Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ed Curtis Cam / AFR 205 Install / Results

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 09:10 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Ed Curtis Cam / AFR 205 Install / Results

After having the cam in the closet almost a year to the day, my wife finally got on my *** to get the install done. (She bought the cam, afterall)

In the course of a year, I accumulated a multitude of parts, most of what's in my sig. I was full bolt on and LS6 intake, then FAST 78, and finally FAST 92.

Custom Cam from Ed Curtis @ Flowtech Induction - 229/236 .631.631 112+2

Lightly used AFR 205's @ 59cc w/ GM MLS Gasket (w/ a Cometic @ .040 I'd be pushing it on DCR and 93)

PowerBond Pulley
LS2HD Timing set with billet gears and torrington bearing<---(nice surprise)
TSP LS6 ported oil pump, along with all my gaskets
LS2 Trays
LS7 Lifters
ARP Head Studs, Cam Bolts, Cam Retainer Plate Bolts, and Crank Pulley Bolt
BT Racing Dual Platinum springs shimmed to 1.750 install height, new valve seals and .030 shims
7.4 Comp Push Rods

I took the time to undo the motor mounts at the K and swap the oil pan gasket due to a leak, as well as a new gasket at the oil cooler block-off. What a bitch that was. Thanks for those 2 aluminum rivets on the gasket, GM. You'd have laughed seeing me trying to pull it off and saying, "Man, this is one stuck *** gasket" Anyways, a small flat tip screw driver and a tap of a hammer made short work of that. I still couldnt drop the pan all the way, so I opted to unbolt the pick-up tube and lay it in the pan.

As far as thanks go, I have to thank Ed Curtis for the great customer service when he was dealing with my wife for my surprise. A true professional every step of the way.

Aaron @ Texas Speed for going over and triple checking lists of parts for me to ensure I'm not missing anything, and great conversation in general

Thunder Racing for getting my pushrods on one day notice, and Shane for the PR measurement help

Tony Mamo @ AFR for telling me I'm a cheap *** for buying used and wanting "new" results, LOL. It's an inside joke; He knows what I mean. I definately appreciate the phone call and the emails helping with dumb questions and a bit of guidance. But mostly the tough love.

And lastly Brian Tooley. Holy ****, we must have spent 3 hours total on the phone over the course of a week. What a great guy to talk to. Such a ridiculous amount of knowledge... insane. He helped me piece a spring kit together, gave me a really cool, free way of pulling valve seals with 2 little tools I already had, and even a trick way to measure install height without a valvespring mic.

Car started right up with the Frost tune for bolt ons. Stoplights are a bitch though and it looks like I'm doing "River Dance" shifting gears, getting to a stop to hold idle.

Tune from Geoff @ EPS is scheduled for the 12th and I'm stoked. Car is parked at the dock until the 10th when I get off the rig, but I plan to update with #'s and new dyno videos that night.

http://youtu.be/5DWLWiLrjQU

That video was taken around 1am after a hell of a final day. That 16oz Coors Light I grabbed off the spoiler never tasted so good!

Last edited by dr_whigham; 10-14-2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Glad to see you finally got everything installed! Are you using stock rockers? Have any ballpark on the cam specs? Ill be keeping an eye out for some numbers after a tune and hopefully more videos..
Old 09-30-2012, 09:51 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Stock rockers with a trunion upgrade.

Cam specs are 229/236 .631.631 112+2

I guess I forgot to add that up there. Specs aren't a secret at all. The lobes are proprietary, not the specs.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sounds good, sweet music!
I look forward to seeing the results of your upcoming dyno tune.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds good! Eager to see the numbers as well.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Cool, what was your PTV clearance?
Old 10-01-2012, 11:35 AM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad you got the car back together and running, and thanks for the kind words let me know if you need help with anything else, and don't forget to send me some results!
Old 10-01-2012, 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also interested in p t v clearance.. running tsp heads milled to 59cc. Mine was around .070 on intake side..
Old 10-01-2012, 04:55 PM
On The Tree

Good to see its up and running. Should make great power. My FTI parts collection is still in boxes .... but at least the motor is at the machine shop finally. I just got alot more motivated hearing your car run though!!
Old 10-01-2012, 06:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

That's great man. It's nice when a project finally comes together!

I've dealt with Shane before at Thunder and he went above and beyond for me. He's pretty much the only person I will do business with. He spend a ridiculous amount of time with me setting up my valvetrain and all I spent was like 135 bucks.

