Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

C5 18 tire rub?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 01:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 18 tire rub?

Here is what I am experiencing, I have a set of staggered C5 rims. Love them to death. I installed a 30mm spacer in the rear to give it a wider stance so at about 45 miles per hour I hit a bump with new Eagle F1'S the tire went up in the wheel well and was cut on the outside. I smelled rubber pulled over the car jacked it up and checked no rubbing on the inside but the out side was cut all the way round some up into the tread of the tire. Afraid to drive on it anymore.

Before I bought the car it was hit in the driver rear quarter which is where I am having the trouble, I did all the body work got her road worthy. I am not sure how much that wreck effected the rear suspension but something is going on here. I feel it might be the LCA's and the Panhead bar but im not sure. there are bump stops but im not sure if they are helping the situation.

Tire sizes are 245/45/17 - 275/40/18 which are stock tires size on a C5 rim. Is there some kind of mod that I have to do for the proper fit on the 4TH gen Camaro I was under the impression that they would work. I have seen countless cars run the staggered rims. Any help would be much appreciated.

Car also seems to sit lower on the drivers side than the passenger side.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

30mm spacer is pretty big. You probably cut the tire on the fender flange....which you can roll to avoid future rubber carvage.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

I ripped up my passenger side rear tire on a staggered setup, 275/40r18 on my old 2000 Camaro. Got all kinds of marks on the outside of that tire, and it seemed to sit lower. Turned out to be a bushing was pushed out of the LCA and it was bottoming out on everything. I replaced the LCAs and... perfect Good luck!
Old 08-10-2012, 11:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Are you sure its a 30 mm spacer? You mean 3mm? I'd think 30 mm or 3 cm would require it to be a wheel adapter rather than a spacer.

One thing for sure is those tires are taller than stock Camaro tires. 275/40/17 is stock, so 275/40/18 is going to be a bit taller.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:19 PM
TECH Resident

I have the same wheels and I really don't like how they're not even with the fender. I was gona throw some spacers on but now I'm scared to after reading this. Anyone have any recommendations so I don't have the same problem hes having?
Old 08-10-2012, 09:00 PM
12 Second Club

I run a 295/35/18 on a factory c5 rear wheel with no spacer it does sit a little close to the inner fender well tho i took the bump stops out and did some minor bfh'n and it clears but just barely. Been runnin em like that for a couple months with no problems but I would like to get about a 3/8 spacer to make it look a little better
Old 08-10-2012, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

i had the same problem but i was running 315/40/18 on the rear and they were rubbing pretty bad when i hit bumps. ended up rolling the fender(someone lent me the tool) and it did wonders
Old 08-12-2012, 11:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by nomasterase
I run a 295/35/18 on a factory c5 rear wheel with no spacer it does sit a little close to the inner fender well tho i took the bump stops out and did some minor bfh'n and it clears but just barely. Been runnin em like that for a couple months with no problems but I would like to get about a 3/8 spacer to make it look a little better
i was running a 1/4" spacer with my c5 z06's and yes it made the back end look meaner BUT it helped me eat up both wheel bearings.
when you run spacers your making the wheel bearings ride at an angle instead of straight up and down, that's why it's good to pick the correct offset to keep the riding dynamiclly perfect. if you are going to run the wrong offset don't run spacers and your bearings wont go out as fast and if it's lowered just find where the wheel is riding the inside fender-well and beat it in. thats what i did and once i replaced my wheel bearings, axles and pulled off the spacers i took it for a test drive and it rode smooth except for the rub, so i beat the fender in and did another road-test. the car road smooth for having HD bilstiens and the eibach prokit on it and i fell in love with driving the car again and cornering was better than before. not sure why i never had to roll the fenders but i never had that issue

Last edited by King Nothing; 08-15-2012 at 02:18 PM.

Quick Reply: C5 18 tire rub?