LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

More quick questions...EGR and AIR delete

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 06:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More quick questions...EGR and AIR delete

I'm in the process of deleting the EGR and AIR. First question: are there any tricks for removing the EGR pipe that goes from the header to the back of the intake manifold? Obviously I can't see anything back there, and I couldn't seem to get a socket or a wrench on it. Also, should I just cut the AIR pipe into multiple pieces to get it out?
Old 08-06-2012, 06:39 PM
TECH Resident

Yes you have to cut the air pipe and i used a sawzall on all the emissions junk when removing it. Found that to be the easiest.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used an electric cutter to get the pipe off. Try wiggling it as much as you can so you can get a good angle in there.

As for the bolt behind the head, i used a tiny wrench and removed it manually. It took me a bit longer, but i couldnt fit a socket in there either.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On my buddy's 94 he had a section of the pipe (the part that tangles through the accessories) that was just kind of "hanging out" before we finally took the time to get it out. After about an hour straight of wiggling it and trimming off tiny bits with a bolt-cutters we got it out...would have been easier with something smaller than a 3' long bolt-cutters, I'm sure, but it can be difficult to snake out of there.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:40 AM
TECH Regular

Ratchet wrenches are your friends
Old 08-08-2012, 08:45 PM
On The Tree

that stupid bolt that holds on the EGR pipe is giving me fits...I can get a socket on there, but can't get the ratchet on. And I can get an end wrench on there, but it only fits on in a way such that I can't turn it loose because it's snug against the pipe. And there's not enough room for a ratcheting end wrench. Is there any trick I'm missing here? And has anybody else had difficulty removing the AIR valves where they attach to the headers/exhaust manifolds? my driver's side one came off fine, but I just about gave myself a hernia trying (unsuccessfully) to remove the passenger side.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

if you have a lot of miles on it I would pull the intake and replace the intake gaskets before they go bad, and "fix" that nasty little EGR issue now that you have room. kind of like Killing 2 birds with one stone.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:32 AM
On The Tree

the intake IS off right now. So are the valve covers.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:14 PM
TECH Regular

I just unbolted passenger side motor mount jacked it up and bent the crap outta it and pulled the whole manifold with pipe out
Old 08-09-2012, 09:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 96RamAirTA
I just unbolted passenger side motor mount jacked it up and bent the crap outta it and pulled the whole manifold with pipe out
do you mean the exhaust manifold? I have longtubes
Old 08-11-2012, 11:32 PM
On The Tree

Well I managed to get the other AIR fitting removed, and I got that bolt for the EGR off using a combination of universal joints and extensions. I also got brass caps from Home Depot to put on the headers. I got a couple chunks of the AIR pipe cut out with a pipecutter, but there's not enough room for that to cut out the remaining sections of the pipe (under the crank pulley, up through the headers on the passenger side). I think I'm just going to leave that there for now until I can find somebody with a sawzall or a dremel tool that I can use.

Quick Reply: More quick questions...EGR and AIR delete