Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fluid

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 02:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default fluid

so i tried searching and couldnt come up with the exact answer. i have a FLT level 4 (4l60e) i just bought with 10K miles on it. it has fluid in it but not full because a bunch of it spilled out. im also install a SS3600 converter. the motor and trans are out of the car and i am wondering how much fluid i need to put in? i thought i read somewhere that you only check trans fluid while the car is running. well obviously i can't do that... i also read that it is VERY dangerous to run the car with low trans fluid even for a split second...

any help?
Old 09-17-2012, 06:27 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can fill it till it come out the overflow/vent tube. I pesonally would just drain it and throw a new filter in it and start with the fluid from scratch. Fill the converter before you put it on just incase you didn't already know that
Old 09-17-2012, 09:50 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Someone correct me if I am wrong....

Just before starting the car, I would add trans fluid until it reads about 1 inch above the full line, obviously with the engine NOT running. That should get you pretty close.

The trans and converter together will hold about 12 quarts. After a complete rebuild, I start by adding 10 quarts and go from there. I don't think it hurts to be 2 or 3 quarts low when you first start up.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mrvedit
Someone correct me if I am wrong....

Just before starting the car, I would add trans fluid until it reads about 1 inch above the full line, obviously with the engine NOT running. That should get you pretty close.

The trans and converter together will hold about 12 quarts. After a complete rebuild, I start by adding 10 quarts and go from there. I don't think it hurts to be 2 or 3 quarts low when you first start up.
awesome. thanks man!

the filter was just changed at the beginning of spring with only a few track passes on it so i really didn't want to replace it again if it's not needed.

how much fluid should i pre-fill the converter with?

Last edited by ldyzluvdis06; 09-17-2012 at 10:53 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by ldyzluvdis06
awesome. thanks man!

the filter was just changed at the beginning of spring with only a few track passes on it so i really didn't want to replace it again if it's not needed.

how much fluid should i pre-fill the converter with?
Try to get at least one quart in. Since you have to turn it sideways to install it, a bunch will spill out, so there is no need to fill it to the very top.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:28 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

REMEMBER TO INSERT THE CONVERTER PROPERLY IN THE TRANSMISSION.
Listen / feel the 3 clicks or it can be expensive ;-)

Posted from LS1Tech.com App for Android
Old 09-18-2012, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by BoxeDK
REMEMBER TO INSERT THE CONVERTER PROPERLY IN THE TRANSMISSION.
Listen / feel the 3 clicks or it can be expensive ;-)
Good reminder!
After you "think" the converter is fully installed, put a straight edge over the bell housing and measure the distance to the converter mounting pads. On a 4L60E for an LS engine, it should be 1" - 1-1/16". Less and the converter is not fully in. More and you may need to install washers between the converter and flexplate.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

awesome! appreciate the help guys. was also able to finally find a write up from FLT...so i should be good i think.

Quick Reply: fluid