Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Low Trac after new wheels

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 06:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Trac after new wheels

Ok I just bought a 98 Trans am and when I checked it out the abs inop and brake light were on. I put some new wheels on it staggered but within the limits that it shouldnt set off the low trac light but it does!

Front tires are 245-35-19 and rears are 275-30-19 which was recommended in another thread thats only a difference of like .25 in diameter.

After I installed the wheels the abs inop and brake light are no longer on, just the low trac light. And it wasnt on before just the other two, also it only comes on after 10 mph and when I brake you can feel the pedal pulsating from the abs and hear it.

One more thing I didnt notice this before but there is a squeaking as the wheels are turning while I am driving.

Thanks for any help.
-Buddy-
Old 10-06-2012, 06:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't help much otherwise, but pull you abs fuse before you have a wreck.

What size tires were on before and is this a stock 10 bolt. Do you know why the lights were on before the change? You may have a bad or disconnected ws sensor. A code reader will help you narrow which one.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:30 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the quick reply the factory wheels were on it before with 245's up front and 255's in the back. Not sure why the abs light was on I didnt get it checked before I put the wheels on. The rear end looks to be stock has a chrome cover on it not sure if they just put that on there for looks or if they messed with anything inside.

-Buddy-
Old 10-06-2012, 08:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Abs inop and brake seem to occur when things are really screwed, low Trac when they're just a little screwed.

Adding the variable of staggered tires to an existing problem is not going to help us understand matters. That said, it seems that your sensors are working, but don't like what they see. Post the full size info of the old setup and maybe looking at the difference will help us understand a little better.

That said, have you changed or done ANYTHING else to the car since this has occurred? Changed the brakes, pulled the axles, yanked on wires, hit a squirrel?

Also, I'm no expert but I can find my *** with both hands with some difficulty...I like car puzzles and have a little experience with Trac control on these cars so maybe I can help...many other more knowledgeable folks on here though.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:34 AM
roy
TECH Resident

You have .71inch difference between front and rear diameter. Thats almost 3/4 inch difference.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:13 PM
On The Tree

Well I put the factory wheels back on and noticed that the fronts are 245's and the rears are 255 so there is a slight height difference there to. But it still does all the same things with the abs.

-Buddy-
Old 10-07-2012, 06:55 PM
On The Tree

Also forgot to mention that my speedo is off, low speeds its 5-6 higher speeds 10mph faster then what i am really going.

-Buddy-
Old 10-18-2012, 11:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have the same issue but mine comes on after a good 5 miles of driving but I run 185/60r15 and 275/60r15

Quick Reply: Low Trac after new wheels