Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Me vs HCI + 125 shot 95 Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 01:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Me vs HCI + 125 shot 95 Cobra

Well first let me share a little info on my car, and my dyno results. Long story short...it made 405 rwhp with mods in sig. My tuner said all basic HCI LS1's he sees that run on his dyno make anywhere from 390-420 rwhp...and we are talking 6-speed cars here...I know cause I asked him lol. In fact a few days prior he dynoed a HCI 1999 WS6 with Trick Flow heads, M4 cam, Fast intake, long tubes, 6-speed, 4.10's, etc...and it pulled 413 rwhp.

Now on to the race I had today Okay just for reference my buddy has a 95 Cobra with full bolt ons, Trick Flow top end kit, 3.73's, 125 shot of N2O, and custom tune. On that same dyno he pulled 380 rwhp, and close to 500 rwtq. We only got one clean run in starting at about 60 mph in 3rd gear. At the top of 4th it was a dead nuts race. I thought i'd pull him a tad on the high end, but it really was that DEAD EVEN lol!! So all things considered...dyno numbers, mods, weight, gearing, etc...does this sound about right to you guys? I'm just curious what you all think here

Thanks
Old 10-07-2012, 01:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
Well first let me share a little info on my car, and my dyno results. Long story short...it made 405 rwhp with mods in sig. My tuner said all basic HCI LS1's he sees that run on his dyno make anywhere from 390-420 rwhp...and we are talking 6-speed cars here...I know cause I asked him lol. In fact a few days prior he dynoed a HCI 1999 WS6 with Trick Flow heads, M4 cam, Fast intake, long tubes, 6-speed, 4.10's, etc...and it pulled 413 rwhp.

Now on to the race I had today Okay just for reference my buddy has a 95 Cobra with full bolt ons, Trick Flow top end kit, 3.73's, 125 shot of N2O, and custom tune. On that same dyno he pulled 380 rwhp, and close to 500 rwtq. We only got one clean run in starting at about 60 mph in 3rd gear. At the top of 4th it was a dead nuts race. I thought i'd pull him a tad on the high end, but it really was that DEAD EVEN lol!! So all things considered...dyno numbers, mods, weight, gearing, etc...does this sound about right to you guys? I'm just curious what you all think here

Thanks
Id say for what the cars are and what they made for power... yes that sounds right. However. 380whp with a built motor and 125 shot is weak. If it was a good motor build it should have made into the 500s even on a stingy dyno. But all and all. Yes for what your cars made for power. That sounds right to me.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks man! Yes I agree the numbers sound weak...all around, but when my tuner said all the HCI LS1's he has dynoed turn no more than 420 rwhp (no matter what the HCI setup is) it made me feel a little better lol. In fact the one that made 413 rwhp a few days prior had much more expensive and better overall heads than me, a bigger more aggressive cam, a better intake, and about the same bolt ons, gears, etc...I don't get it lol
Old 10-07-2012, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

i didnt mean yours seemed low. Yours sound right for that dyno when compared to the other cars. Im saying that sn95 has a weak motor build. Sounds like its a jegs catalog build lol. But either way. Good run. Car sounds like its performing well
Old 10-07-2012, 02:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Gotcha! Honestly (and on this same dyno actually) i've seen more than a few old HCI 5.0's with a 100-150 shot, and they are always around the same hp as my buddy's ride. Of course some make a little better, but not much in all honesty. Same with his n/a numbers which are around 295 rwhp I believe...some make like 10-20 hp more, but that's it for the most part
Old 10-07-2012, 02:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Gotcha! Honestly (and on this same dyno actually) i've seen more than a few old HCI 5.0's with a 100-150 shot, and they are always around the same hp as my buddy's ride. Of course some make a little better, but not much in all honesty. Same with his n/a numbers which are around 295 rwhp I believe...some make like 10-20 hp more, but that's it for the most part
A really good running 302 setup can make as much power as a good running h/c ls1. Local friend of mine has an NA 306ci (simple bore for forged bottom end). Car makes 457whp and traps 127. Still a hydrolic roller pump gas car. That car is a bit on the aggressive side as far as cam specs are concerned. However... theres no reason you cant make the power that car did on motor. He still running a stock bottom end?
Old 10-07-2012, 02:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yes he is still on the stock bottom end. It's just a basic Trick Flow top end kit with a good custom dyno tune from a reputable tuner in the area. Wow...I really didn't know they could make that much n/a power and still be street friendly, and run pump gas lol. The ones i've seen have been basic top end kits with full bolt ons, and a good custom tune...and that's it.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes he is still on the stock bottom end. It's just a basic Trick Flow top end kit with a good custom dyno tune from a reputable tuner in the area. Wow...I really didn't know they could make that much n/a power and still be street friendly, and run pump gas lol. The ones i've seen have been basic top end kits with full bolt ons, and a good custom tune...and that's it.
well my buddies car isnt the most street friendly.. but thats not because of the motor. Mainly its transmission/ rear end/ wheel/tire combo. But like any older motor, it takes a good understanding about how engines work to really get power out of them. The LS platform is just stupid easy to make power out of. Almost any heads or any cam seem to make great power. It really is a fool proof NA power plant... which is why its such a strong setup. Whats really crazy is to see that knowledge of how to build an old SBC applied to building an LS motor. Big dollar cylinder heads and crazy top end/bottom end tricks to get savage power out of them. 90 percent of the H/C 302s you will run into wont make great power. Not because they cant, but because its just not as cookie cutter easy as the ls.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

