Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

500whp build help

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 11:15 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 500whp build help

Hey guys....so i have been reading and reading about parts and what people have been using for their N/A ls1 builds and i am stumped as to what parts i should buy because there are many different routes to go.

i am looking to have roughly 500-550 whp but i want to stay N/A and i would like to rev fairly high. i currently have 2 1999 ls1 long blocks from corvettes and they both need a rebuild so i can basiclly use what ever parts i want.

i am curious if i should go the fully forged way or stock crank forged rods and pistons or none of the above and should i stroke it out to 383 or higher or should i leave it at 347?

another thing that is givving me issues is figuring out what heads i should use? i am going to be running a FAST intake and i already have the drivetrain for the build so thats not an issue. i would like to keep this in a reasonable price range of around $6000 so hopefuly you guys can point me in the right direction so i can get some parts on order.

thanks,
Old 08-21-2012, 11:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are going to get a ton of people to tell you that you need some ridiculous heads/cam setup that will cost an arm and a leg. Check out my build thread. If I put a FAST intake on my car I would be close to, if not right at 500whp.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

You can make 500 on a stock bottom end. Doing it with stock displacement might be a challenge. It would require a large cam and some really good heads and then some rpm's to get there.

I would use the stock crank, add custom pistons that match the heads. Up the compression, soild roller cam, and valve train to match it. Theirs your 6k budget.

For heads big AFR's, Trickflows, and or Mast cath. ports.The stock bore kills your valve size choices. A Fast 102 will work but may not support the rpm's that you will need.

A 383 will make more torque and alittle more power. You need pistons and a crank to build it. I think for every 10 cid increase in displacement you gain 1-2%.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:50 AM
Teching In

what i have been leaning towards for the bottom end is a callies compstar setup and stroking it out to 383....for the price that setup looks good and strong. machine work and assembly is no problem as i am doing the assembly and my good friend owns a machine ship which will do the machine work for a very good price so i am going to save a good amount of cash there.

i am going to be beating on this motor at higher rpms constantly so i think a forged setup will be the better way to go. as for the heads could someone give me a cam/head combo that i could possibly look at buying?

thanks,
Old 08-21-2012, 12:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You said high rpms, what rpm range are you looking to be staying in most of the time?

Added displacement adds power, but a shorter stroke makes it easier to turn super high rpms.

What is the engine going in? If you have the hood clearsnce you can also look at the Edelbrock proflo xt or the Holley tall tunnel ram
Old 08-21-2012, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hatchback_180
what i have been leaning towards for the bottom end is a callies compstar setup and stroking it out to 383....for the price that setup looks good and strong. machine work and assembly is no problem as i am doing the assembly and my good friend owns a machine ship which will do the machine work for a very good price so i am going to save a good amount of cash there.

i am going to be beating on this motor at higher rpms constantly so i think a forged setup will be the better way to go. as for the heads could someone give me a cam/head combo that i could possibly look at buying?

thanks,
I ran those pieces in my old 383. I'm still running the rods in the latest one.

Mine made 480's with an auto ,Ls6 heads and a MS3. The cam was wrong, it was alltop end not enough mid range.

For heads AFR 205's or TF 215's and a nice hyd roller and you will be close.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

check Texas Speed for 383 rotating assembly.you will need some ported heads and fast intake.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:07 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Here you go. It walks you through most of what you should do.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...heads-cam.html

Quick Reply: 500whp build help