Any doctors

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 06:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any doctors

This maybe an odd question but are there any doctors in here or studying to be? I'll be getting into school this January to study medicine most likely radiology I have a few questions pertaining medical school and courses?
Old 08-06-2012, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe Chaman is a neurologist
Old 08-06-2012, 07:19 PM
On The Tree

Paging chaman!
Old 08-06-2012, 07:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Applying for CRNA school soon.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 01 WS6 6.0
This maybe an odd question but are there any doctors in here or studying to be? I'll be getting into school this January to study medicine most likely radiology I have a few questions pertaining medical school and courses?
My wife is a 3rd year pediatric resident and got her medical degree from UT Houston. What school do you plan to attend? What exactly do you want to know? I can probably help you out a bit.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:08 PM
On The Tree

Well I'm looking to see what classes I should take and any other info that could help me out. I've got medical history I was a medical assistant for a doctor in pasadena. Just looking to see what classes i should take too start off with and what kind of cost im looking at book and class wise. I'll be taking my associate degree at san jac central and not sure what university ill be going to. Im going to get my MD degree to be a radiologist seeing what kind of help is out there as far as grants, scholarships, financial aid etc...
Old 08-06-2012, 10:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Once you go through the application process and get accepted somewhere. There is plenty of financial aid availabl that covers tuition books fees living and a little extra for that four wheeled money pit we all have. I am not a student myself but my wife is a med student at UT Health science center in SA and after the ridiculous process of applying they make it very cut dry and simple when it comes to money's and offer mpooooore then you'll ever need.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

Yeah i understand, like i said the counselor ive been talking to at san jac doesnt really tell me much i told what i wanted to major in and she doesnt say much but take whatever class you like. Basicly what im saying is i dont know anything as far as the getting in and what classes to take first or what classes to take i dont want to take a class i dont need when i can be taking one that will benefit me. Thanks for the input so far
Old 08-07-2012, 05:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm no Dr, but I was pre-optometry for several years. With that said, this goes for any degree when you start one school and transfer.
Jr. colleges are good for the basics, but from experience they push classes and getting an Associates degree for their own gain.
Work with the college that you'll be getting your Bachelors degree from and see what they require and what they will transfer. If you're going to UH to get your BS, then work with their pre-med/biology department advisor to get a class plan. This is very important if you may go out of state. I don't know how many people I've talk to through the years that had to retake several classes because they didn't transfer. This can happen even moving across state. I'd go a step further and get info from your medschool of choice to see what they require to decide which bachelor's to persue. So if you wanted Baylor for your medschool, I'd contact their medschool admissions to get requirements.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:58 AM
Launching!

Yeah i understand, like i said the counselor ive been talking to at san jac doesnt really tell me much i told what i wanted to major in and she doesnt say much but take whatever class you like. Basicly what im saying is i dont know anything as far as the getting in and what classes to take first or what classes to take i dont want to take a class i dont need when i can be taking one that will benefit me. Thanks for the input so far
Talking to a counselor at San Jac is a waste of time, dont even bother with them. I wouldnt even bother getting an associates if your plan is to get into medical school.

First thing you should do is make a list of medical schools you want to go to. Look at their class profile or contact the school and see what degrees other incoming students have. Once you figure out what undergrad you want, look at the course requirements for that program at the undergrad school you plan to attend (UH, A&M, UT, etc.). Then go to San Jac and tell them what you want to do. San Jac should have a specific list (as well as the university you plan to attend) of courses that will directly transfer to your school of choice. I would ask them for it to avoid taking junk classes you dont need.

When you say financial aid, do you mean for undergrad or medical school? The difference is night and day.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:53 PM
On The Tree

Well i called the university of texas medical school, they told me to get in touch with the university i will be attending and find out what classes they require to make sure my credits will transfer. As far as the my degree she told me to it would be better to major in biology and to keep my GPA as high as possible. As far as financial aid id like to know when do i stop qualifying for it?
Old 08-07-2012, 01:03 PM
Launching!

Well i called the university of texas medical school, they told me to get in touch with the university i will be attending and find out what classes they require to make sure my credits will transfer. As far as the my degree she told me to it would be better to major in biology and to keep my GPA as high as possible. As far as financial aid id like to know when do i stop qualifying for it?
^^This. When do you STOP qualifying for financial aid? As soon as you go below 6 hours for the semester. As long as your 6 hours or above, you will always qualify for financial aid.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'll have my wife post up here tonight she has done all this and is in medschool and she's a super nerd and won't mind typing up a report for ya
Old 08-07-2012, 02:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 04Vguy
she has done all this and she's a super nerd
lol, totally agree with this.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 04Vguy
I'll have my wife post up here tonight she has done all this and is in medschool and she's a super nerd and won't mind typing up a report for ya
LOL that would be nice a good step by step to do list, what schools to look into, etc... Tell her i would appreciate it very much if she did so. Im also looking for someone to help me with some subjects im 21 been out of school for 3 years now so I need to some touching up especially on math lol
Old 08-08-2012, 07:14 AM
Launching!

^^man, after 2 engineering degrees, I don't wanna hear the word MATH ever again, catch myself working out problems in my nightmares lol.

Don't worry about being out of school for 3yrs, my best friend was in the military for 4yrs and went back to school to get his chemical engineering degree (one of the hardest) at U of H, started in 07 taking a few classes at first to get back in the mix, then increasing the load. You'll be ok. If you need help with math, let me know.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:43 PM
On The Tree

LOL^^^ yeah math has always been one of my worst subjects just cant get it down every other subject i was either honors or commended. Yeah I guess ill just need a refresher someone that will actually teach and not let me get distracted. I got this chic i use to work with a the doctors office she said she'd help me but I got a funny feeling I'm going to end up studying her
Old 08-08-2012, 11:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

ya sorry she has been swamped and i have been busy at work as well. she was actually out of school for years with military as well and got right back into her undergrad finish and now is on her way to doctorism. lol ill get with her here shortly and have her wrtie something up for ya
Old 08-09-2012, 12:17 PM
On The Tree

No rush, whenever she has time i appreciate it. I've been doing as much research as i can and calling universitys