 5psi
38# injectors
Dynoed at 393wrhp 387rwtq
No passenger

2003-2004 Cobra
2.? L Kenne Bell (owner did not know the size, he thought maybe it was a 2.6L)
2.9 upper pulley
10-11psi (according to the current owner)
SCT MAF
Unknown brand catback (loud)
either a stock tune or a conservitive tune (last owner uploaded it before trading the car in)
One Passenger

Chase car
2002 Z28 M6
BBK headers & ORY
SLP lid
MadZ28 tuned
One passenger

First raced I missed 4th. By the last race I had almost no clutch pedal left, guess I know what my next upgrade is The first few races the camera car tried to keep up, but the last race he just stayed back.

The races were a ton of fun. Once the Cobra gets a proper tune he will blow my doors off! We all thought the Cobra was going to be faster then that. After the races we talked for a few minutes and he said "damn your car is fast as hell". I was thinking that about his car...and its not even tuned properly

Last edited by LT1RAY; 08-06-2012 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Video
Old 08-06-2012, 06:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

You guys know you can race after the turns right?
Old 08-06-2012, 06:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A cobra on 11psi is beyond inefficient. I mean that is awful. I imagine it wouldn't run much better than a bolt on car. I surprised you didn't rip him a new one. I know your car is a simple set up so I'm not knocking it.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:09 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by flattusmaximus78
A cobra on 11psi is beyond inefficient. I mean that is awful. I imagine it wouldn't run much better than a bolt on car. I surprised you didn't rip him a new one. I know your car is a simple set up so I'm not knocking it.
Even a small KB 11psi is looking at 480rwhp minimum. Lot more power than the OP.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:15 PM
Teching In

If I'm not mistaken a KB 2.6 with that size pulley should produce way more boost than that
Old 08-06-2012, 06:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 59 Likes on 27 Posts

How does a supercharged ls1 make 393 wheel? My friends old ls1 with a vortech on 5 psi made 440 wheel with the hand held tuner and stock cat back.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:24 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RON 95ZR1
If I'm not mistaken a KB 2.6 with that size pulley should produce way more boost than that
Kinda confused me too.. 2.9 is a very small pulley.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Op, why only 5psi? That not even hardly worth hauling the blower around for it.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:29 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by raymond mckinney
How does a supercharged ls1 make 393 wheel? My friends old ls1 with a vortech on 5 psi made 440 wheel with the hand held tuner and stock cat back.
What trim was your friend running? The OP has a G-trim, that's a very small blower. Assuming he doesn't have all the supporting mods like LT's, P/P TB etc. that number seems about right.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:50 PM
10 Second Club

Decent races. Bumping your boost up to around 8-9psi with full exhaust will give you a good jump in power.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:09 PM
Staging Lane

It's like visiting Pike Place Market in Seattle where they throw the salmon from vendor to vendor except this thread smells even worse... "think we need a bigger boat"
Old 08-06-2012, 08:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Stock tune with bigger supercharger, and more boost.....

Sounds like a blown engine to me..

Nix
Old 08-06-2012, 09:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Op, why only 5psi? That not even hardly worth hauling the blower around for it.
You've asked this question before. So maybe I should explain it in a different way. Boost is a reference to resistance. I don't why you keep saying only 5psi. That number really means nothing. And actually my car doesn't even make a full 5psi. If I were to put LT's on it, it would make around 3 psi. It all has to do with VE. I have a friend who has a SS with a Vortech SI RMCR low mount kit that’s on 6psi. It makes low 500's on the stock short block and on the biggest pulley they could fit on the head unit without running into clearance issues.

Originally Posted by LT/LS Guy
What trim was your friend running? The OP has a G-trim, that's a very small blower. Assuming he doesn't have all the supporting mods like LT's, P/P TB etc. that number seems about right.
Very small is right. And yes no supporting mods besides fuel.

Originally Posted by RON 95ZR1
It should. Like I said, he didn't know what size KB it was. He didn't know even know it had a 2.9 pulley on it until I pointed it out. I'm not sure of the lower pulley size either.

Originally Posted by 2SSARME
Even a small KB 11psi is looking at 480rwhp minimum. Lot more power than the OP.
Did you read the tune part? Or the part where he just bought the car? Or notice the picture with the temp tags still on it...The cars not tuned man. He should have put bus lengths on me, I agree. If you listen in the video, even my friends were confused.

Originally Posted by ZNix
Stock tune with bigger supercharger, and more boost...
Sounds like a blown engine to me...
Yep.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Packy
Decent races. Bumping your boost up to around 8-9psi with full exhaust will give you a good jump in power.
Thanks man!
Old 08-06-2012, 09:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

2003-2004 Cobra
2.? L Kenne Bell (owner did not know the size, he thought maybe it was a 2.6L)
2.9 upper pulley
10-11psi (according to the current owner)
SCT MAF
Unknown brand catback (loud)
either a stock tune or a conservitive tune (last owner uploaded it before trading the car in)
One Passenger

The things in red are the only ones that make any sense at all. That could be the slowest KB cobra in the country and Im honestly not even sure you could spin a Kenne bell slow enough on an 03 to produce that low of boost.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:13 PM
10 Second Club

Sorry man....I just can't see hauling around that blower for 390ish rwhp on 5psi. It takes about 3lb just to run the damn thing. Track times?
Old 08-06-2012, 10:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by itsslow98
The things in red are the only ones that make any sense at all. That could be the slowest KB cobra in the country and Im honestly not even sure you could spin a Kenne bell slow enough on an 03 to produce that low of boost.
I'm positive it has to do with the tune. The 10 -11psi is the number he said. Again I really dont think he knows much about his own setup. If you listen to the Cobra in the video it also sounds like hes shifting around 5500 rpms, maybe a little lower. I know when he went to start the car up it cranked for a while and then it finally lit off.

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Sorry man....I just can't see hauling around that blower for 390ish rwhp on 5psi. It takes about 3lb just to run the damn thing. Track times?
I'm also at 6500+ feet. And why not? The car drives like stock, sounds like stock, and is a total sleeper.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:52 PM
10 Second Club

I bet it does help you as a altitude compensator.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:03 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 2SSARME
You guys know you can race after the turns right?
I thought I was the only one that noticed, lol. Never understood people racing in the corners then slowing in the straights.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:32 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jthunderz28
I thought I was the only one that noticed, lol. Never understood people racing in the corners then slowing in the straights.
Well I guess their not at the HP level yet where it's dangerous.

I don't even go WOT on a corner like that. I blow my slicks off in low rpms and lose complete control.

Quick Reply: Vortech Camaro vs Kenne Bell Cobra