Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odd balancer question

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 11:06 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd balancer question

I would love to make use of a low mount compressor but do not have the room with my current set up to run the typical low mount off of the back belt location or even to run a low drive on the main belt.

So I have been thinking about how great it would be to have a balancer that could work with my current vette accessory spacing (or close to it) driven off of the rear pulley groove and a low mount AC compressor driven off of the front grove.

I know I am not the only one to have considered this but have not seen it in other builds. Does such a thing exist? Am I missing any simple but significant technical hurdles?
If such a thing does not exist is it possible to make use of the rear groove on say a F body or Truck balancer for my main belt potentially with some minor spacing out of my current Vette placement accessories. I have been looking for a good breakdown of the measurments for these balancers comparing mounting depth, front and rear belt placement but have not found the information I want.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

First thing that comes to mind is the rear pulley is four rib and I don't know where you would get a four rib belt that long.

Why not run everything from the same belt and do that on the front grove?
Old 09-06-2012, 07:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is S&P's low mount, single belt Sanden 508 setup for a C-5 FEAD:

Old 09-28-2017, 02:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey Russ, do you have this setup that uses one belt for all accessories, including the low mount AC compressor?
Thanks
Old 09-28-2017, 03:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,025 Likes on 2,356 Posts

If you are asking about Speed and Performance's parts, they are out of business. Also, you are responding to a 5-year old post.
Old 09-28-2017, 09:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by samckitt
Hey Russ, do you have this setup that uses one belt for all accessories, including the low mount AC compressor?
Thanks
Yup, one belt on a C5 FEAD. Be aware that the (my) factory tensioner will not control the belt, I needed one that manually adjusted. Sadly as G Atsma said, S&P is gone, there may be others such as ICT Billet who do the low-mount though. If all else fails, I drew the bracket up in Coreldraw (vector prog)...
Old 09-29-2017, 06:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by G Atsma
If you are asking about Speed and Performance's parts, they are out of business. Also, you are responding to a 5-year old post.
I am aware of both. thanks
Old 09-29-2017, 07:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S10xGN
Yup, one belt on a C5 FEAD. Be aware that the (my) factory tensioner will not control the belt, I needed one that manually adjusted. Sadly as G Atsma said, S&P is gone, there may be others such as ICT Billet who do the low-mount though. If all else fails, I drew the bracket up in Coreldraw (vector prog)...
I have been trying to come up with something also, using Siemens CAD tool NX (formerly Unigraphics). I am trying to come up with something to use the smaller SD7 compressor.

Odd balancer question-w9zrisx.jpg

Why won't the OEM tensioner work? By chance, do you have any more detailed pictures of it you would share?

Thanks.
Old 09-29-2017, 09:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Stock tensioner worked fine until you turned on the A/C, that caused the belt to gyrate/jump around on the clutch pulley. A swap to a manual tensioner cured it completely. Here's the drawing for the 508 compressor bracket that is (was) used with the S&P kit. There was a thread on here a year or so back where someone was looking for a setup for the SD7...
Attached Thumbnails Odd balancer question-ac-bracket.gif  
Old 09-30-2017, 07:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I came up with something for the top that I can weld from flat steel & a tube.

Odd balancer question-1p6rsec.jpg

What's the bottom bracket look like & are the brackets for the pulleys separate or incorporated into the bottom bracket?

Thanks.
Old 09-30-2017, 11:16 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Scot, curious what mounts you have used and have you test fit the truck compressor?
Old 09-30-2017, 04:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Samckitt,
that looks like the AlanGrooveComponebts kit I have. But its mounted off the back pulley

http://www.alangrovecomponents.com/i...2R_Closeup.jpg
Old 09-30-2017, 08:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Google or search eBay for dirty dingo low mount alt. It will fit all 3 FEAD spacings and uses the small sd7b10 compressor.
Old 10-01-2017, 07:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jmd
Scot, curious what mounts you have used and have you test fit the truck compressor?
Currently I have 1" setback plates from Transdapt. No way the SD7 will fit with them without major cutting of the front crossmember. I have the Holley motor mounts as well, but they interfere with the compressor, using their bracket for Vette spacing. I have compared the truck compressor to the SD7 & it is longer than the SD7, making condition worse.
Old 10-01-2017, 07:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
Samckitt,
that looks like the AlanGrooveComponebts kit I have. But its mounted off the back pulley

http://www.alangrovecomponents.com/i...2R_Closeup.jpg
Yep, that's what I based the design off of. Simple enough to make & weld up. But spaced it forward more to line up with the main belt with Vette spacing.
Old 10-01-2017, 07:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dfred
Google or search eBay for dirty dingo low mount alt. It will fit all 3 FEAD spacings and uses the small sd7b10 compressor.
Interferes with Monte front crossmember & motor mounts.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

This ATI damper would solve all my problems, but I am not a celebrity like Mark Steilow, so they won't make one for me.

Old 10-01-2017, 08:52 AM
TECH Resident

Received 199 Likes on 99 Posts

Not sure if it helps, but a guy cut additional belt grooves into his balancer to get 8. https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...ke-budget.html

You could do something similar to get two sets of 6. Maybe start with a truck balancer so it is longer and pushes the forward get of grooves out further.

Old 10-01-2017, 09:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks, not sure how that would help.

Another thought I had (but don't really want to do it), is to push the vette accessories out to the truck spacing (same as the SC), & put them all on the same belt. And put AC at the truck location. Would have to convert all accessories to 8 rib pulleys, or use a 6 rib belt, which will probably slip.

Last edited by samckitt; 10-01-2017 at 12:39 PM.
Old 10-02-2017, 06:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by samckitt
...What's the bottom bracket look like & are the brackets for the pulleys separate or incorporated into the bottom bracket?

Thanks.
Scot, I don't remember and I won't be home until the 20th. I recall your thread from before about the interference, why not section the x-mem until it fits, then reinforce it? Hot-rodders are pretty good at "making things fit"...

Quick Reply: Odd balancer question