Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Bilstein's or Qa1's... That is the question

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 11:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bilstein's or Qa1's... That is the question

I am currently in the process of purchasing new struts and springs for my car because the eibach sport line springs and sensacrap shocks aren't cutting it for me . I was about to purchase the bilsteins but noticed the qa1 struts were only $30 more and am curious if the extra money will be worth it . I will be replacing both strut mounts and upper control arm bushings while I'm at it . And also replacing the sportlines with stock moog springs.I'm looking for a smooth ride on the road but also the option to throw some radials on and hit the track. Still undecided on what rear shocks to choose . Just looking for some opinions from personal experience. Anything else I should knock out while I'm at it ?
Old 09-28-2012, 01:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bilsteins are for handling, QA1s for drag. Bilsteins are going to be better for a car that's driven on the street regularly.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:12 AM
TECH Resident

im in the situation you are.
i considered the qa1s on all corners
im actually thinking about going koni singles up front and strange 24 way in the back tho because the prices are pretty good and its the best of both worlds
Old 09-28-2012, 01:48 AM
11 Second Club

I will be pulling a pair of QA1 rear single adjusting in a few days from my 2000 SS
( install Afco double adjusting) . The QA1 have about 4-5 k miles on them, they are scuffed up on the out side because I had install a dust cover on them and it rubbed the out side of them, also will include a set of home made lower relocating brackets for lower mounts which will lower the lower mount 1 1/2 " and rotate the mounting point 90 deg, all rubber mounting parts perfect.
take 160.00 for pair shipped in the lower states, if buyer is close will install free.
Johnny
Old 09-28-2012, 09:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Jadedbird
im in the situation you are.
i considered the qa1s on all corners
im actually thinking about going koni singles up front and strange 24 way in the back tho because the prices are pretty good and its the best of both worlds
Not sure where you are getting this logic from, but that couldn't be further from the truth. The back of the car will not ride well, while feeling unstable while the front of the car isn't going to transfer weight quickly. You don't mix and match like that, you end up with a setup that isn't good at anything.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:59 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jw12dj
I am currently in the process of purchasing new struts and springs for my car because the eibach sport line springs and sensacrap shocks aren't cutting it for me . I was about to purchase the bilsteins but noticed the qa1 struts were only $30 more and am curious if the extra money will be worth it . I will be replacing both strut mounts and upper control arm bushings while I'm at it . And also replacing the sportlines with stock moog springs.I'm looking for a smooth ride on the road but also the option to throw some radials on and hit the track. Still undecided on what rear shocks to choose . Just looking for some opinions from personal experience. Anything else I should knock out while I'm at it ?
It really depends on what kind of driving you want to concentrate on the most. From what you are saying the car seems that is mainly a daily driver and if that is the case I would stick to the Bilstein shocks since they are (IMHO) the best shock for guys on a budget and will hold up to the abuse of daily driving better than the QA1s. The problem with the Bilstein shocks is that they will definitely not be the best shock for you when you go to the track especially considering that your car has a T56. It will be hard for you to find a compromise that is good at daily driving and at the track so you will need to figure out which area you are willing to give in a little bit on.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 09-28-2012, 05:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
It really depends on what kind of driving you want to concentrate on the most. From what you are saying the car seems that is mainly a daily driver and if that is the case I would stick to the Bilstein shocks since they are (IMHO) the best shock for guys on a budget and will hold up to the abuse of daily driving better than the QA1s. The problem with the Bilstein shocks is that they will definitely not be the best shock for you when you go to the track especially considering that your car has a T56. It will be hard for you to find a compromise that is good at daily driving and at the track so you will need to figure out which area you are willing to give in a little bit on.
Thanks for the input guys . For now it is my daily driver so I think I will be going with the bilsteins. Only go out to the track once maybe twice a year. My main reason for the change besides that is has always annoyed me how crappy the ride is, I just moved into a new house and my tru duals will not make it up the driveway no matter what angle I choose I will be buying the bilsteins from you guys at bmr . Will these fit directly up to the moog springs and mounts I am going to buy? I wish I had the option of different lowering springs but don't see it as an option as long as I'm in this house . Also are coil spring isolators necessary to install or replace while I've got everything apart?

Last edited by jw12dj; 09-28-2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

QA1s if you go that route are not good either(not reliable). Go Afco or Strange....

Quick Reply: Bilstein's or Qa1's... That is the question