General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Dexcool

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 05:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dexcool

Hey guys, Recently I opened up the cap for the engine coolant reservoir tank and there was this orange sludge **** on the dipstick. At first there was slightly more on it but i wiped it off ( should have left it on for the picture ) anyways, theres lots of rad fluid in the rad (dexcool) but I am just concerned and wondering whats going on here.. Car is a 2000 T/A with 30000 Miles.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:18 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

That can happen with Dexcool. I personally have never had any of that in 14+ years with my Trans Am. But some people do.

You could always switch to Green stuff. Just flush it real good, then use the Green.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

No one knows for sure but it is said that can happen with dexcool from not doing the proper maintenance. I say flush it out a few times.
Im on my 3rd ls1 camaro and have never had any problems with dexcool.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the coolant is rated for 5 years, you are on year 12.
Pull the battery out, undo the coolant reservoir and rinse it out with the garden hose and refill with fresh dexcool. Also blow through the rubber hose from the reservoir to the radiator neck. if you haven't done it, open the drain **** on the radiator and drain it and refill with fresh coolant. No matter what antifreeze you are using after 10 years what do you expect? It needs to be serviced.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 FMF
the coolant is rated for 5 years, you are on year 12.
Pull the battery out, undo the coolant reservoir and rinse it out with the garden hose and refill with fresh dexcool. Also blow through the rubber hose from the reservoir to the radiator neck. if you haven't done it, open the drain **** on the radiator and drain it and refill with fresh coolant. No matter what antifreeze you are using after 10 years what do you expect? It needs to be serviced.
The previous owner has had it serviced, but I will do a flush just to be on the safe side...God knows how old it is.

Quick Reply: Dexcool