LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Electric Water Pump Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 12:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric Water Pump Question

Hey guy, i'm pretty new to the LT1 platform. I recently bought a 97 Z28 that had a good bit of work done to it including a meziere electric water pump. The engine is pretty fresh (only about 1000 miles or so since it was rebuilt and i think the water pump is fairly new. Yesterday i had it up on my lift and i noticed there was a steady drop of coolant comin from the weep hole in the bottom of the pump. Does that mean the pump is bad? Do they make some kind of rebuild kit for it instead of buying another $270 pump? I honestly dont know how old the pump is but it looks pretty clean which leads me to believe its fairly new. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:53 PM
TECH Resident

Mez can rebuild it. Call em and ask
Old 10-12-2012, 12:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

is the weep from the bottom of the aluminum pump housing or from the bottom of the electric motor housing?
Old 10-12-2012, 01:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
is the weep from the bottom of the aluminum pump housing or from the bottom of the electric motor housing?
x2?

asdf
Old 10-12-2012, 01:02 PM
Staging Lane

Its from the little weep hole at the bottom of the motor housing. Sending it to mez for a rebuild sounds like a good bit of downtime. I wonder if the price difference would be worth it.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:06 PM
11 Second Club

You could buy a second and still send this one for rebuild so next time you have a spare. Most of the advocates of electric pumps on the street specifically say to keep a second one onhand because they can fail suddenly and completely and the parts store down the road wont have one.

If you want to keep it cheap you could even just get a Summit house brand or something as the spare and run it for a few weeks till the higher flow Meziere comes back.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:08 PM
Staging Lane

damn, do these things drop out this often?
Old 10-12-2012, 01:54 PM
Staging Lane

also, if i bought a summit brand one would that fit into the pump housing? sorry, like i said, i'm not real familiar with these engines yet
Old 10-12-2012, 02:03 PM
11 Second Club

Not that they die that often but if they do as you know a replacement is not 3 miles down the road and the most common failure mode on the electrics is sudden and complete stopping. Mechanical pumps tend to do like your electric is and weep but not stop turning, if you let the weep go on the electric it is likely to stop turning but a mechanical will keep pumping till there is no water left to pump. A FEW mechanical pumps have spun off the impeller or something but those a freak occurrences. In general terms a mechanical usually gives more warning of failure than the electric and is easier to get a replacement on short notice.

IMO the electrics are overdone on the LT1 side of things, a LOT of very stupid people were claiming they moved more water and cooled better for a long time and created a false reasoning for using the electrics and you know how things are, once they are popular the popularity breeds more popularity. They absolutely are worth about .1 at the strip especially if used to cool the car between passes BUT they free up that power by moving LESS water and a lot of guys see raised cruise temps by a few degrees because of this and as I said they are more likely to suddenly fail than a mechainical which will usually weep for a long time causing PS slippage which alerts you to the problem.

Since you bought a fresh built engine with an electric though I bet the timing cover is plugged and going back to mechanical now would mean pulling the timing cover to reinstall the drive, likely a new timing set etc so it would be a big project and cost likely as much as a spare electric pump.

The electric is adequate and easy to change.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:09 PM
Staging Lane

Not that they die that often but if they do as you know a replacement is not 3 miles down the road and the most common failure mode on the electrics is sudden and complete stopping. Mechanical pumps tend to do like your electric is and weep but not stop turning, if you let the weep go on the electric it is likely to stop turning but a mechanical will keep pumping till there is no water left to pump. A FEW mechanical pumps have spun off the impeller or something but those a freak occurrences. In general terms a mechanical usually gives more warning of failure than the electric and is easier to get a replacement on short notice.

IMO the electrics are overdone on the LT1 side of things, a LOT of very stupid people were claiming they moved more water and cooled better for a long time and created a false reasoning for using the electrics and you know how things are, once they are popular the popularity breeds more popularity. They absolutely are worth about .1 at the strip especially if used to cool the car between passes BUT they free up that power by moving LESS water and a lot of guys see raised cruise temps by a few degrees because of this and as I said they are more likely to suddenly fail than a mechainical which will usually weep for a long time causing PS slippage which alerts you to the problem.

