Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OIL LEAK 'the bane of my existence'

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 03:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default OIL LEAK 'the bane of my existence'

Okay I installed a new clutch, flywheel, pilot bearing, slave cylinder and throw out bearing a couple months back and while I was down there I decided to replace the rear main seal as well. I also replaced the rear cover gasket with a seemingly good looking 'used' gasket. My buddy has a car lift and is a very knowledge mechanic and LS enthusiast. He has built motors and is currently swapping his car from a manual to an automatic just to give you an idea of his level of skill. He did pretty much all of the hard work on my car but I was there to help with simple stuff. Prior to the clutch install I had no oil leaking, but now it is leaking from the weep hole in-between the transmission and engine. I followed the dripping oil up the drivers side of the block up to the back of the engine. I replaced the drivers side valve cover (didn't fix it). I pulled of the intake and noticed the opsu and cps area was oily and dirty plus the opsu was finger loose. So I snugged the opsu up cleaned up the area and its still leaking. It 'appears' to be leaking out of the weep hole still and makes about a cd size oil spot whenever its parked. I really don't want to pull the trans again unless im positive its coming from there.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by cknoma2005; 10-10-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cam sensor. It is open to the bell housing. Or the rear cover, did you have it off?
Old 10-10-2012, 04:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put some tracer dye in the oil. Then you'll be able to see where it starts from. If you don't see it in the back of the intake then it is likely the rear main/housing unfortunately.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:27 PM
TECH Regular

Is it possible that your oil cooler block off plate is leaking ? Directly above the oil filter.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
Cam sensor. It is open to the bell housing. Or the rear cover, did you have it off?
Yes we look the rear cover off. I thought the cam sensor just went into the block?
Old 10-10-2012, 08:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lt1pwr1
Put some tracer dye in the oil. Then you'll be able to see where it starts from. If you don't see it in the back of the intake then it is likely the rear main/housing unfortunately.
I think the dye would be the smartest thing to do.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by reeperz28
Is it possible that your oil cooler block off plate is leaking ? Directly above the oil filter.
That could be a possibility, but there is no oil on the filter and I can see oil higher up on the drivers side bell housing. Right where it meets the engine.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:20 PM
12 Second Club

sorry if this comes off a lil harsh but why in the name of god would you replace a used gasket with another used gasket? Especially when theres so much effort involved in getting to it again?
Old 10-11-2012, 10:49 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by nomasterase
sorry if this comes off a lil harsh but why in the name of god would you replace a used gasket with another used gasket? Especially when theres so much effort involved in getting to it again?
The rear cover gasket was over looked when I did the clutch install. In retrospective I should have never fooled with the rear main seal at all.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:55 AM
On The Tree

The dye is going in tonight. If I determine that the oil is coming from inside the bell housing, is it necessary to use the alignment too when re installing the rear cover and gasket? Should I add rtv to the bottom off the rear housing? What are the proper steps to take?
Old 10-11-2012, 11:43 AM
On The Tree

Here is a video. Not the best I know but room is limited under there.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar problem with my car. It was leaking from the center of the crankshaft. There's a cap on the end that's exposed to the crankcase and it can get loose and leak oil into the bellhousing. So two options: pull the oil pan and fix the leak, or try some JB Weld in the crank hole. I usd option 2 and no more leak. Also, keep in mind with that much oil leaking, your clutch disc is shot. Ask me how I know!!!
Old 10-11-2012, 01:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BAD2000TA
I had a similar problem with my car. It was leaking from the center of the crankshaft. There's a cap on the end that's exposed to the crankcase and it can get loose and leak oil into the bellhousing. So two options: pull the oil pan and fix the leak, or try some JB Weld in the crank hole. I usd option 2 and no more leak. Also, keep in mind with that much oil leaking, your clutch disc is shot. Ask me how I know!!!
Are you talking about the oil galley plug? I didn't touch it. I mean I replaced the pilot bearing but it was cut out with a di-grinder and the plug never got touched. Is it possible that its just leaking from the bottom of the rear cover? Their was rtv on the lower edge before we pulled the rear cover and I know we didn't put any rtv back on. The clutch doesn't feel any different.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:22 AM
Banned

When you pushed the new bearing in are you sure you didn't move the plug or disturb it?
Old 10-12-2012, 08:45 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Camaroo1
When you pushed the new bearing in are you sure you didn't move the plug or disturb it?
I'm pretty sure I didn't touch it. If the galley plug is leaking, is there a way I can tell by removing the starter and feeling around inside? I assume the teeth on the flywheel would be all oily and and the back side would be dry. Meaning it is leaking onto the flywheel face and getting slung outward. If it is just the rear main or rear cover leaking, then the flywheel should be seemingly dry? Is that correct? The reason why I ask is because the clutch doesn't feel like its slipping.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try putting the car on a lift, remove the small dust (black plastic) cover between the engine & trans, on the driver's side. Then rent an optic scope/camera & look into the bellhousing/rear cover area. Your friend just may have a scope. If not, perhaps your local parts store has one. The 'rental' allows you your money to be refunded when you return the scope.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:14 PM
On The Tree

I've had this same issue happen to me just this week. I did a A4 to T56 swap about 500 miles ago. Prior to that I had zero issues with oil leaks. Just this past Friday I noticed a leak in the same area that you are talking about.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:46 AM
On The Tree

Well, I took the intake back off, because the opsu looked wet with oil when I check it with a bore-a-scope. I replaced the original valley cover gasket, knock sensor oil seals, knock sensors (cus they looked rusted), knock sensor harness, opsu (added extra thread sealer), and cam position sensor o-ring. Torqued everything to spec. Now I'm gonna drive it and see if it continues to leak. If it does I'm gonna pull the starter and see if I can get a better look at the rear cover through the bore-a-scope.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:09 AM
On The Tree

Still leaking.....but I check out the inside of the bell-housing with a bore-a-scope again and I clearly see that it running out from behind the flywheel. The flywheel appears to be dry front and back so I believe it is leaking from the bottom of the rear cover.

I have a new issue. I ended up replacing the valley cover gasket, opsu, and cam position sensor o-ring. Since I had the valley cover off I also replaced the knock sensors, knock sensor oil seal and knock sensor harness. I bought brand new BWD knock sensors and a new Dorman knock sensor harness from Oreilly Auto Parts. Put everything back together and when I started it up my SEL started flashing, but the car was running fine. I turned it off and restarted the car back up and the flashing SEL went away. After driving the car a week now It has only happened one other time and turning the car off and back on made it go away. I had it scanned for codes at Oreilly, but they said they didn't see anything and wouldn't be able to unless the SEL remained on.

Not sure what to think.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:44 PM
On The Tree

That sounds exactly like my situation. I pulled my tranny and clutch out this past weekend. What I found is identical to what you've found. The clutch assembly and flywheel surfaces was dry, no oil. I found no oil around my OPS or CPS. Pan gasket looked fine.

I changed my rear seal and rear cover seal and everything seems ok now. I'm afraid to look under my car though

Quick Reply: OIL LEAK 'the bane of my existence'