Let us know what numbers you get. You have a smart guy tuning it.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:29 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Here's where I get beaten with the proverbial "forum stick..."
My PTV clearence check consisted of turning the motor over all assembled and when it turned freely, I felt good about it.

Is that half ***? You're damned right it is, and I even know it. Time constraints killed me on this build. I even had a set of flycutting tools on standby just in case, but when I got her buttoned up Tuesday @ 1am, I had to be at the dock for crew change Tuesday @ 11pm. Not a lot of time. Just enough to heat cycle the springs a few times, a short drive, change oil, and get to work.

Car drove great on the way down. Stoplights sucked, but I figured it out.

I very well may have .020 on the exhaust for all I know. With the studs though, I do plan to remove the heads when I have my 14 days off and check the right way. Probably not what folks wanted to hear, but it is what it is.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:40 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Originally Posted by mercccc
Good to see its up and running. Should make great power. My FTI parts collection is still in boxes .... but at least the motor is at the machine shop finally. I just got alot more motivated hearing your car run though!!
You think mine sounds good, I'd LOVE to hear an idle clip of that Hellraiser! I believe it's the Hellion's little brother. I figure when I go 383 that very well may be the cam I go with, or similar. I'll just fill out the sheet and let Ed do his magic. It's like Christmas waiting for it to come in the mail just so you can pull the cam card and see what you got

I've also been curious as to the ever elusive "Tiger Shark" grind that Ed does. There's not a whole lot of info out on it.

Worse case scenario, IMHO is I have a few slight eyebrows on the pistons. The car runs too good to have an issue I think. If **** hits the fan though and I miss a shift, I go shopping for a 383 rotating assembly and send the heads to Tony for new guides, some hand work, and hopefully turned down LS3 valves.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

If it makes you feel any after, my clearance was with a 224/230 cam, only .070 though. Your probably running pretty tight but hopefully everything will be alright, killer build by the way.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Geoff will get that stalling tuned right out. Mine did the same stuff after cam but when he got it right it drives like stock. Your bringing it to the right person. Btw sounds great.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:32 PM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by JustAFooL
If it makes you feel any after, my clearance was with a 224/230 cam, only .070 though. Your probably running pretty tight but hopefully everything will be alright, killer build by the way.
Ditto, .075 exh, AFR 205's, 62 cc chambers, GM MLS

Been to 7000 a couple of times. Runs fine.

Will of course depend on the cam timing.

You use iron guides with all we hear about roller rockers for .600+ lift?

Ron
Old 10-01-2012, 07:44 PM
The Scammer Hammer

After much talk with Tooley, yes, the chance is there with the lift, as I have bronze guides. The biggest thing to worry about is spring pressure. Over 400# and you really have to worry about scrubbing the valve tip and the rockers themselves. Brian has done all the testing.

The lift on the cam isn't "ideal" due to the bronze guides, but with it being a dedicated street car the wear and tear will be at a much lower and slower rate.

I had Scorpion's before, and even considered the YT's (Until all the recent threads) but Ed as well as Mike @ New Era said ditch them. The weight isn't worth it. Comp trunions in a stocker, they all said.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Something to consider in the future, Kurt Urban has been testing stock rockers with an anti friction coating on them. He says it reduces deflection considerably. If I hadn't just put the comp trunions in, I'd be seriously considering it.... Looks like a killer combo though. Should be a ton of fun on the street!
Old 10-01-2012, 08:10 PM
The Scammer Hammer

That's something I hadn't heard about until just now. I'd like to get in touch with him and find out more details.

You'd think eventually, someone would make a strong roller rocker that wasn't so heavy on the tip, and not cost 999. Then again we can't even get a dedicated dual valvespring mic for LS engines.....
Old 10-01-2012, 08:41 PM
On The Tree

Besides dyno numbers, any plans for some racing! I have a feeling this thing could raise a few eye brows.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
That's something I hadn't heard about until just now. I'd like to get in touch with him and find out more details.

You'd think eventually, someone would make a strong roller rocker that wasn't so heavy on the tip, and not cost 999. Then again we can't even get a dedicated dual valvespring mic for LS engines.....
Here's a thread about it from another site. Sorry if it's against the rules but I feel it's good info.
http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=496882

Quick Reply: Ed Curtis Cam / AFR 205 Install / Results