Since you bought a fresh built engine with an electric though I bet the timing cover is plugged and going back to mechanical now would mean pulling the timing cover to reinstall the drive, likely a new timing set etc so it would be a big project and cost likely as much as a spare electric pump.

The electric is adequate and easy to change.
thats how i initially noticed the leak. my power steering starting going out at idle. yea i really dont mind having the car down for a few days, considering its not my DD anyway. and it looks like a summit brand pump is about $200 as compared to meziere's $270. so i may just go that route. yeah i really dont want to tear the engine back apart just for a mechanical pump. so i;m guessing the summit pump should fit into the housing that holds the mez right now?
Old 10-12-2012, 02:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If the pump is leaking from the weep hole the problem is NOT Meziere's fault but the INSTALLERS. The freeze plug that was supposed to be installed in place of the drive bearing is leaking.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MiniLSx
damn, do these things drop out this often?
Not as much as the gear driven one from the factory.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Unless you get unlucky while turning high RPMs

Snapped the shaft right off the back of the pump in my wifes car last year while doing a few Tuning pulls to 6,900
Old 10-12-2012, 04:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
If the pump is leaking from the weep hole the problem is NOT Meziere's fault but the INSTALLERS. The freeze plug that was supposed to be installed in place of the drive bearing is leaking.
So are you saying if i take the pump off and reseal the plug i should be alright? Or did the leaking coolant roast the pump too?
Old 10-12-2012, 04:19 PM
On The Tree

had a csr on my car for years without a problem. i wouldnt shy away from the electric pump just because of a little problem. they work great when installed properly
Old 10-12-2012, 04:26 PM
Staging Lane

I'm definitely not shying away from electric. I'm just trying to narrow down exactly what i have to fix so i can avoid replacing anything unneccessary
Old 10-12-2012, 06:04 PM
Staging Lane

If it's leaking from the weep hole on the Meziere pump. it will be the on the black flange that the electric motor bolts to, not on the GM pump housing. Sometime if your engine has not been run for a long time this seals will leak. I would run the pump for about 20-30 minutes after you have warmed the engine up. If that doesn't clear it up call meziere for a rebuild. If the pump is new it might be coverd under the 2 year warranty. Cost is norammly around $100 and around 2 day turnaround time.

Call Mezieres and ask for Jerry
Old 10-12-2012, 06:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1leg
If it's leaking from the weep hole on the Meziere pump. it will be the on the black flange that the electric motor bolts to, not on the GM pump housing. Sometime if your engine has not been run for a long time this seals will leak. I would run the pump for about 20-30 minutes after you have warmed the engine up. If that doesn't clear it up call meziere for a rebuild. If the pump is new it might be coverd under the 2 year warranty. Cost is norammly around $100 and around 2 day turnaround time.

Call Mezieres and ask for Jerry
Thanks man, i'll run it tomorrrow for a bit and keep an eye on it. It started leaking after a few short start/stop sequences
Old 10-13-2012, 11:12 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

OP

I have had the Meziere on since '99 and about 80k miles now. Yours like any WP can fail/leak. As suggested send it to Meziere for the $100 rebuild.

Not sure who makes the Summmit brand (CSR??) and if that connector is same one on Meziere. You could shop for a used Meziere and use that until your existing one gets fixed then use the used one as a spare.

Like Caprice said the EWP's are typically not found in auto part stores so having a spare can make a swap way faster. FWIW I bought a used one 10 years ago for $50 and have never used it but keep it in the trunk with a spare front cover "O" ring. If mine fails I can swap it on the side of the road in 10 min if needed. At some point any WP will fail.

If by chance your motor still has the drive spline on TC and you have the coupler, you could just buy a stock type and slap it on until the EWP get fixed or just deal with the down time as the car is not a DD
Old 10-13-2012, 12:06 PM
Village Troll

Received 519 Likes on 375 Posts

IIRC the brass freeze plug included in the w/p kit for the stock w/p housing blocks the weep hole on the waterpump so it's impossible for coolant to leak out. Meziere can rebuild the pump for a flat fee. I think it's around $100. I had this problem and they said it's probably due to the seal drying out (from not being used). My car has sat for long periods of time not being started. However once the car was being driven at least once a week it would stop leaking. If it's leaking all the time regardless then the seal most likely has to be replaced.

Quick Reply: Electric Water Pump Question