Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

need help my wheel lock broke

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 07:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help my wheel lock broke

i have a 98 ws6...i had tt2 rims on it and today i was putting the factory ones back on and got the back ones on...went to do the fronts and the wheel lock broke...same thing on both sides..one cracked but i got it off...but the passenger side locking lug broke and a quarter of it is broken off...how can i remove it? can a tire shop remove it? any help is appreciated need to get it off asap..only car i can drive right now
Old 10-08-2012, 07:42 PM
Staging Lane

heres pics of what it looks like...not sure were to begin at...removal is gonna be tuff
Attached Thumbnails need help my wheel lock broke-broken-nut.jpg   need help my wheel lock broke-broken-nut-2.jpg   need help my wheel lock broke-broken-nut-3.jpg  
Old 10-08-2012, 07:45 PM
Teching In

The way i have gotten them off in the past is to take a deep well socket just slightly bigger than the lock and hammer it on there and try to turn it off
Old 10-08-2012, 07:47 PM
Staging Lane

they seem cheap and the walls on them are pretty weak...i seen some ppl said to beat a socket over it but not sure if thats possible on these style locks..other option is to break the stud or cut it off from the back side of hub..just dont wanna damage the wheel in the process of removing.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:49 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2000sprayedss
The way i have gotten them off in the past is to take a deep well socket just slightly bigger than the lock and hammer it on there and try to turn it off
ill try it...onlt option i have really other than cut it at back of hub..
Old 10-08-2012, 07:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Yes a tire shop can remove it.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:58 PM
Teching In

I paid a tire shop to remove 1 before and all they did was the same thing I said to do except they charged me $20,I would try to get it off with a socket first,you really have nothing to lose other than maybe breaking a socket
Old 10-08-2012, 10:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

12 point sockets work better when doing that, I just did that to my truck last weekend and the working room is A LOT tighter than what you have there. Just hammer slowly and get the socket as accurate as possible around it.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:52 PM
On The Tree

Tool manufacturers do make socket kits for removing stripped/broken lug nuts and what not, I know Snap-On for certain. Air Hammer or hammer/chisel may work. The thin wall that is left I dont think will last very long when banging on it in the direction to loosen the nut. But, after that breaks off, the chisel should dig into the "meatier" part of the nut and remove it. I have seen the socket method done as well. If you can heat up the socket to make it expand a bit, hammer it on and then let it cool onto the nut for about 5-10 minutes (depending on how hot you get it), that should give you a better chance of the socket not slipping off. http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog
You may be able to find a similar tool at Sears or a Harbor Freight center instead of chasing down a tool guy.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to the tire shop & theyll will use a torch believe me wont harm or damage the wheels, I had the same problem on my formula with chrome zr1s, tire shop was rushing to mount my rear wheels on & one of the jackass who worked there broke my lock in half. Half the lock was stuck in the lugnut hole, they used the torch to brake the stud, They bought me a new set of lugnuts w/key locks at autozone & replaced the broken stud. I was pretty pissed what they did, & glad they didnt damage my rim. Mines was exactly like yours in the photo.

Quick Reply: need help my wheel lock broke