General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

What will 8,000$ buy you these days?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 03:31 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What will 8,000$ buy you these days?

Okay so i am EXTREMELY torn on what i want to do. I've already had 2 LS1's and i have been saving up for a big down payment on a C5Z. But i've been thinking alot today and it makes more since for me to just purchase another LS1 with the cash i have saved up (basically just to get me by, i'm going crazy only driving a jetta) and then keep saving up until i have enough cash to buy the Z06. I don't wanna mess with loans anymore.

My last Z28(in avatar and sig) had 140k on it and i sold it for 5200$. I have 8,000 to spend right now but don't necessarily need to spend all of that. I could probably get into an 01 or an 02 with 80kish miles for that couldn't I? I really don't see **** in the classifieds right now. So shoot me some opinions guys, i'm tired of thinking about this by myself.

Oh and, if you find any links to any decent deals (ls1 camaro's, m6 only) feel free to post. I would probably even consider an SN95 Cobra.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:30 AM
11 Second Club

Your best bet is an LS1 Camaro for 8k. The SN95 supercharged cobra's still hold pretty good value.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

id say a little more and try hard to find something super clean.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:54 AM
On The Tree

I bought my 98 Camaro w/ 68k for about that about a year and a half ago. 2 owner car w/ everything working and in good shape. Everyone on here says automatics sell for lower but I have not seen that necessarily in my area (central Texas). Hope this helps somewhat.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

I think $8,000 will buy you something you might be comfortable with in the meantime as well. Just remember to look at ads for cars right up to $10,000. Asking prices have negotiation room. You show up with $8,000 cash and you will be surprised how many $9,500 - $10,000 cars can be yours. Many owners will not let you 'walk' unless their ad says 'firm'. Don't let travel get in your way either.
I feel bad that you could not jump on that nice Corvette you talked about before. I understand the loan stuff though. It's a very personal choice.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:33 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

It's getting harder to find intermediate condition examples of these cars now; especially stock ones. What I see around my area for $8k are usually cars that I wouldn't be willing to pay more than $5-6k for. The nicer ones that have been spared winter weather are usually a bit more pricey for a lower mileage example (say, 50-80k miles), but everything around here is expensive - dealers here are still trying to get $19-24k for late model versions with 10-20k miles.

If you are willing to travel to areas where winter does not equal snow and salt, then you can get something nicer for your money.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Find a car somewhere in the US, make the seller show you tons of pics and videos etc. buy a 1 way plane ticket for a few $$$ and drive your new ride home!

I live in IN, and when i went on vacation in Florida I saw clean F-bodys on craigslist for 6-7k
Old 08-22-2012, 11:45 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
It's getting harder to find intermediate condition examples of these cars now; especially stock ones. What I see around my area for $8k are usually cars that I wouldn't be willing to pay more than $5-6k for. The nicer ones that have been spared winter weather are usually a bit more pricey for a lower mileage example (say, 50-80k miles), but everything around here is expensive - dealers here are still trying to get $19-24k for late model versions with 10-20k miles.

If you are willing to travel to areas where winter does not equal snow and salt, then you can get something nicer for your money.
I would definitely not be against traveling (under 300 miles). But as pointed above, the asking price and what it would actually take to sell are two different things. People are asking wayyyy too much for these cars IMO.

Too bad 8k still can't quite buy you a higher mileage C5

It looks like you could get a somewhat decent C4 for that money, but i'm not ready to spend that much money on that old of technology i don't think. Plus that interior makes me barf. We had good taste in music in the 90's, not so much interiors.

Last edited by slikrider20; 08-22-2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Searchtempest.com searches every Craigslist in the country.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:50 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Ellsworth
Find a car somewhere in the US, make the seller show you tons of pics and videos etc. buy a 1 way plane ticket for a few $$$ and drive your new ride home!

