Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gunk removal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 03:33 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gunk removal?

What's most efficiant way to remove the gunk and grime from the block area where the heads mouth up? Also need to clean the top of the pistons. Any suggestions?
Old 08-25-2012, 07:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DisasterpeaceWS6
What's most efficiant way to remove the gunk and grime from the block area where the heads mouth up?
Never seen a cylinder head mouth up, post pics.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:38 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Engine degreaser or brake cleaner for the external of the block and use water to wash it off - i always follow suite with a rag to remove any moisture around gasket areas that can be reached. If the block has been enamel coated/painted you cannot use brake cleaner as it will take the engine enamel coating right off.

Carbon buildup i normally use carb cleaner, gasoline, or seafoam on a rag. Wipe down with oil - turn the motor over a few times, and do the next. Change the oil after you're done.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by crainholio
Never seen a cylinder head mouth up, post pics.
Mount* Sorry been up all night removing engine components...
Old 08-25-2012, 02:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SS10Tech
Engine degreaser or brake cleaner for the external of the block and use water to wash it off - i always follow suite with a rag to remove any moisture around gasket areas that can be reached. If the block has been enamel coated/painted you cannot use brake cleaner as it will take the engine enamel coating right off.

Carbon buildup i normally use carb cleaner, gasoline, or seafoam on a rag. Wipe down with oil - turn the motor over a few times, and do the next. Change the oil after you're done.
Alright thanks. Whats about using brake cleaner and a air grinder with plastic abrassive pads? Will that hurt the block?
Old 08-25-2012, 02:14 PM
Launching!

Why would you need an air grinder and abrasive pads? Brake cleaner and a stiff tooth brush, a bag of rags on sale at the local hardware store, insert your favorite whistle wetting beverage, and alot of elbow grease is all you need. You may need to clean/rinse/wipe/repeat as necessary as well. Let it soak a bit if it is that hard to get off. If you still want to use a tool do not use air grinders as they are too fast of an RPM - use one of those battery powered electric drills for more control. plastic or brass is good but not steel brushes - you cant control where the bristles go when they break.
Old 08-25-2012, 02:35 PM
TECH Addict

Those 3m plastic discs on a die grinder work magic on the pistons...yellow is heavy grit and white is the finishing grit...these also work wonders for cleaning the cylinder head mating surface on the block...you can use brake cleaner it just takes longer
Old 08-25-2012, 05:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by wildcamaro
Those 3m plastic discs on a die grinder work magic on the pistons...yellow is heavy grit and white is the finishing grit...these also work wonders for cleaning the cylinder head mating surface on the block...you can use brake cleaner it just takes longer
Do you know what the grit counts are? I did a bit of looking and found nothing. I would think any heavy grit followed by polishing would cause un-even finish on the piston which could effect squish. Depending on the grit counts though it would not cause a problem.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:10 PM
TECH Addict

The discs are plastic so you can grind all day and they won't mess up aluminum...green discs are for steel only, but yellow and white are good, I usually use white just to be cautious...they aren't like the Brillo material they are plastic disc with fingers I believe they are called rolox discs. I got mine at paint and body store
Old 08-25-2012, 09:09 PM
Staging Lane

Scotch brite and break cleaner works miracles.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wildcamaro
The discs are plastic so you can grind all day and they won't mess up aluminum...green discs are for steel only, but yellow and white are good, I usually use white just to be cautious...they aren't like the Brillo material they are plastic disc with fingers I believe they are called rolox discs. I got mine at paint and body store
I just sprayed some brake cleaner on the gasket face and the pistons and used a green pltic disc. Came right off and no dmage to the block or the pistons.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SS10Tech
Why would you need an air grinder and abrasive pads? Brake cleaner and a stiff tooth brush, a bag of rags on sale at the local hardware store, insert your favorite whistle wetting beverage, and alot of elbow grease is all you need. You may need to clean/rinse/wipe/repeat as necessary as well. Let it soak a bit if it is that hard to get off. If you still want to use a tool do not use air grinders as they are too fast of an RPM - use one of those battery powered electric drills for more control. plastic or brass is good but not steel brushes - you cant control where the bristles go when they break.
Because I am paying per hour to use the tools/lift/shop so I need to finish asap. They only open 8 hours a day. Not like my garage where its 24/7
Old 08-25-2012, 10:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

409 is a really good cleaner and it's cheap. I use it on motorcycle frames all the time.