That's really interesting, and makes good sense as well. Being that the LS1 is so easy and cheap to extract good n/a power from, is probably why we so many LS cars going this route I would imagine. You know it's funny...i've rode in many Mustangs with various setups (I came from one as well) and even the ones with higher hp than me (my buddy's ride being the exception) don't have the power on the street or track compared to a good running LS1. Not sure why that is, but it really does seem to be true from what i've experienced
Old 10-07-2012, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Thanks man! Yes I agree the numbers sound weak...all around, but when my tuner said all the HCI LS1's he has dynoed turn no more than 420 rwhp (no matter what the HCI setup is) it made me feel a little better lol. In fact the one that made 413 rwhp a few days prior had much more expensive and better overall heads than me, a bigger more aggressive cam, a better intake, and about the same bolt ons, gears, etc...I don't get it lol
That Mustang's power numbers are terrible. And your tuner is wrong big time about head cam LS1s.

Originally Posted by evangto87
A really good running 302 setup can make as much power as a good running h/c ls1. Local friend of mine has an NA 306ci (simple bore for forged bottom end). Car makes 457whp and traps 127. Still a hydrolic roller pump gas car. That car is a bit on the aggressive side as far as cam specs are concerned. However... theres no reason you cant make the power that car did on motor. He still running a stock bottom end?
Yup

The tune on that Mustang is terrible.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Mike Morris, my tuners dyno numbers may be on the low side, but he is not lying about the numbers lol If he says all basic HCI LS1 are making no more than 420 rwhp on his dyno then I believe him lol. He is actually a well known very reputable Mustang tuner, and anyone who knows him will vouch for his tuning skills. I'm just saying..
Old 10-07-2012, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Sorry I disagree with your tuner. A "basic" head cam LS1 can do anywhere from 360-480RWHP with a six speed and this comes from being around them since 1998.. regardless what he has seen on his own dyno. There are so many cam choices,head choices,porting is why I think that is an outright wrong statement. I am just saying...
Old 10-07-2012, 04:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

I hear ya man, and certainly respect what you're saying. When he said most all basic HCI LS1's i'm sure he was ruling out strokers, forged built setups, and wild HCI combos in general. Either that or he has never dynoed any combos like that. The LS1 T/A that I mentioned earlier in this thread is his brothers ride, and it only made like 8 more hp than me with a better (and definitely more expensive lol) HCI combo all around.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ls1 tech. Where everyone is a tuner!!!!
Old 10-07-2012, 04:27 PM
On The Tree

For the race being that close, I believe it. You started in 3rd Al's the LS1 powerband.
The 5.0 does not have any top end. I think the race would be different from a dig and a 1st gear roll. The mustang should have you by 4 cars in the 1/4.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:34 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by evangto87
well my buddies car isnt the most street friendly.. but thats not because of the motor. Mainly its transmission/ rear end/ wheel/tire combo. But like any older motor, it takes a good understanding about how engines work to really get power out of them. The LS platform is just stupid easy to make power out of. Almost any heads or any cam seem to make great power. It really is a fool proof NA power plant... which is why its such a strong setup. Whats really crazy is to see that knowledge of how to build an old SBC applied to building an LS motor. Big dollar cylinder heads and crazy top end/bottom end tricks to get savage power out of them. 90 percent of the H/C 302s you will run into wont make great power. Not because they cant, but because its just not as cookie cutter easy as the ls.
Is that that vibrant93 guy? If so his car doesn't even make over 399whp. Ive literally yet to see a H/C/I 302 make 4's or even well into the 4's. I remember going to a mustang shop and they were making a big deal about makeing 318whp with a H/C/I setup.

Edit: wait are you talking to the wheels or crank?
Old 10-07-2012, 04:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

I hear ya on the LS1's top end punch, but to be honest I don't think his Cobra would be a lot stronger from a lower roll at all. I've driven it, and it doesn't feel exceptional down low specifically. He has the down low torque advantage, but I have the cubes and gear advantage. Plus my torque and hp numbers hold much better from like 4k on up where as his don't. So with that said it should apply to every gear...not just third and fourth IMO. I'm sure him and I will get other chances soon enough
Old 10-07-2012, 04:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Admantium, 318 ish at the wheels is about the highest i've seen as well from a "basic" well tuned HCI 5.0.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by adamantium
Is that that vibrant93 guy? If so his car doesn't even make over 399whp. Ive literally yet to see a H/C/I 302 make 4's or even well into the 4's. I remember going to a mustang shop and they were making a big deal about makeing 318whp with a H/C/I setup.

lmao.. no.. no hes not. Not everyone is on a forum. Most people arent actually. His car has gone 11.2 at 127 (not the best driver). His car makes every bit of 457whp. Its a fast car. Its an NA 306. If you havent seen a 302 make into the 4s... then you havent seen anyone build one who knows anything about engines
Old 10-07-2012, 05:11 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by adamantium

Then that mustang shop is weak, there is a whole class of guys out there running GT40 (iron, stock heads) into the 350rwhp range.

Now, although this is not the norm and you need to know what you're doing to get these numbers, its not impossible and 318rwhp on a h/c/i 302 is no where near "impressive" and that is about the normal for a cookie cutter build with ots cam/heads/intake.

As for this cobra, a h/c/i/125 shot 5.0 only making 380rwhp is WEAK, its either a VERY small ots cam, mismatched parts, or a horrible tune.

Quick Reply: Me vs HCI + 125 shot 95 Cobra