Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 in trans am

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 09:58 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 in trans am

Hey guys this is my first post here, I usually hang out on hotrodders but i figured it would be a good idea to ask for advice on here too.
I have a 1978 trans am that i want to drop the 5.3L into. I'm going to back it with a 4 speed muncie. Now from what i've found out so far is that i will need a 4.8 truck flywheel with an ls2 pilot bearing to make the trans work with the lsx engine.
Now for fitting the engine in the car i know i will have these problems:
Hood clearance (need ls1 intake, injectors, and adapters for truck harness)
ps pump hits crossmember (relocate with new brackets)
alt mounted too high (lower mount bracket)
idler will hit tb with ls1 intake (relocate idler pulley)

Now i know it can't possibly be this easy so thats why I'm here. Is there anything I'm overlooking? Or any problems i will have? Thanks in advance!
Old 10-12-2012, 11:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know about your Engine to trans fitment, but I imagine it can't be to difficult. When I had the TH350 behind my LS engine, I did have to get a special flexplate, GM made a kit that included the crank bolts - of course, I discovered this *after* buying the stuff separately. I'd look for something similar, but for a manual trans.

If you have a passenger car intake, you shouldn't have any hood clearance issues. Truck intake... dunno. Some people do it. I have a carb intake on mine, and the shaker comes in contact with the hood.

Alternator... there are aftermarket brakets that can make it fit. If you don't have any of the front drive accessories (PS, ALT, Idlers, brackets, etc), and your budget permits, GMPP 119155067 is an all-inclusive kit modeled after the LS7 belt drive. If you don't use the AC pump, your engine with drop right in without fitment issues.

Oil pan - lots of spirited discussion here. I've got a corvette 2-piece batwing in mine. Direct drop in, with no interference. Other people use aftermarket or one of the GM muscle car swap pans. Check out the pics below.

The high pressure PS hose is for a 2001 Base Corvette ($11 at Rock Auto). The steering box for a 1980-1981 TA takes the metric fitting without any special adapters. It's also a quick ratio box (two and a half turns lock to lock).

Yellow arrow points to where I tapped a second drain plug, due to the original being close to the frame (red arrow)

Last edited by 1981TA; 10-13-2012 at 12:05 AM.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

If the trans is from 78, it will be a T10 with 26 spline iput shaft. Just get an f body LS1 flywheel/clutch combo.
Kwik and Holley have brackets to relocate your accessories.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:15 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys, very helpful! I'm swapping the muncie for the current auto trans. As for the oil pan i can use the corvette, camaro/tras am, or gto pan right?

Also, i've heard about the need to modify the water pump when using the ls1 intake, is that true?
Old 10-13-2012, 09:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Water pump depends on the TB you use. A truck L92 (+07) pump will clear a cable TB or 07 and up DBW truck TB. Other TBs will need:
spacers on a 98-02 pump
L99 pump (2010+ camaro)
press the f body pulley farther off the shaft
swap the truck pulley on f body pump
or buy one already done
http://www.foxlinders.com/accessories/waterpump.html

and this should help with the muncie:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-ls-motor.html
Old 10-13-2012, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bigdog7373
Thanks guys, very helpful! I'm swapping the muncie for the current auto trans. As for the oil pan i can use the corvette, camaro/tras am, or gto pan right?

Also, i've heard about the need to modify the water pump when using the ls1 intake, is that true?
I would do a quick read on the LSX oil pan thread at the top of this section. Lots of good pointers there, plus pics.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1981TA
I would do a quick read on the LSX oil pan thread at the top of this section. Lots of good pointers there, plus pics.
Hmm the truck pan actually looks like a normal sbc pan.... seems like it could be easily modded to fit. But the moroso piece is only $300 from jegs.

Thanks for the help so far guys.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gto pan has front sump, won't work. I used CTS-V pan in Chevelle, the crossmember should be very close to a-body. Truck pan hangs way too low, I tried and cracked it on the first test drive. As for the water pump, I used ls1 intake with stock 03 truck TB and had to switch to LS1 waterpump. To save almost $100 on waterpump spacers I swapped the truck w/p pulley to the ls1 pump and didn't need spacers. I made my own idler relocator. Check out my thread, you might find some useful info!
Old 10-14-2012, 09:24 PM
On The Tree

You contacted me on youtube glad to see that you made it to LS1Tech!
Old 10-15-2012, 10:50 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bronx_peanut
You contacted me on youtube glad to see that you made it to LS1Tech!
Haha yea Figured a forum specific to ls swaps would be a good place to get info
Old 10-15-2012, 10:54 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 99VetteFRC
Gto pan has front sump, won't work. I used CTS-V pan in Chevelle, the crossmember should be very close to a-body. Truck pan hangs way too low, I tried and cracked it on the first test drive. As for the water pump, I used ls1 intake with stock 03 truck TB and had to switch to LS1 waterpump. To save almost $100 on waterpump spacers I swapped the truck w/p pulley to the ls1 pump and didn't need spacers. I made my own idler relocator. Check out my thread, you might find some useful info!
Yea the gto pan is a messed up looking thing. I just need something that looks like an sbc pan. What part of the truck pan is too low? If it's just the sump part then i could just modify it and make it fit it seems like. Unless the whole pan is too low and it will hit the frame?
Old 10-15-2012, 07:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea the gto pan is a messed up looking thing. I just need something that looks like an sbc pan. What part of the truck pan is too low? If it's just the sump part then i could just modify it and make it fit it seems like. Unless the whole pan is too low and it will hit the frame?
It hangs way too low, and hits the ground. The CTS-V worked really well for me.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:12 AM
Staging Lane

It hangs way too low, and hits the ground. The CTS-V worked really well for me.
From the pictures in the link that was posted the ctv pan is 2.5 to 3" shorter than the truck pan. I guess i'll see if i can modify the truck pan to be shorter before i go buy a replacement.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

From the pictures in the link that was posted the ctv pan is 2.5 to 3" shorter than the truck pan. I guess i'll see if i can modify the truck pan to be shorter before i go buy a replacement.
When you mod a truck pan you lose capacity.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:57 AM
Staging Lane

When you mod a truck pan you lose capacity.
Yea that came to my mind too. But the truck pan is 6 quarts i believe, and if i take 2 inches off the bottom i dont think i'd lose more than a quart's worth capacity.
Of course I'll check and see how much it will hold before i even think about putting it in the car. I want to regasket the engine and throw a cam in too so I'll have plenty of time to get this done. If i have to switch to the fbody or cts pan then so be it, but i'd at least try to mod the truck pan and save a couple bucks.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea that came to my mind too. But the truck pan is 6 quarts i believe, and if i take 2 inches off the bottom i dont think i'd lose more than a quart's worth capacity.
Of course I'll check and see how much it will hold before i even think about putting it in the car. I want to regasket the engine and throw a cam in too so I'll have plenty of time to get this done. If i have to switch to the fbody or cts pan then so be it, but i'd at least try to mod the truck pan and save a couple bucks.
You also have to mod the pick up.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

...or just go with something known to work. The 'vette pan holds 6.5 Quarts and has better ground clearance than any of the others.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1981TA
...or just go with something known to work. The 'vette pan holds 6.5 Quarts and has better ground clearance than any of the others.
How much will this run me? I don't want to go broke over this swap.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

I bought my CTS-V pan for $195 on ebay and it came with gasket, pickup, windage tray and dipstick/tube.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:30 AM
Staging Lane

I bought my CTS-V pan for $195 on ebay and it came with gasket, pickup, windage tray and dipstick/tube.
That's not bad at all, less than i was thinking it would be.

Quick Reply: 5.3 in trans am