I live in IN, and when i went on vacation in Florida I saw clean F-bodys on craigslist for 6-7k
I would be MUCH more comfortable finding something somewhat close that i could walk away from if i have to. Flying across the country and being basically obligated to buy a car isn't an option for me. I don't care how good the pics or video's are, i gotta drive that thing. No sense in putting myself in a situation i'm uncomfortable with, especially when spending this kind of money.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:52 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by My6speedZ
Searchtempest.com searches every Craigslist in the country.
I've used it, however CL is turning into a Joke anymore with all the scams and the duplicate posts, especially by the dealers. There was a car on CL last night that was literally listed 45 times in a row.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

i would say, keep an eye on the classfields on here. I see many good deals from time to time. Most of all, be patient!
Old 08-22-2012, 12:55 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by slikrider20
I would definitely not be against traveling (under 300 miles).
Unfortunately for me, even 300 miles doesn't get me out of the rust belt at all. So my options are to either pay the premium for local cars that are stored in the winters, or I'd have to travel a very long distance.

I would be MUCH more comfortable finding something somewhat close that i could walk away from if i have to. Flying across the country and being basically obligated to buy a car isn't an option for me. I don't care how good the pics or video's are, i gotta drive that thing. No sense in putting myself in a situation i'm uncomfortable with, especially when spending this kind of money.
I agree. Pics and vids will never tell the full story behind a car, you really need to see them in person to appreciate how good or bad they actually are. I agree that I wouldn't want to be 100% commited before ever seeing the car, nor would I ever do the whole one-way flight thing. I know some people do this and it turns out OK but it's just not for me, as I'm pretty picky about what I want. I know someone that did this 4 times, and the cars that showed up were never quite as nice as what the pics implied.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:02 PM
TECH Resident

Especially on a multi owner higher mileage LS1 that's probably been owned by younger people. Now if it were my $22k Z06 with 1 or 2 adult owners i'd probably be more willing to fly across the country.

It just seems odd to be in this situation. I've sold 2 Ls1's and never had much luck getting rid of them because EVERYONE was selling them and they were selling them cheap. Looking back i felt like i gave both of my cars away. First one was a 2000 mystic teal Z28, i was the second owner and it had 80k on it. Sold it for $6,500. Took about a year too. Just doesn't seem to be the case anymore for whatever reason.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:10 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by black_phoenix
i would say, keep an eye on the classfields on here. I see many good deals from time to time. Most of all, be patient!
Being patient is not something i'm good at. The whole point of me buying this LS1 is because i'm not patient. lol

I have wet dreams about owning a C5Z, i almost made it reality. But i shall wait.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used it, however CL is turning into a Joke anymore with all the scams and the duplicate posts, especially by the dealers. There was a car on CL last night that was literally listed 45 times in a row.
Put 1 dollar in the minimal price box and all the dealer listings will not show up.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:25 PM
TECH Resident

Well, yeah, the dealer listings who don't have a price........i have 4k for the minimum now
Old 08-22-2012, 03:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

IMO CL is one of the worst places to look and I don't even bother. Never have. Some people say that ebay cars are crap, well CL cars are much lower than that. If owners are serious about selling a car, even a low to mid-priced car, they will cough up a lousy $35 and place an ad in Autotrader or wherever they choose. Free means cheap in my book, and can indicate what the current owner thinks about his ride. I'm extremely serious about cars and their sales. CL is generally a joke to serious car people. Are there exceptions to this rule? Definitely, but why bother with all the BS and scams, and even more safeguards than already are needed. No thanks.
Ref travelling to see a car, never fly one way unless the car has less than 10,000 miles or less and is owned by the original buyer. Even then you better have tons of pictures and serious phone time with the owner. I've travelled all over the eastern part of the US to get all sorts of nice cars. A Porsche 911, BMW, and my current SS and GT were all 500+ miles away. Every single one was misrepresented to some degree (usually minor) except the GT. This is why you have another person and car with you to head right back home, or negotiate further on the spot. If it doesn't work out, all you have lost is gas and some fast food money. So what?? What else is so important some weekend? Good luck with your search!
Old 08-22-2012, 07:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6

are they really trying to get that much! wow!
Old 08-22-2012, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I remember when I first started looking for a nice F-Body to DD early last year, 8k was about as much as I was able to spend as well. The issue I kept running into was that you were either going to get one that had 100k+, or if you were to find a car with less miles, it was either modded and ran hard or just left stock but neglected it's entire life.

Quick Reply: What will 8,000$ buy you these days?