LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Possibly getting an LS4 Monte

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possibly getting an LS4 Monte

I'm looking into trading in/selling this overly problematic 2006 Passat 2.0t and going american again. I require this to be a car the family can use, but it doesn't need to have four doors. I used to have an L98 Corvette with the 4+3 Doug Nash tranny. Although that thing caused many headaches, I had so much fun messing around with it. Everything was easy to work on and that is something I miss with the current Passat I own. I can still mentally unbolt the entire front of that damn C4.

I did some minuscule research on these LS4 Impalas/Montes and concluded that the tranny is pretty shitty... That being said, they get decent gas mileage considering the displacement, and I want to own a piece of Americana (overlooking the front wheel drive system). I have read about getting a custom tranny rebuild done at a reputable shop that would possibly prevent further failures. If this is true, then that is good news.

What are your opinions on the V8 Monte Carlos? How easy/accessible are they to work on? I need something I can tinker with myself. With my current car, I can't even change the brake pads myself because it requires the use of a computer to open the caliper.

(I am also looking at the earlier SCV6 Monte Carlos as well. Are they relatively less problematic? I've also read about them having problems with the trans.)
Old 09-01-2012, 03:39 PM
Teching In

Hey, welcome too the forum! I've owned my Monte Carlo for almost 5 years now and I still love it. They're pretty easy too work on, I think. The engine bay is crowded as too be expected so if you want too do headers or something that could be a bit of a pain. Everything else is pretty straightforward. If you are looking for a bit more reliability as far as the tranny goes, the super charged montes are a better choice. If you plan on modding though you could go either way. If you want hop over on GMLS4.net and poke around there.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So long as you understand that you will be spending money on the transmission if the previous owners havent. I would go for it.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:23 PM
Staging Lane

Family car wise the GXP impala and lacrosse would be great choices especially if you want luxury GXP and lacrosse are great choices my wife loves driving my gxp
Old 09-02-2012, 09:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've owned my LS4 GXP for a touch over 5 years and 50,000 miles. And although I've worked on it a lot, the only thing that would have been maintaince related would be brakes, power steering line (recall), wipers, ISS clunk (I think there might have been a recll on that to, if not just grease it), the tranny, and I had a rattle in the dash when I first got it that drove me nuts(made a bracket out of a piece of air hose and zip tie).

Yes there is a few engineering defects with the trans. Your best bet would be to get a hold of Dave at Tripple Edge Performance, even if you have someone else do the work. Here this will help.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-perfo...e-project.html

Once the trans is upgraded, it's pretty stout.
Other than the trans it a very dependable car.

If your wanting to wrench on it your self it responds to mods well. Mid 13's with headers and a tune, or LS6 intake and tune. LS6 intake, headers, and a tune and your low 13's.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

I would probably look for a gxp if I were to get another. They just have some nice options the other cars don't get. Tap shift, big brakes, HUD, 8" wide front rims, better suspension...however I personally think the monte is the best looking
Old 09-02-2012, 12:11 PM
12 Second Club

Work the trans into the price of the car. Figure about 4k for a built trans installed. See if the dealer will meet you in the middle and knock a fee grand off the price.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:35 PM
Staging Lane

I'm going to be selling mine this week. I actually need the for doors. I think of it as my cruiser with plenty of passing power. I never beat on it our taken it to the track. Its just a really fun car to drive. My problems at 50k
Motor mounts : replaced
Water pump: replaced
Key fob 5ft range: viper 1 mile alarm
Cd changer jammed: using radio only
Tpms fail: just clear it everyday from dic
Trans so far so good no cooler either. I had a gtp that was fun too, I loved the sc whine. That had a bigger market for aftermarket and got better mpg. For me the monte is super sexy looking. Get compliments all the time.

Quick Reply: Possibly getting an LS4 Monte